decals/stickers personalizing TD or TTT: opinions?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

decals/stickers personalizing TD or TTT: opinions?

Postby working on it » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm

• From the very start of my trailer build, I sought to make it unique, yet very functional. After my wife said she wasn't going to use it (a "coffin", she said), I made more customizations, and started adding my quirky sense of humor onto it. First came the professionally engraved, fake "manufacturers data plates" , then several tin signs (I always liked them, but had no proper medium to display any), and now I'm following up that with more "quirky" stickers that may give the viewer a small smile. Some people like plain vanilla (ice cream or look-alike trailers), some like small, tasteful adornments that set their trailer apart from others, but I just like hints of my brand of humor, defining my trailer's origin, and traces of my past/present interests.
  • From an earlier thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70367:
    working on it wrote:
    Sparksalot wrote:Love the stickers on your lockbox. :thumbsup:
    • Thanks. I like quirky metal signs, decals, and stickers that personalize my trailer. I had an old S-10 pickup, with a Delta in-bed toolbox, that I had all sorts of decals on, then I just followed that up with rear window stickers/decals on my bigger trucks (from racing organizations, online forums, my racing team's decal, US flag, manufacturer's decals, etc,), then on my trailer. I try not to put decorations on that might be offensive to others (political stickers, et al,...I once did, and got my rear window smashed in '72). Just quirky, personal stuff. I've even had some made up by signage companies.
    • signage collage.jpg
      signage collage.jpg (213.64 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
  • As stated in my collage above, I have more stickers in reserve, that I made myself using MS Paint, images off the web, and "PPD LTR 8.5x11" Inkjet Creative Vinyl Stickers Matt", from Amazon. I had just received one sticker I had gotten made by an Amazon vendor (for $13), that I haven't applied yet, and wondered if I could make my own, as a comparison test for the adhesive's durability, and the ink's UV resistance. I found a sticker-print paper, and followed their instructions, and using my wife's HP inkjet printer, I made one that compares favorably with the professional version. I'll apply the pro-made sticker without any more stick-um, but with the home-made sticker, I'm thinking about using either clear Gorilla Tape over it, or a thin film of PL Adhesive under it. I did coat all my home-made sticker(s)--- yes, I have made several different ones---with clear, non-yellowing spray paint, so they should be as water resistant as if tape-covered.
  • Here's a photo with the proposed new stickers super-imposed in place, since I've been uninterested in going into my baking-hot metal garage this week. See if you can spot the ones I made at home...the pro-made sticker isn't among them. Maybe later....
  • sticker placement 2a.jpg
    sticker placement 2a.jpg (275.92 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: decals/stickers personalizing TD or TTT: opinions?

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:21 pm

I found this one hiding in my office recently. Now it's tucked into my galley.

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Sparksalot wrote:I found this one hiding in my office recently. Now it's tucked into my galley.

• I've used many of those tags, when I was working on machines...lock out/tag outs, too. Your tag as shown only helps if the would-be operator can read it, understand that that means "everybody", and gives a darn in the first place. I've seen those tags ignored, even by the safety director of our plant, years ago. Locks work better, if only to keep the violator from having instant, impulsive access.
  • I like all industrial signs, or variations thereof, like my sign, custom-made by Seton, who made signage for my job and for me as well.
  • not understood very often by John Q. Public.JPG
    not understood very often by John Q. Public.JPG (71.6 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
    not everyone knows what an Interocitor is, nor the movie it references (a personal favorite, "This Island Earth" ,1955 Sci Fi)
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:04 pm

You might consider the signage for the Turbo Encanulator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o

And the Version 2 Turbo Encabulator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjcJp_Nwvk

=Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Oooooooo, the pan=electric fan!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Peruvian Academy of Scatological Sciences. :lol:

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:55 am

You might check with a place that does vehicle wraps as well, they can do anything you want. My buddy built a teardrop, then a cargo trailer & now has an airplane he uses for camping. This is what they did for him for window coverings & a "few" extra things, just for fun. Keith Reever is an interesting guy. Can't wait until he decides to build something else...

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:54 am

noseoil wrote:You might check with a place that does vehicle wraps as well, they can do anything you want....
  • Yeah, vehicle wraps are great, but more expensive than my little stickers cost me. And, part of the fun is coming up with something, running with it awhile, then maybe replacing it with another, as my mood /interest/whimsy changes...at a lower cost than if I had to pay big bucks for a wrap (or custom decals). Over the years, prices for custom decal/sticker work has come down, and is now done everywhere, not only by sign shops that specialized for business-related signage, back in the 50's and 60's, in my recollection. There were no computer graphics back then, and specialty skills, equipment, and materials were were used, not available to the average consumer. Later on, it became easier to get them, and I saw more decals and stickers decorating the back windows of cars & trucks (military branches, colleges, & some high schools, being the most commonly seen). And, since I was into the car scene from an early age, there were manufacturer's decals you'd get when getting car parts and supplies (my first was an "STP" sticker, back in '65, which came in the oil additive box).
  • Though I drag-raced back in the late '60's, and didn't resume until the late '90's, I only raced for trophies, not cash rewards (no lucrative street-racing either), so unlike others that stickered up their cars to get money from sponsoring brand names, organizations, or businesses, my car only had a few identifying some brands I favored & had installed, my racing team, engine-builder, some racing affiliation stuff, and my personal banners and achievements of note, besides my racing class ID's. None on the body, but I placed all on the rear quarter glass and back window, mostly put there after I retired the car ('66 Chevelle) from occasional street driving (full slicks, full spool & 4.88, and 5-gallon fuel tank -using VP c-16 fuel, or my engine builder's special mix using AV-gas/Marvel Mystery Oil, for my 14.5:1 compression ratio'd engine). I sorta missed the decals, and though my tow vehicle has a few left on it from those days, I yearned to emulate the look, in a different form. So, the cheap/free decal/sticker is my preferred decoration (though I did have to spend probably $200 for the fake data plates, custom pro signage, and tin signs), but a total wrap job might be nice to get to change a plain vanilla cargo conversion into a unique statement (I raced guys who had wraps, or paint jobs, costing many thousands of $$$$; I still out-raced many, hahaha).
  • And Cosmo, I've known of the Turboencabulator for many years, even prior to the videos. In '72, while at GM tech training school, I slipped a reference to it into a transmission discussion with the trainer, who was baffled by the terms, and told me to read the material again, because he thought I had not correctly named some parts. I was even more of a smart-ass then, than now, and read a lot of technical stuff, which when mixed in with my Sci-Fi addiction-sourced vocabulary, I had a lot of device nomenclature stored in my head (most of which I have now forgotten), and techno-babble was right up my alley. I guess that Turboencabulator video dialog is much the way it must sound to my wife, when I'm "mansplaining" any repairs or functionality where cars are concerned. I love it, she hates it, as cars are my "thing" and she is 100% mechanically-disinclined.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Unique graphics make it easier to identify should it be stolen.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:03 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Unique graphics make it easier to identify should it be stolen.
  • Identifying clues (decals, signage, unique touches) probably won't be a problem for most home-built trailers, if stolen, but it's a good idea to use them on factory-made trailers, or those built to a common plan shared with others. Even if one follows a well-established plan/guide for building a TD orTTT, like Steve Fredrick's Teardrop Shop Manual, to the letter, there is bound to be at least one point of deviance from the plan, as each person following that (or similar) plan will certainly make, due to differing material sourcing, tools used in construction, and workmanship level variances.
  • My TTT, which I built intentionally different in so many ways from the norm, needs no further identifying marks at all, but I just like to add them. From its' one of a kind frame, A/C ducting system, exterior vents, and internal generator, to the sliding tonguebox, overhead "trapeze" bar (with gate handles & hangman's noose), and pipe-clamp stabilizers on the rear, there are no other trailers anywhere like it, so it's pretty much instantly identifiable at 1000 yards. But, I do like decals and stickers on it, anyway!
  • My trailer is probably unlikely to be stolen, anyhow. It sits locked behind a steel garage door (with hidden security bar), guarded full-time by myself (I'm retired, and usually in my office/dayroom with my dogs, with my window overlooking the garage), and when I am at camp, I seldom leave the campground; I haven't even un-hooked my tow vehicle from it for the last 5 outings (it's a real bear to unhook...the spring-bar on the weight-distribution hitch is under a tremendous pre-load, requiring use of two jacks to hookup, and one to release it), and a thief would have to steal my truck, as well. Besides, my TTT is so uniquely "ugly" in its' looks, only its' mother could love it!
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion