Benroy for my baby

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Benroy for my baby

Postby DWT77 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:36 pm

:thumbsup: :cheerswine: :Flippin Burger: :beautiful:
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:09 am

Glad the maiden voyage was successful.. :thumbsup: :applause:
What is your usual mileage?
It should be a conversation piece, very well built and looks great. (And you built it) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

On the small mirror for the galley. We've bought one of these in the past: Was $25 when we bought it, has been rolled back to $17.84 now.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Living-Cosmo-8-Chrome-Mirror-with-Wall-Mount-5-x-Mag-13544/19243552
And it works great.. mounts with two screws..

Apparently always room for improvement on building one of these. That's why most say "They are never done". :lol:
You are enjoying it, that's the best thing..

Happy camping :vroom: , David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:46 am

Staryder61 wrote:Glad the maiden voyage was successful.. :applause:
What is your usual mileage?
It should be a conversation piece, very well built and looks great. (And you built it)

On the small mirror for the galley. We've bought one of these in the past: Was $25 when we bought it, has been rolled back to $17.84 now.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Living-Cosmo-8-Chrome-Mirror-with-Wall-Mount-5-x-Mag-13544/19243552
And it works great.. mounts with two screws..

Apparently always room for improvement on building one of these. That's why most say "They are never done".
You are enjoying it, that's the best thing..

Happy camping :vroom: , David
Thanks David!
I get about 28 to 30 mpg highway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:50 am

S. Heisley wrote:
clamlamp wrote:Went to get it weighed. Turns out the drop weight is more than expected... 1440 lbs with the fridge but no water. My tow capacity is 2700, should I be concerned? I read that we should not exceed half of the max tow capacity somewhere... Any thoughts?

On the positive side, I took it in the freeway for the first time and there is no swaying.Image

Many states (including California) have a requirement that the trailer weigh no more than 1500 lbs; but, at 1440, you appear to be legal and it's already licensed, good to go. Check your tow vehicle's tow limits in its user manual's tow section (or from a respected, authoritative source on the Internet) and check your tow vehicle's stopping capacity for trailers without brakes, in the brakes section. Those three things should give you a pretty complete answer to your question. Oh, and water weighs around 9 lbs per gallon. Enjoy your camping experiences.
Thank you Sharon!

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am

The minor updates. I raise the Galley Hatch 2 in with blocks of mahogany I had lying around. I bumped my head twice while camping on the Galley Hatch because it was low and I was lazy to fix it because it was working. The second time when I saw stars is when I knew I needed to fix it. I also raised the shelf inside the galley because the items inside were as tall as I thought. It left a gap in the rear fuse box but my speaker fits there fairly well. Also, I added the stabilizers for the front of the trailer and a small mirror I had lying around. Just big enough to put in one contact at a time and to check for spinach in the teeth.

I want to add a roof rack but not sure where to find one or how to make one. Any tips?ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:24 am

Some minor additions, cup holders and a tablet stand.

Took the trailer again on a solo trip back to Jalama Beach for a weekend getaway before work started. Quiet, peaceful, and caught fish. All a man could hope for.

Getting ready for my first family camping trip to San Luis Obispo next week. More updates to follow.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:38 am

Paul, nice additions and looks like a great outing.. you had..
WHAT, you caught fish and had a cheese burger? Say it ain't true... :D ;)
So when you going to bring that camper east to Texas? Or maybe one day we could meet up halfway..
My better half keeps telling me she wants me to see Cali, she's been there, I never have.. so who knows... :roll: :thinking:

Take care, be safe, David
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:42 am

What a sweeeeet rig!

I want to add a roof rack but not sure where to find one or how to make one. Any tips?

You could add a set of Thule's Artificial Rain Gutters to the sides and attache a Thule rack to them.

:thinking:

I've got a set on my truck's shell and they work great.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:29 pm

I just caught up on your build. Great job! :applause: I wish I was as far. A few more set back but still plugging a long.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby clamlamp » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:48 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:I just caught up on your build. Great job! :applause: I wish I was as far. A few more set back but still plugging a long.

Todd
Thank you! Hang in there!

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Went with this roof rack I found on Amazon. It is a gutter mount system but I just bolted it into the sides with 3\8" stainless steel lag bolts. The rack is expandable so it sperates in the middle which isn't the strongest but since I'm close to tow capacity for my Subaru I probably won't be strapping too much heavy items on the roof. Next items I'm thinking to add an awning and a solar shower.

I took a turn around trip to Los Osos California with the family. It was the first trip with them and was great minus the long drive with the baby. It was a beautiful place and I would definitely go back to stay longer. The wife was very happy and said sleeping in the trailer was comfortable and warm. I'm also glad I brought the moving blanket and picnic blanket so my daughter and crawl around.

Meet another teardrop owner there but didn't get a chance to go see his set up because my group went hiking and then I had to cook dinner. If they are reading this, I apologize. I got a lot of compliments at the campground and when we went to Morro rock to have lunch, We got even more compliments and questions from passerbys.

All in all I can't wait for the next trip... Thanks for following.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Beautiful! Love the family pictures! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:54 pm

clamlamp wrote:Went with this roof rack I found on Amazon. It is a gutter mount system but I just bolted it into the sides with 3\8" stainless steel lag bolts. The rack is expandable so it sperates in the middle which isn't the strongest but since I'm close to tow capacity for my Subaru I probably won't be strapping too much heavy items on the roof. Next items I'm thinking to add an awning and a solar shower.

I took a turn around trip to Los Osos California with the family. It was the first trip with them and was great minus the long drive with the baby. It was a beautiful place and I would definitely go back to stay longer. The wife was very happy and said sleeping in the trailer was comfortable and warm. I'm also glad I brought the moving blanket and picnic blanket so my daughter and crawl around.

Meet another teardrop owner there but didn't get a chance to go see his set up because my group went hiking and then I had to cook dinner. If they are reading this, I apologize. I got a lot of compliments at the campground and when we went to Morro rock to have lunch, We got even more compliments and questions from passerbys.

All in all I can't wait for the next trip... Thanks for following.

Paul, you did great.. :thumbsup:
You're out using it with the family and enjoying it. Great looking family.. little one's precious..
Yes, I can imagine people wanting to see it, and the compliments.. that you so deserve.... :applause: :applause:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:55 am

S. Heisley wrote:Beautiful! Love the family pictures! :applause:

+1. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:46 pm

Added a canvas bunk for my daughter. She is getting too big to sleep in the middle and she rolls around as if she was breakdancing or possessed.

The issue I have was that I like have the open space in the cabin to sit and relax if the weather gets bad but was trying to figure out a way to have a folding bunk that can tuck away and still give her enough head room and us enough leg room.

What I came up with is a roll up and removable canvas cot. I used canvas from the big box store and doubled it up to add strength. I then sewed two lines 2 3/4" inches away from the edges to insert the 1" closet rod.

I was worried my sewing wouldn't hold up so I tested it with a brave 85lb student of mine and it held up. That should give me 8-10 years of use.

When installing, I installed the rear supports first then measured the distance at full tension then installed the front supports. This is to help prevent too much sagging if the threads loosen over time.

I was considering using a foam topper and cutting it to size but they are too expensive to be cutting up so I found a folding gym mat at Walmart for $20 that fit perfect on the width but a little long.

Everything cost maybe $40 total and is light weight, removable, and comfortable. ImageImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals