Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pop-up foamie for Cross-Canada trip

Postby Nodrog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 am

delete
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:45 am

OP827 wrote:
dancam wrote:...
OP827 wrote:Dancam, did you manage to make your lifting system work? You could also use a winch, steel cables/ropes and pulleys for 4 point lifting from lower walls. Here is an example: http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/vardo03.html . Good luck with your build and trip! If you are going to be around Saugeen Shores in Ontario, you are welcome to check my build with lifting roof.

We did! Doesnt work perfect but it goes up! I looked at your link and i dont quite understand how it works but i wish i did, that sure would be a lot easier to set up.
Just looked at where Saugeen Shores is and we dont plan to be out that way, if plans change i will let you know though, thanks for that! We are sort of doing thunder bay to guelph to niagra falls and then up to quebec.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I did a very quick sketch to show the idea of cable/rope system to lift the upper part. Lower part serves as supports for lifting pulleys and cables. Cables can be routed as you need to accommodate the design, under floor or inside, just add more pulleys on various turns. Lifting action can be by anything - winch, actuator(electric/air), acme drive screw by hand, drill etc.. Let me know if you have further questions.

Interesting, that would have worked better than what i am doing i bet and probably actually have gotten me enough hight. Oh well, next time :/
Thanks!

Nodrog wrote:Hey Dancam! I see on the blog your wife is doing that you are raising your trailer top, however you are doing it. That's good! And having mostly a lot of fun on the trip despite some pain in the fingers. I told my wife "at least it wasn't one of the kids that got the injury". How's that for sympathy? Hopefully you are already healing, finger tips reconstruct themselves pretty nicely. I know this how?
Good to know you are out there adventuring, got a kick out of the museum pics where your son is driving everything with wheels! Canada is a country full of wonders and scenic beauty, isn't it? Have a good time, be a little careful, ok? Later....Nodrog

Yup! The air cylinders are working. The fingers are still pretty sore, but i think im going to get the stitches out of the one today. That museum sure was a lot of fun! I wish i could have uploaded all the ohotos but there were so many. We are still having a great time, hope to do the next update tonight.

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:55 am

Sorry i havent been keeping up on the updates, here is the first post from our trip with running out of gas, not finding our campsite and hiking through the worlds farthest inland rainforest: http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/06/leaving-and-our-first-2-days.html?m=1
ImageImageImageImage

This is the post nodrog mentioned with the museums. The one was amazing. The place was packed full of trains and lohging equipment and you could climb through almost everything.

http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/06/museums-and-smashed-fingers-day-3-and-4.html?m=1

ImageImageImageImageImage
dancam
500 Club

Postby clamlamp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 am

Beautiful family! Looks like you had an awesome trip!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks for the Pics … !!!  :pictures:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 am

Next blog post is up! http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/06/houston-and-smithers-day-4-9.html?m=1
We spent about 6 days in the Houston/Smithers area where Julie and I grew up and visited people. Getting ready to leave for terrace now.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

dancam
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:59 pm

8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:18 am

deleted
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby ghcoe » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 am

Nodrog wrote:In central Oregon, which is pretty high country, it can freeze any night of the year.

Hey Nodrog, where you located. Bend?
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nodrog » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:37 am

deleted
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Nodrog wrote:Hey Traveler(s)! Enjoying the blog posts very much, your worldwide fans are taking it all in! A chance to see our trailer folk touring Canada, very rare!....don't get too cold, nights can be pretty cool there I am sure.In central Oregon, which is pretty high country, it can freeze any night of the year. So camping at high lakes can be darn cold nights...this is novel when it is hot on the west side. Definitely campfire weather.
Keep up the posts, if you can...we all appreciate your effort! Really an amazing adventure, Have fun!! later...Nodrog
Nodrog wrote:Hey folks- gh, I was trying to say something about camping with cold nights in different areas, I guess. Sounds kind of disjointed now, shouldn't clutter people's nice threads with nonsense late at night, note to self! I am actually from SW of Portland, near McMinnville, but have camped a lot in central Oregon in the past..
Hoping Dancam puts up more posts about their trip, I am finding it verrry interesting, camping all across Canada, wow! later, gators....Nodrog
Comment all you want on my threads :) it was down to +1 (33f) a couple nights, which was very chilly since it was rainy as well and would only get to 12 or 15 (60f) as a high during the day. Then all of a sudden it was +33 (91f) and blazing sun all day and not cooling off at nights. Especially now that were in the yukon at the summer solstice when the sun doesnt go down

dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Next blog post of our trip is finally up. Sorry for the delay. We have been out of cell service for quite a while and had a breakdown with the trailer. http://prinsfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2018/06/smithers-to-prince-rupert-june-14.html?m=1

And this is a video of where i used to live that i missed in the last blog post. https://youtu.be/7tj1dlOWWUs

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dancam
500 Club

Postby Nodrog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:27 am

deleted
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby Nodrog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:29 pm

deleted
Last edited by Nodrog on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby dancam » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Nodrog wrote:Yesss!! More Canada pics, please! I have been looking at a map to get some idea of where you are traveling....you have been through a couple of gigantic national parks, very cool! I am not surprised that you have been without cell service, lots of wild land there...even there around Prince Rupert there is not a lot of development, I think. Beautiful!!
I think you are from near Edmonton- I checked winter temps there compared to Portland, Oregon which we are near- looks like average highs and lows run about 15 degrees cooler in Edmonton than Portland, not too bad, I would say...
Maybe when you get back from the trip you might consider doing some expansion of the blog with moooore pics even? The family continues to be a source of delight, loved the pics of the boys in the wheelchair!! I think you'll have to do this all again when they get older....!
Keep it coming, whenever you can... Have a lot of fun!! Later....Nodrog

Haha, no, not much/any development there. There is nothing to develop! Its all mountains!
With the wheelchair photos you got one blog post ahead! That one wasnt complete, i just added some videos to it and am sharing it now.

dancam
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies