FoamStream , the restoration … a lesson learned .

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream , the restoration … a lesson learned .

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:05 pm

GPW wrote:Got my floorboards all matched up and marked … Waiting for dry weather …
Is there such a thing in southern Louisiana?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Apparently not right now Steve… :rainy: Thinking I’m going have to build when the sun is out , and cover it with a tarp when it’s not … I calculated I could bring the whole trailer in the Studio door , But I’d have to move the cabin a few feet forward ( 6 feet) to clear the way ( and move a lot of “stuff “ to the other end of the building … The tarp sounds easier … and what we have to do is measure each board , mark where it’s going to go , cut it paint it and then screw each one to the crossmembers ( which are still in Good shape = PT ) all can be tarp covered without fear , and the sooner we get this done , the sooner we can stick the cabin back on …

I’ve been hunting around for old school Linoleum sheet flooring , and so far , every time I think we’re getting somewhere it turns out to be Vinyl … :o You guys have any ideas ??? … Being the PT wood floor is primed and painted , I don’t think it’d be a big deal, but I dunno …??? Maybe I could just get a big throw rug ? But i’d feel a lot better with a sheet of “something" between PT wood and feet …
I wonder if I could use that rubber roofing as a floor ? .. we know it doesn’t work well on RV’s , not on the roof anyway …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 pm

How about using painted canvas for the floor? I have seen where they make area rugs from painted canvas. https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-diy-rug
A man with your talent could probably knock it out of the park in no time
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Get an area rug someone is getting rid of. Then you can pull it out and slap it around when the stress is high from the worship of the queen it's hump day btw enjoy it Glenn.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 am

Goos' … That’s a pretty good idea eh !!! … Years ago we got a hold of a couple salvage rolls of Floor cloth … canvas made for that … Being poor then , we painted pictures on them and sold them as Art. Hmmm ??? I see where I can buy Heavy 24oz. canvas from Big Duck … don’t need much . 4 yards ? … Probably cheaper than “Vinyloeum” ? :R

Ps. and while at the Home Depot we saw many cans of “oops” paint set aside … but we didn’t inquire as to price ...

Thanks Steve , enjoying it , just trying to figure a way to work around and avoid the rain … Nothing unusual for this time of year … I think it rained all last summer here (and waaaaay too much in Texas) … having to do most of this work outside , makes it a bit more of a challenge . Sure would be nice to have a Barn … :thinking: One day maybe … ?

And speaking of painting on canvas , here’s our latest … I call it “ Greater Expectations” … :lol: I need to paint some trailers like that ...
Attachments
pieinthesky copy.jpg
pieinthesky copy.jpg (89.2 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:32 am

Pie in the sky!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:33 pm

And it’s a Big Piece too … :D

KC , I sell some Pie and I can build my New Trailer … :D 8) ... ;)
Attachments
Pie.jpg
Pie.jpg (107.71 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 am

Well then , tired of fighting the rain , we got the trailer pulled inside the Studio , and can now work on it without fear of constant rain … and in the Air Conditioning ... 8) Yesterday’s 100 F heat index was no Fun ... :sweaty:
Pics when it gets light …
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:16 am

It’s a tight fit but workable … :thumbsup: …. and it’s Dry !!!
Attachments
trailerwork.jpg
trailerwork.jpg (111.39 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 am

Now then , trying to make things easy on myself , I was contemplating the front floor section , basically a half circle with ~ a 40” radius … Using boards would require some layering of wood and fancy woodwork to get everything exact ... :o So I had the thought of getting another sheet of OSB and cutting that out for the front floor , fitting exactly as it did last time , BUT … This time well treated with "the Mix” ( an Important step we skipped last time , and with predictable results) , and now having benefit of a proper drip edge , and Ant deterrents … It would make things very simple at this point. :thinking: Time is running out , gotta’ get this done … :frightened:

Any thoughts, opinions ??
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:22 am

Any thoughts, opinions ?

OSB? :frightened: I don't think you're listening to your camper. :thinking:

Use plywood such as ACX, underlayment plywood, Advantec or Baltic birch. You'll still want to seal it but If water manages to get in it, none of those products will delaminate. Underlayment will be stamped, "for moist conditions." You can throw scraps of any of those in a bucket for a week, dry it out and it's fine.

They make some really nice 1/4" underlayment ply. I think all underlayment is solid core. Advantec is heavy and thick and looks kinda like OSB but it's guaranteed no-swell for 300 days outside.

Here's a great video that Andrew Herrick put together on plywood types for use in campers. He lives in southern Utah, not quite the climate of Louisiana but his samples would have seen several good rains.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm

For linoleum try Marmoleum by Forbo. Available in sheet form and tiles. Kind of pricy, though. As I recall Doug Hodder used in one or more of his builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:05 am

Tony , Thanks !!! Interesting video … we’ll have to see what the budget allows …
I think the real problem is that with my bad design , the underside got wet almost Every day , and just stayed wet so might have been a challenge for most any product … The new drip edge setup should eliminate all that .
Note: we have an incredible amount of morning dew with our excessive Humidity , it just pours down the sides of anything … I was talking with my next door neighbor that has many big Pella windows in his great room , and they’ve already been replaced once by Pella , and are rotted on the bottom again , all from the condensation alone … Pella refuses to fix it again , although they installed it and guaranteed it … :o

And speaking of budget … Marmoleum , looks real Nice but’s just waaaay too expensive for this trailer … Almost $500.00 to do my floor ( not counting sales tax ) … :o Naaa!!!! Have to pass on that … This has always been a “budget" trailer , gotta’ stay that way … That and we’re already saving up for the NEW trailer build … So I think we‘re going to use Greygoos’s idea and put a painted floor cloth down , then a cheap rug … Cheapoleum … hahaha

I did get my new front floor Rib set from NOGC yesterday , CNC cut from new plywood . some of his stuff , so it should be good … ( no charge ) We will give it several coats of the Mix , then primer ( gripper), then EXT Latex paint …

And so naturally we got the trailer inside and it hasn’t rained since … :duh:
Attachments
DSCN1246.jpg
DSCN1246.jpg (193.46 KiB) Viewed 981 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 am

GPW,

I'm with Tony on using plywood instead of OSB. Many OSB manufacturers use wax to help distribute the resin powder that bonds the wood chips. I think the wax and resin could impede "The Mix".

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks Tom …. I’ll have to consider that .

But on the other hand , a trip to the lumberyard or HD and back is going to cost me at least 50 bucks …. whereas I already have the sheet of OSB waiting … Remember , old retired guy on a budget .. “ it is what it is ! “ Image

Got half the floor screwed and glued down … Sweaty job , but it’s out of the sun , and the RAIN … and it’s looking and feeling good … It’s going to be a good floor . ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies