Photobucket Changes it's policy

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Photobucket Changes it's policy

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun May 27, 2018 7:03 am

Seems all the negative reaction Photobucket received, brought them to their senses. I was talking with a friend and mentioned that I wanted to try and save my past build journals, before my current subscription expires. I had informed Photobucket that I would not pay 99 bucks a year for them to host my pictures. Well many must have had the same reaction. Here is what they are going to do. You can now get 10GB of storage for $19.95. That is a much better solution. I encourage those of you that have pictures to share that will help out fellow campers and builders to consider hosting their pictures with PB. Pictures are a huge part of what makes this forum as successful as it is.

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-u ... otobucket-
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Photobucket Changes it's policy

Postby Philip » Sun May 27, 2018 8:12 am

Photo Bucket shot them self's in the foot big time. I dought if they ever get the customer base back. Customer trust is not there anymore. That is a huge commodity in a business. When customers do not trust a company. It might as well close.

I was a paying customer for many years. I am not going back.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun May 27, 2018 8:39 am

I understand and for the most part agree with you. But if you value this forum and the people those pictures help then maybe you hold your nose and sign up. To my knowledge there is no other third party hosting site that does what PB does. If you have opened past threads and see the picture missing, it makes explaining a builders question very difficult. Without the use of PM's here any more there is no way to contact someone for a solution that the picture would have solved. In the end you have to do what works best for you. I just ask you to consider those that your pictures might help. Maybe you think of the 20 bucks as support for the forums and not an endorsement of Photo Bucket. :thinking:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Photopuke will never be on my to use list, still many places that offer same service of free (with limited volume of storage which I have not even come close too)....

BUT my favorite place has just been acquired by another picture hosting service and new owners claim no policy change (for now)... Holding my breath...

May have to look at cloud storage although I'm spooked that one day there will be a notice "by the way it will now be $19.99 a month to access everything in your cloud"..

The nature of internet has now become strictly for profit, no more free services... Oh yeah and buy out your competition that offers free services....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Philip » Mon May 28, 2018 6:35 am

Woodbutcher wrote:I understand and for the most part agree with you. But if you value this forum and the people those pictures help then maybe you hold your nose and sign up. To my knowledge there is no other third party hosting site that does what PB does. If you have opened past threads and see the picture missing, it makes explaining a builders question very difficult. Without the use of PM's here any more there is no way to contact someone for a solution that the picture would have solved. In the end you have to do what works best for you. I just ask you to consider those that your pictures might help. Maybe you think of the 20 bucks as support for the forums and not an endorsement of Photo Bucket. :thinking:

I plan on doing just that. My photo bucket renewal comes up next month. I am just going to give it to this site for photo hosting support.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon May 28, 2018 6:52 am

I dumped photobucket when they tried to screw everyone with their pricing policy, all of my shots were deleted & I'm glad I did it. There are other options for images. Reminds me of the big pharmaceutical companies trying to rape consumers with their tactics.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon May 28, 2018 7:13 am

What other options are out there that work like PB? I have hundreds of pictures in dozens of threads that will disappear if I drop PB. I would need to go in and replace each of those pictures with a new Picture hosting company. I am not going to spend countless hours to do that. I would rather pay 20 bucks a year to keep those threads alive to help answer questions builders have. I am no fan of PB and I told them so when they decided to raise the prices. But I believe the pictures here are a greater good. I was just hoping others would feel the same way. Helping my neighbors is more important to me then telling a big company to stick it.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Mon May 28, 2018 10:02 am

Ya nothing is permanent on the web. I was a photobucket user - maybe still am. The little fish are being swallowed up continuously. I went through old bookmarks I had saved from a few years ago and 80% were no longer functional.

Its not just web sites. Product lines are no longer produced. Instead there is a "product run" made by an outsourced company in god knows where. When that product is sold out - its gone and on to the next version. Its a new world. So when I get something I like I quickly buy a lifetime supply only to find out the successor is better!

In general I think its more productive to go with the big name guys/gals who are more likely to swallow up more little guys.
https://makeawebsitehub.com/free-photo-hosting/ There is no shortage of sites who offer the same service. Of course you have to migrate everything again which is a pain.

Happy imaging
=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby shootr » Mon May 28, 2018 7:57 pm

For now I'm having great luck with PostImage.org. You can set what size you want the pictures to display on forums, totally free, no ads, and for about a year now have had no problems.

https://postimages.org/
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:25 pm

The other image hosting sites may be free now, but in time they too will start charging. I don't use it for this site, but rather than keeping the hassle of moving things around I've caved in and am paying Apple $0.99 per month for iCloud for my personal photos.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 pm

I used to have my own website and domain name back when there was such a thing, and I hosted my own images on my own "cloud". Now everyone clicks one button on Facebook and think they have a website. I finally retired the website so my images went with it. I would like to have a server running here at home, I think alot of people could do this if they just took the time to learn how. My satellite internet precludes any type of server activity though. Photobucket has single handedly destroyed so many communities. They always sucked and I always hated going to their site to view someone's photos. Extra clicks everywhere just wasting time. I am in a way glad they did this because maybe now the masses will migrate.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Return to General Discussion