My maiden voyage -Little Wing Travel Cabin

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby nay nay » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi folks. My trailer doesn't really fit the mold, but since I got a lot of help from reading the forum I wanted to share my success. So - I am happy to report that I got my baby built within the 3 months I allocated and got her to the inaguaral campout I planned as a way to keep me on track. I think giving myself a firm 3 months was a good move, because it both made the project feel manageable and kept me moving. I haven't yet checked the weight since the state park is closer to my house than the nearest scale, but it tows like it isn't there. My budget was 2 grand, and I think I made it. I haven't tallied yet.
I'm really happy with how she turned out.
The walls are sandwich of 3/8th cdx, 1 1/2 foam, and 5 mm birch for the interior. They ended up being both lighter and stronger than I expected. I am really curious about the final weight. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Re: My maiden voyage -Little Wing Travel Cabin

Postby nay nay » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Here's another view.Image

nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Postby greygoos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 am

I like it. Thank you for the posting. Have you any interior shots and dimensions?
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 am

Congrats on the new trailer and getting it across the finish line quickly. I think many builds get stalled because people don't have a deadline to shoot for. Some spend so long planning they could have built the trailer twice in the amount of time they spent planning. Good for you, you are out using yours. :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 am

I LIKE IT!! That is a fun camper design and way to go on the timeline.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby MrBo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Very cool. Great job!
nay nay wrote:Hi folks. My trailer doesn't really fit the mold, but since I got a lot of help from reading the forum I wanted to share my success. So - I am happy to report that I got my baby built within the 3 months I allocated and got her to the inaguaral campout I planned as a way to keep me on track. I think giving myself a firm 3 months was a good move, because it both made the project feel manageable and kept me moving. I haven't yet checked the weight since the state park is closer to my house than the nearest scale, but it tows like it isn't there. My budget was 2 grand, and I think I made it. I haven't tallied yet.
I'm really happy with how she turned out.
The walls are sandwich of 3/8th cdx, 1 1/2 foam, and 5 mm birch for the interior. They ended up being both lighter and stronger than I expected. I am really curious about the final weight. Image

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby nay nay » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:52 pm

greygoos wrote:I like it. Thank you for the posting. Have you any interior shots and dimensions?

Thanks -
It's on a 5x8 northern tool trailer, and interior is roughly 4'8"x7'8". Peak height interior is about 6' 3", sloping down to 4'3". I did a lot of simulation of the space using chairs and string and this is the end result dimensions that were my compromises. The interior has an L berth / dinnette that is a natural height for seating and were designed for the height of the Rubbermaid bins that I like to use. I have multiple intended uses for my trailer, and wanted it to be modular in kitchen and bathroom - which can be deployed if I am boondocking, or be used inside if I wish while parked at wally world on a road trip. I'm still finishing up the interior, but I will include a picture of what it is like now.
Thanks again. I am really happy with how she turned out. I was saying that it was the best thing I ever made, but my son objected. . Extra funny - and sweet since he is adopted. But it really was pretty far beyond anything I have ever built, and I had pretty low expectations, so I am stoked! Image

nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Postby nay nay » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 pm

It's really spacious inside. I had 2 friends in there with me having beers at the campout - and we had room for more. One friend is pretty tall, and he was comfortable. I live in western Washington, so I wanted to be able to bring the party inside when the rain starts.

nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Postby nay nay » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Congrats on the new trailer and getting it across the finish line quickly. I think many builds get stalled because people don't have a deadline to shoot for. Some spend so long planning they could have built the trailer twice in the amount of time they spent planning. Good for you, you are out using yours. :applause:

- right you are. And meanwhile I found that I ended up changing many things that I did have designed in advance, though mostly I kept my focus broad and designed as I went based on materials available. The time line kept me cracking along - and is also a super good excuse when someone wants you to socialize but you have a bad case of trailer fever!

nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:38 pm

There is no consensus on a form or single shape that I noticed... You built it. Good use of space... great that you have been out with it already.
:thumbsup:
FYI I notice light coming in the front under the roof in your picture... I hope you saw it and are doing some flashing in that area... I hate wet bedding. its happened too often to me.
:(
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby nay nay » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:10 am

pchast wrote:There is no consensus on a form or single shape that I noticed... You built it. Good use of space... great that you have been out with it already.

FYI I notice light coming in the front under the roof in your picture... I hope you saw it and are doing some flashing in that area... I hate wet bedding. its happened too often to me.
:(

Omg - there is so much left to do - and that is one. It area is actually very much covered by the roof, but bugs will get in through the there for sure . When I said I hit my 3 month goal, it was honestly with hours to spare. But yes - those will be attended to. I was trying to give my body a break from working on it for a few days , but I just can't. I'm just too excited to see how my ideas for the interior will work out. I think I am going to end up with really versatile space. I also believe that it could be lived in and be a great option for improved living for van dwellers or car homeless.

nay nay
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion