Mattress

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mattress

Postby Carl01234 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:21 am

Time to find a mattress for the Benroy. On our weekender we had 4" of foam and 4" of memory foam. It was very comfortable. I have found on Amazon that there is not much price difference in 8-12 memory foam mattress's. What is everyone using? Any particular brands?
2nd Build 5x10 Benroy Complete! viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70427
Carl01234
Teardrop Master

Re: Mattress

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:09 am

Good timing, we are getting ready to buy a mattress soon too. I was planning on memory foam but have read they can be hard when cold and takes a long time to warm up with body heat. We have room for a 8” thick full XL mattress.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:40 am

We've bought our mattresses online from the Foam Factory. Five inches of foam and two inches of MF. The MF is stiff when it's cold but we preheat with a 12V electric blanket for a half hour on those nights. If I was planning on camping in November here in the Rockies, I'd forgo the MF, but it's doable down into the 30ºs.

A queen sized mattress fits in our 58.75" interior just fine. They'll do a custom size, but it's quite a bit more expensive.

I built our five-wide in 2013 and the initial trip was to Zion. When we were almost home my better-half says, "It's not that big of a deal coming home anymore." I'm thinking something is wrong. We'd had a great trip so I ask her, "what are you talking about?" And she replies, "the mattress in the teardrop is as good as our bed."

I think it should be a felony to build a teardrop and cut corners on the mattress. :frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Does anyone put a mattress/bed frame under the mattress eg Ikea Lonset https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30278713/?
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby bmr528 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Seems like a inflatable mattress would be just the ticket for a TD, But I don't many people saying they use one..

That will probably be what I use if/when I build mine.

djl
bmr528
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:45 pm

I have used foam mattresses in the past. This latest trailer I had a custom mattress shop ( most large cities have one) like Verlo or Mattress Factory, make me one. The now have small inter spring coils that can be arranged in any size needed, Then covered with foam. Much more comfortable. My other, all foam mattresses , were comfortable but by morning I found I had sunk into a hole. The coils eliminate that.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ferbal » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:58 pm

I use a Queen size air mattress. It’s one of those double high fancy ones with a built in air pump. It’s awesome and I can deflate it and get a whole lot of space back. Super comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:46 pm

We have a Foam factory 5" Queen firm. no need for more height of springs.
https://www.thefoamfactory.com/
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:10 pm

I like my bed to be just like home and used an inner spring mattress in my teardrop and all my tiny trailers. You just have to fold it like a taco to get it in and it springs back into place once inside. That's just me.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby working on it » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:38 am

• I used a firm foam 4" mattress from Ikea, at first; it was comfortable for me, but when I thought I might entice my wife to use the trailer, or camp with me, I added a second Ikea mattress on top. But, whether I was using one or two mattresses, removing them, or just changing the bed linen, was a great hassle. It just got worse as I experimented with waterproof covers, a ventilated platform (1.5" off the floor), and trying to create an inclined angle (to combat acid reflux -not a problem, anymore!). Finally, after battling mattresses, plastic mattress covers, bed linen, and comforters, I scrapped them all (using them elsewhere), and came up with a simpler plan.
  • My TTT is utilitarian, functional not fancy, so I started using a 1/4-fold waterproof-material-covered mattress, and sleeping bags (one for cold weather, the other for warm), while only retaining the ventilated platform from the earlier configuration. Neater, simpler, more inline with the rugged theme of the semi-offroad squareback trailer, I think. I believe in camping, not glamping (ultimately, the trailer is mine alone, after the wife refused to use it, though built for her), and it suits my utilitarian preferences
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby coyote » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:34 am

We went to a local upholstery supply, got 6 inch foam for both tear and Scotty. Tear's , 4 yrs old, is getting worn, ready to replace. Both are 4 ft wide, so 2, 2 foot strips. Very happy. Not too pricey. Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:12 am

My experience with air mattresses is like a bad dream that you wake up to and realize it wasn't a dream.

:shock: :x :?

For a decade I fought (wild) fires in Alaska. They'd issue us low-bid air mattresses to sleep on. They were cold and as the temperature dropped, they got soft. And then they leaked. Every rookie tried them once. We found sleeping on the natural sphagnum moss of the taiga was a much better system. Warm and soft and without the leak.

I hope the new air mattresses are warmer and not affected by cold like the low-bid government models were! Me? I'll stick to my foam.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 pm

If I could get a Sleep Number bed in a Full XL that is what I would be putting in our tear. But they don't make that size.

I might look into 6" foam with a 2" memory topper. That way I can get firm foam on my side and soft on the wife's side.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Kevchriss » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Check out foamfactory.com. I've bought 4 mattresses from them. I even replaced my sleep number mattress with theirs.
Kevchriss
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:17 am

We use a foam factory full size in our tear. It's the 5" firm type & have a 3" MF topper from costco. Yes, it costs a bit more doing it this way, but we sleep as well as we do at home & have had "0" problems with this type of "sleep system" (read mattress) & always wake up refreshed from a night of sleep. The older I get, the better I want to sleep.

As Tony said, cutting corners on a mattress isn't worth it & should be illegal in a teardrop!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion