Off-Road Worthy 5x8 Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Off-Road Worthy 5x8 Conversion

Postby jmanscotch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:34 am

Stormcrow wrote:
jmanscotch wrote:I am in need of some ideas from you folks. How should I mount my fenders?

If it was me - I’d either widen or get wider fenders to eliminate the gap between the tire and trailer walls. I would think that stuff would be flinging all up the side of the trailer there. Forgive the quick and crude sketches here, not perfect or to scale but hopefully gets the point across. Pull out the interior plywood and weld in some 1” tubing (in green) between the vertical supports. Drill holes in the lip of the fender and bolt-thru the wall to that tubing. Add some 1” tube triangulated at the bottom and top it off with some more plate (in blue).

Imagefenders 1

Imagefenders 2

Thanks for the work on the sketches sir!

I considered something just like this, but I don't want to have to widen the fenders. I think I'd build my own before hacking these up too much. Maybe that's my problem too, I'm committing to these, since I liked them and bought them, but maybe I just need to move on and build my own.

I do plan on the triangulated sections in blue and I do understand your point about bridging the gap between the fenders and the trailer side, I just don't love the idea of ultra wide fenders (regardless of if they stick out the exact same amount).

The adapters and wheel backspacing I'm running are causing lots of the issues, pushing my wheels out where it'd make the fender width a cosmetic issue for me taste. I figured I might get a new axle down the road and measure to make sure the wheels fit tighter on the trailer....I'll have to mull it over some more and decide what direction fits best.

Appreciate all the ideas, it's definitely given me more to think on, gents.

Jake
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby Ottsville » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:53 am

jmanscotch wrote:
I considered something just like this, but I don't want to have to widen the fenders. I think I'd build my own before hacking these up too much. Maybe that's my problem too, I'm committing to these, since I liked them and bought them, but maybe I just need to move on and build my own.

I do plan on the triangulated sections in blue and I do understand your point about bridging the gap between the fenders and the trailer side, I just don't love the idea of ultra wide fenders (regardless of if they stick out the exact same amount).

The adapters and wheel backspacing I'm running are causing lots of the issues, pushing my wheels out where it'd make the fender width a cosmetic issue for me taste. I figured I might get a new axle down the road and measure to make sure the wheels fit tighter on the trailer....I'll have to mull it over some more and decide what direction fits best.

Appreciate all the ideas, it's definitely given me more to think on, gents.

Jake

I think with the size of gap between the fender and the trailer it's going to end up looking weird. How about shortening the axle? But even with that, your fenders look a little narrow for the width of the tires and stuff will still get kicked up from the edges of the tires...I vote build new fenders.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Florida Native » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 am

If you're down to the back length being the limiting factor, a set of mudflaps would minimize the rocks kicking up.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby jmanscotch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 am

I agree that the gap will look odd, but I *think* I'm ok with that. I'd just buy a new axle before shortening this one. That way I could get the EZ Lube hubs, brakes and a 6 lug bolt pattern to ditch the adapters.

I think for now, I'm going to make these work...maybe not with style, but work. Down the road I'll put more time into the axle/wheel fitment and redo the fender situation then.
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby jmanscotch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:11 am

Florida Native wrote:If you're down to the back length being the limiting factor, a set of mudflaps would minimize the rocks kicking up.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Exactly, I know I don't quite have the width right on them either, but a solid attempt at minimizing the mud/rock slinging is my intent for now.

Thanks everyone.
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:09 pm

jmanscotch, Howdy;

A patch is what you are doing until you do buy the 6 bolt, ez-lube axle
yada, yada yada ... face it. Why do a patch when you can have what you
want and then not have to re do what you used as a patch and return
it back to it's original...? Question, adding up your expenses to "ADAPT" the
axle you have couldn't you have bought the axle you want? Sorry but I felt I
had to ask that question. What you've created is beautiful and shows that you
have a steamer trunk of talent and imagination and can build a solid trailer. I'm
not trying to be a downer nor P in your Wheaties, just trying to look at the
whole project at one time instead of this step then the next one. Sometimes it's
best to look at the end to see which path gets ya there with the fewest toe-stubs.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jmanscotch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 pm

hankaye wrote:jmanscotch, Howdy;

A patch is what you are doing until you do buy the 6 bolt, ez-lube axle
yada, yada yada ... face it. Why do a patch when you can have what you
want and then not have to re do what you used as a patch and return
it back to it's original...? Question, adding up your expenses to "ADAPT" the
axle you have couldn't you have bought the axle you want? Sorry but I felt I
had to ask that question. What you've created is beautiful and shows that you
have a steamer trunk of talent and imagination and can build a solid trailer. I'm
not trying to be a downer nor P in your Wheaties, just trying to look at the
whole project at one time instead of this step then the next one. Sometimes it's
best to look at the end to see which path gets ya there with the fewest toe-stubs.

hank

I hear your point sir. When I shopped the trailers on the lot, I verified that the trailer had both a Dexter axle and it was equipped with the EZ lube hubs. I was thrilled about this as it'd save me from buying a new axle for a brand new trailer. I knew I'd need to adapt the 5 lug to 6...but figured 2/3 was a small victory.

The problem came when we changed our mind on color. We had a silver one picked out, which is the one I inspected. Last minute, we decided to go for the charcoal grey and I didn't think to look at the axles again, I mean why would I? They were the same model trailer, same size, just different colors....obviously that was a poor assumption. We still got the good Dexter axle...but no EZ Lube hubs. I also thought I'd have better luck finding wheels with a better offset and backspacing so the width wouldn't be such an issue. While they exist...their style lacked and so I just went down the proverbial rabbit hole of making this setup work for now. I've done it before, so you think I'd have learned the "buy once, cry once" lesson...but I'm stubborn :R

A big driving factor right now is: a wedding, 1st house purchase and baby making is on it's way. I want to get this usable and enjoy it this summer (which is blowing by). Right now, I'm focusing on getting it finished, shortest route possible without being too stupid about it. Hence my justification for ignoring your wise advice. One of these days I may be wise as well, but not today sir!

Jake
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 pm

I believe the EZ lube axles are drilled to allow grease passage. This may be a stress point and cause a fracture when off-roading. How about keeping the same axle, getting new 6-bolt hubs, and ditching the adapters/spacers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:51 pm

jmanscotch, Howdy;

Jake, my, as you call it, "wisdom", has been extremely slow in arriving, if it has at all.
I recently rolled past the 69 yard stick in life's comedy of errors and have fallen victim
to it's many of it's follies. Yes you do have a full platter, home, starting a family and the
expectation of a new life ... small wonder you've progressed as far and as well as you have.

I'm gonna grab my cane, and with about a half hours head start I'll meet ya on the porch
for a nice cold adult beverage to toast the blooming of the rest of your life.

hank

PS. I'll not be held responsible for answers to questions direct or otherwise and any advise
given they'll only be the prattling of a tired old soul.
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rebar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 pm

I like what your doing there.. Sub'd
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby jmanscotch » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:58 pm

aggie79 wrote:I believe the EZ lube axles are drilled to allow grease passage. This may be a stress point and cause a fracture when off-roading. How about keeping the same axle, getting new 6-bolt hubs, and ditching the adapters/spacers?

Indeed they are drilled. If I planned to take the trailer off some rock ledges or crazier trails like that, it might concern me. Lot of folks say the same thing about the greasable u-joints. I run them on my truck and have tens of thousands of off roading miles on past Jeeps with them and they've never been a problem, so I don't foresee an issue. I really enjoy the ease of maintenance on them over traditional hubs.

I have thought about the hub swap, but by the time I get the new hubs with brakes, I'm only a small amount of money away from a whole new setup with the EZ lube hubs.

hankaye wrote:jmanscotch, Howdy;

Jake, my, as you call it, "wisdom", has been extremely slow in arriving, if it has at all.
I recently rolled past the 69 yard stick in life's comedy of errors and have fallen victim
to it's many of it's follies. Yes you do have a full platter, home, starting a family and the
expectation of a new life ... small wonder you've progressed as far and as well as you have.

I'm gonna grab my cane, and with about a half hours head start I'll meet ya on the porch
for a nice cold adult beverage to toast the blooming of the rest of your life.

hank

PS. I'll not be held responsible for answers to questions direct or otherwise and any advise
given they'll only be the prattling of a tired old soul.

I'll grab the scotch and meet you there, sir! :thumbsup:
Last edited by jmanscotch on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby jmanscotch » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:01 pm

My 8.5'x8.5' ARB awning came in and I went straight into mounting it.

I used their Heavy Duty mounts to mount it to my roof rack. I simply mounted it using the existing bolts that mount the cross bars to the racks feet.

Came out real nice. Pretty close and tight to the trailer, well close enough. Very impressed with the quality of the awning. The cover is great, the zippers slide easy and all other materials look like they'll take some good use.

I went ahead and tested how tough it was to deploy. While I can see it being a much less cumbersome with two people, I was still able to do it the first time in under 5 minutes, not bad at all.

It folds back up nice, secures well and is a breeze to fit back into the storage bag.

Jake
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 pm

jmanscotch, Howdy;

" I'll grab the scotch and meet you there, sir! :thumbsup: "

I was thinkin' cold fizzy ... like barley pops but a good single malt whisky,
neat, will do nicely too.

For that zipper ya might look into some silicone spray lube, we used to use it
for wet suit and other outdoor usage zippers in the Navy. A wee bit goes a long
way.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:00 am

:applause: Nice awning!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 am

Love our work and conversion! That awning looks fantastic!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions