3 Way Fridge In A Toy Hauler Info Needed

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

3 Way Fridge In A Toy Hauler Info Needed

Postby Badride » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Looking for info on installation of a 3 way fridge in my hauler, is is wired for 50 amp with lights and a 15,500 AC unit. I’ve done some searching but haven’t come across any threads showing a step by step and also looking for recommendations on a quality but cost effective fridge. Thanks for any info provided.
Badride
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 3 Way Fridge In A Toy Hauler Info Needed

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Maybe I don't understand the question? A three-way fridge needs a 120 VAC circuit, a 12 VAC circuit and a propane line. Just look at each one of those as separate items and it may seem to be more simple. If you are using a power center like a PD4045 the AC and DC circuits are there. Propane to a fridge can be 3/8 copper tubing to the regulator.

Plus a rear access hatch and air venting for inlet air and exhaust.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:25 pm

12V compressor fridge is **much** more efficient.

Unless you really want the propane option, carry that much for long stays off grid.

Solar pays for itself pretty quickly compared to buying fuel, especially when you have to head back into town for just that reason
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 am

And don’t forget the Fire Extinguishing system to go with the 3 way … :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dano-Mich » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:53 am

I just finished installing an old Dometic 3-way fridge in my cargo trailer, what information are you looking for? I went with a used unit - picked up a couple for $125 each. Larger units are much more expensive, mine just has a small freezer compartment inside, not separate.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Badride » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:29 pm

Dano-Mich wrote:I just finished installing an old Dometic 3-way fridge in my cargo trailer, what information are you looking for? I went with a used unit - picked up a couple for $125 each. Larger units are much more expensive, mine just has a small freezer compartment inside, not separate.

Was looking for info from start to finish on the whole process to see if it was something I wanted to do and what costs would be on all the additional stuff after purchasing a fridge.
Badride
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dano-Mich » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Installation is a pain because you have to follow their clearances and exhaust diagrams closely. Not as simple as throwing a 12v cooler in a corner. But I've used 3-way fridges in the past and like having it just run 24/7 on propane and not worry about my battery. As long as you can run 12v wire and put in an outlet for the AC plug those two are fairly simple. Running propane is a little more work. I'm fabricating a soft copper line to make the connection to the fridge and have to run it through a wall. Takes a little more planning and requires some tools to flare the copper and bend the copper. Just check for leaks (and not with a torch).
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:06 am

Make sure you have good venting at the back of the fridge. I put one into my vintage trailer but it had an vented access door in that space. We also added insulation under the counter above the fridge. It does generate a good bit of heat. A small fan to push hot air out of the space might be a good suggestion, one or two computer fans might do the job.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Nodrog » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi- Thoughts on propane fridges- If you look for manual online you probably can find installation specs...discussions I have read say that running on propane is very common while traveling, but read up on it. I have calculated that our small dometic will run for days and days on a gallon of propane, maybe 10 days if I remember correctly? Also, leveling is important while parked- fridge might really experience failure, maybe even explode, it seems, if run out of level for more than maybe 1/2 hour while parked, according to what I have read. While traveling, the up and down and sloshing serves to keep fridge functioning ok. Running on propane while parked? Level or turn it off, I guess.
Also, a note, I ran our little dometic for a year or two as a spare fridge in the house on ac, it did fine with no enclosure. So, I think they run fine as long as the back has plenty of circulation, more ventilation is probably better.
Sounds like dc operation may drain a battery pretty fast, and the 12v option is maybe not enough juice to provide really good cooling, I think by design that is set up as a "maintaining cool" mode...
Of course, if you will use hookups , ac will power it fine, people sometimes do not run the fridge at all while traveling, just precool and turn on with ac power when parked.....good luck- Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion