Anyone skip the electrical systems entirely?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Anyone skip the electrical systems entirely?

Postby rowerwet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:51 am

I built my big foamie for camping at state parks with no connections.
The only lights are for towing.
We have battery powered fans, and a couple jump start packs from Harbor freight for charging the phones overnight.
The start packs have built in lights in case we need them.
We each have swiveling tap lights, powered by batteries, mounted on the ceiling over each door.

Around the camp we use headlamps, and have a propane lantern for cooking and eating lighting.

This year we will be at a campground with power, I'll put a hole for the cord through the floor, and have a power strip
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:59 am

Bob Henry's comment on the 02 Fans is right on target. We have two of them, 10" (I think). They are 12v fans, but have a 120v adapter plus they run on D cell batteries. We wired ours direct to the 12v circuit and this gives us the ability to put them in or over any of the wiley windows. They work great. We also have some 140mm computer fans (12v) those are also amazing. 2 put air into the cabin, 2 remove it. All fans are independent controlled.

With the O2 fans, you can just use the batteries, HOWEVER if you ran a simple circuit, using extension cords and tied into a small motorcycle type battery, you have a bunch of power, cheap and light. D cell batteries get expensive.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby randb » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Regarding the fan issue one word "Ryobi". I use the one+ fan with the 5ah battery. I'll get 2 nights on low speed, which is ample in the small space. One night on high. I live in Queensland Australia. I rate it as one of my best bits if camping kit. You can run it off mains power too.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
randb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Billinthedesert » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Great stuff, friends.
Rand, that Ryobi looks killer.
Dave, yes, D cells to run up a bar tab, don't they?
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Postby friz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:17 am

I always camp off grid. The only must have item for me is a roof fan so I have a 12v battery to power that. With 12v available, it is pretty easy to install 12v outlets, USB chargers and led lights. I have 50w of solar stowed in the tongue box to charge up when needed. I have camped up to 5 nights in a row and returned home with an almost full battery everytime. A very minimal system but perfect for me.Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets