Facebook kills the forum........

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Facebook kills the forum........

Postby Ottsville » Thu May 31, 2018 11:36 am

greygoos wrote:It is sad to hear all the complaints. This is a free Forum and just like watching TV or listening to the radio you can change the channel. Mike has put in lots of time and effort to get this up and running and keep it going. Lets try and find a solution instead of trashing this board. If you click on my name you can see my email address. I set up a separate email account for this forum when PM was disabled. If you need to contact someone post your email in your comments.

I didn't take anything that anyone said above as "trashing" this board. There's definitely some areas that could be improved - some on the member's side (welcoming new members, etc) and some on the board side(software, pm's, photos). I haven't heard anybody trash Mike either. Frankly this conversation appears to be very civil so far.

As someone who has moderated a group with over 7k members, I understand how much work can go into it. Kudos to Mike!
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Thu May 31, 2018 12:48 pm

This is more a Family Friendly group … Good People .. but don’t expect much right now , everybody 's out Camping … ;) Tis the season !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:45 pm

I hope my post didn't come off like I was ripping on the forum or Mike. I was pointing out things that as a new guy here I though was a problem that might be running people off to Facebook or other forums.

There is so much information here but you have to work hard to get it. I would love to learn more about foamies but I don't have the time to go through the mega foamy threads that so many are bloated with chit-chat. But that's on me for not wanting to take the time. But a basic how to foamy thread from start to finish would be huge here.

I think a lot of us are making suggestion to make this place better. I't one of two forums I check almost daily now. All the others are just about making money now it seems.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:56 am

" I would love to learn more about foamies but I don't have the time to go through the mega foamy threads that so many are bloated with chit-chat.”

Well, that’s How it all happened …. a voyage of Discovery ... a little at a time over many years … By Normal people , not professional writers ( unpaid volunteers ) … And it’s really no more "chit chat" than any of the other trailer methods … If you don’t have time to learn about it , maybe it’s just not for you … :thinking:

Besides there’s really nothing on Facebook that covers DIY camper trailer construction and design … Nothing like this site …

However , you can always ask specific questions , and you’ll always get Lots of friendly Help …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kramergwt » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Probably because this format , Tapatalk, is so incredibly awkward. Has nothing to do with the people. While I don’t really care for Facebook, at least you can share a decent picture. This app is horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kramergwt » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:07 pm

Dale M. wrote:Facebook is for the people who don't know anything or want to learn, they are there for the social aspect of wanting to have 10,000 friends they will never meet face to face or have any sort of relationship ... Yes don't even try to friend me on facebook becasue I don't respond, not because I don't like you but because it think the concept is a joke... Yeah I am on facebook for a couple of subjects, but that is because I can't find a decent forum for those subjects... Usually its because some of the forums are run by people on a power trip or need to control every aspect of forum so its not a pleasure for people to go there...

Generally there is a core group on a traditional forum that keeps it alive, and then there is the transient faction that is always in flux... In one facebook group there is a very small core group actually in process of developing a traditional forum becasue of the stupidity of facebook and the people it attracts and how the options and features people don't want or like are forced onto us by facebook...

Dale
. Sorry man, you’re wrong to think that this group is somehow superior to all others because you like an old awkward app. Nobody out there is looking for 10000 friends. Please get over yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby friz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:37 pm

This forum is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in building a camper. Just not that many folks interested in building anything these days. Even though I did not follow the traditional path, the information I gathered here was a huge help.

BTW, I lurked here for years before my first post. Just because few are posting doesn't mean that people aren't looking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:45 am

I never used Taptalk, I tried it once... what a pain. This forum is http://www.tnttt.com/ not Taptalk so I would not attach the two together, that is something you do on your own.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby friz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:44 am

I agree, tapatalk is not for everybody. Personally, I think it does a good job of compressing the forum into a format that works on a standard mobile device. I do a lot of posting from my bathtub. Not a computer friendly environment. That said, you miss quite a bit using tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby working on it » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:38 am

friz wrote:I agree, tapatalk is not for everybody. Personally, I think it does a good job of compressing the forum into a format that works on a standard mobile device. I do a lot of posting from my bathtub. Not a computer friendly environment. That said, you miss quite a bit using tapatalk.
2bits wrote:I never used Taptalk, I tried it once... what a pain. This forum is http://www.tnttt.com/ not Taptalk so I would not attach the two together, that is something you do on your own.
  • To me, the TnTTT forum is the Swiss Army Knife of referencing any and all subjects I can think of, to construct, modify, and use teardrops and tiny trailers...and retro standies, foamies, and even monstrously large (as compared to the original teardrop size: 4x8) cargo conversions.
  • Tapatalk is just a standby resource for me, which I can use to communicate with several of my favorite forums on my mobile devices, when my PC is unavailable. For me, the regular web-pages on a PC are the norm, and far better than using Tapatalk on any mobile device; though last year, I only had my old smartphone to use, and relied entirely on Tapatalk, so it is a useful tool.
  • On any forum I communicate with, if a trailer problem is seen by me, I share my limited knowledge, then refer them to this site, TnTTT. My local camping group has a Facebook page, so I reluctantly started to use FB again, after two previous times I quit it. Once there, I was invited to join another FB group, which like my local group, was a spinoff from TnTTT. And, I impart my experiences about trailers there, and direct the OP's back here, as the repository of tiny trailering info (the Library of Alexandria, to tiny trailer builders, I would think).
  • When I was thinking about camping again, after 30+ years without doing so, and converting my derelict small motorcycle trailer? (I don't know what it was, originally) into some sort of enclosed (or at least raised off the ground ) sleeper, I was already viewing Expedition Portal https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/, looking for ideas. I saw a reference to teardrop trailers, which sparked my memory of them from the 1950's, so I found TnTTT, while researching teardrops. The rest is history, since I am now an avid devotee of this forum, as are many others. With 1.2 million posts, 25.4 k registered members, and with sometimes as many as 488 online simultaneously (in April '17), I don't think this forum is going to die, anytime soon.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby crttaz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:58 am

Rethink that about a forum dying. The main forum I'm on is almost totally dead. I have 40k+ posts there, 48k registered members, but may never posted. Was bought out by AutoGuide/Vertical Scope and the death spiral began.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:40 am

This forum is great. With good people.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Padilen wrote:This forum is great. With good people.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

+1 :applause:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby low277 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:15 am

Not a big facebook fan, I was talked into it a few years ago and I look at maybe once a month. Only good thing about it is how easy it is to post a picture.

The forum is great, lots of good people, good ideas and knowledge. My only trouble is the picture posting. Thankfully others are able to do it, because the pictures do make a difference.

Keep up the good work!!!!

Have a safe and Happy 4th of July!!!!!
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion