Hello from Central California

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Central California

Postby bmr528 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:40 am

Hello all.

I am getting the itch to build my own Tear Drop, I am looking at the Rondack Lodge style ( as seen on Campingclassics.com ) as a possible type I would like to build.. I have a million questions but will hold off asking until I start my build.

A little about me, I live in the Central Valley of California ( Ag belt ) I work remotely for a software company ( based in Phoenix AZ ). I am a amateur astronomer and that's where the TD comes into play, our astronomy club makes many excursions to remote (dark sky) places, every year and tent camping just don't get it anymore. And while we are looking at full size campers, A TD for me on astronomy excursions makes too much sense.

Plus we like to take "National Park vacations" and the thought of pulling into a camp site, taking 10 minutes to setup, have a solid vehicle to sleep in, and not take a whole lot a extra fuel to tow behind the truck to get their.

I just don't know if I could convince my wife to indulge in camping in a TD,, she likes ample room plus comfort..

I have pretty good wood working skills and a good set of tools so I have the skill to do this..

djl
bmr528
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Central California

Postby greygoos » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Good luck and welcome
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:37 pm

Welcome, remember it's not a poor man's RV, it's a rich man's tent. Show her what an RV costs, registration, SMOG, storage, FUEL and then see what she thinks of a TD.

I also enjoy taking my telescope along. Nice to be out in the night air, no bugs, quiet, so relaxing. We mostly hit the eastern Sierras and are moving to Bishop soon...
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby dexstrom » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:42 am

Welcome, lots of great help here for building a TD.

bmr528 wrote:I just don't know if I could convince my wife to indulge in camping in a TD,, she likes ample room plus comfort..

djl

That is a challenge for some of us, while I admire the TDs, I ended up getting a tiny trailer based on a cargo frame for a more open feel, for my wife. We attach an add-a-room to the awning and have a porta-potty so she doesn't have to traipse across the campsite in the middle of the night to a bathroom. I also try to minimize the hassles for her, I do all the cooking and clean up, got her the most comfortable camp chairs and try to make it effortless for her to come along camping. Also try to find stuff that interests her that keeps her from being too bored while camping. Memory foam mattress helps too.

Daniel
dexstrom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Vedette » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:16 am

Never assume Teardrops are uncomfortable before you ave slept in one,
They make camping FUN again! :thumbsup:
My longest uninterrupted sleep in one was 15 hrs. Arrived at the campground near the end of a two week long trip and a good days drive and went in the teardrop for a quick nap before supper at 7:00 pm and woke up at 10:00 am the next morning, thinking it was still the same day.
My wife said she just left me to sleep while she had supper. :roll:
We honestly sleep better in the queen sized bed in our teardrop than the queen sized bed in our bedroom at home! ;)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
276 nights in our TD to date.........and we are off on another adventure tomorrow.....can't wait! :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves