FoamStream , the restoration … a lesson learned .

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream , the restoration … a lesson learned .

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 am

Here’s what we have now … rib loosely fitted to show the overall nose length + 3.5” … The floor will be 3.5” Bigger than the rib … all around … 
Now starting on the other half … Imeasured 79” from outer floor board top outer floor board , so we’re starting with the ends and working towards the middle where we’ll have to rip a custom fit to finish … that way we always end up with the correct width …
Attachments
DSCN1251.jpg
DSCN1251.jpg (227.83 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:02 am

We have a new floor :P :dancing
Attachments
DSCN1253.jpg
DSCN1253.jpg (163.85 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:12 pm

And I already know what some of you are going to say , but I cut out the OSB nose floor and test fitted it and the new rib to the trailer … It’s what I had !!! … Now we’re going to take the nose floor and rib , and soak them with as much of the mix as I possibly can apply , the extremely warm weather will allow it to dry more quickly , and I can apply it till it all turns to plastic … After that it gets a coat of primer (Gripper ) and a couple coats of exterior Acrylic Latex paint … Again , with the simple addition of the drip edge , I doubt water will ever come near the OSB . ( and this time it’ll be treated too )
Really coming along now !!! :phew:

Remember , this trailer has to last till I get the next one built … and I’ve been saving … ;) We’ll start that in the Fall when the weather is more agreeable … and the new one will be smaller than this Blimp , and be built in the Studio ... 8)
Attachments
DSCN1255.jpg
DSCN1255.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:50 pm

Looks nice! Well done.

BTW, I understand the budget thing. Not yet retired. I’m hoping to someday which is the reason for the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:17 am

Thanks Tom …. I may be retired , but I’m still working to be able to afford it !!! :lol:

I made up ~ 3 quarts of the mix with what I had …. painted it liberally on the OSB and plywood rib … Both soaked it up like a sponge … Got two coats on , so we'll have to make up another batch ( back to the store ) … From experience , the more coats we put on, the less Mix we’ll be using as all the pores fill up … I’ll know we‘ve done enough when it starts to shine .

So we have to go back to the Big Store (again) for more screws , mineral spirits , and Polyurethane … One trip ( no matter how long the list ) never seems enough eh … :o

Glad all this is going on indoors …. heat index yesterday was 106F Too HOT for trailer work outside … I had the AC on till I started applying the Mix , then turned the exhaust fans on. Still smells a bit in here …

One little thing , we only used one tube( cartridge ) of polyurethane sealant, MasterSeal NP1 to do all those floor boards … on each board we put a perimeter circle with a wiggly stripe down the center (~ 1/8” bead ) .
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:45 am

Hi Guys ,The parts are dry with two coats , did the water drop test (passed) , so just to make sure we’re making another batch of the mix as soon as we get to the store . Couple more coats can’t hurt eh ?
You can tell the floor is close to being done , because in the Studio , anything flat that sits around long enough starts to get stuff put on it … :lol: :R
Attachments
DSCN1258.jpg
DSCN1258.jpg (252.95 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby me&z » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:09 pm

because ... anything flat that sits around long enough starts to get stuff put on it …

Fixed that for ya. ;)
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 am

We got all our supplies yesterday , ready to finish this floor so we can install the cabin back on …
On the list today is mounting the final 2X4 crossbrace for the nose floor , putting a couple more coats of the Mix on the OSB … outside this time , because it’s a little smelly and the Heat will dry it more quickly … We’re happy with the OSB waterproofing results , should have done that last time and eliminated all this extra work /expense . :oops: Lesson learned !!!

Ps. With repeated mention and glowing predictions , the wife is warming to the idea of a “new” trailer… 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:35 pm

After a late start today we got two more coats of the Mix on the floor and rib, sun baked , and the cross brace cut , shaped and mounted for the front floor … Here’s the test fit …
Attachments
DSCN1259.jpg
DSCN1259.jpg (233.77 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
DSCN1261.jpg
DSCN1261.jpg (189.54 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Looking good Glen!!!

MIke...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks Mike …. guess this is turning into a Foamie DIY Repair thread … :o I’ve been telling everybody how easy they are to repair , now I’m forced to Prove it !!! :lol:

At the end of the day I have the floor trimmed , the drip edge beading installed ( SS staples ) and Grippered down well …

Hot , tired , I need a shower , and perhaps a Cold one … :beer:
Attachments
DSCN1263.jpg
DSCN1263.jpg (130.05 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Floor pretty much done , almost time to roll it out and attach the cabin back on … :D
Attachments
DSCN1266.jpg
DSCN1266.jpg (196.27 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:18 am

I’d like to report being finished and campable , but the Rainy weather has pretty much shut down the whole thing for now … :rainy:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:16 am

I’d like to report being finished and campable...

Have you got a trip planned for when the sun shines? :D

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:13 pm

Tony , as they say , it depends on the weather … Since this is an EVAC trailer it’s not really for leisure camping , more just survival of two old people … the dog’s out of the picture now , so it's just us … and the wife’s shoes ...;) It’s supposed to be a Milder Hurricane season this year ( fingers crossed ) … so we may tow it up to Mississippi and visit a friend and give an Art workshop… So not really , but Maybe … ??? :thinking: Just depends on how our Luck goes … Only takes one bad storm to mess up everything and force us to leave … EVAC for us is usually 3 or 4 days , but Katrina kept us away for 5 weeks … That’s when a Camper is really HANDY !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies