Lost my battle with my TTT, and will be purchasing a WEEROLL

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Lost my battle with my TTT, and will be purchasing a WEEROLL

Postby bushido41 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:21 am

Hello Everyone,

Has been a while since my last post. I have been battling a water damage issue with my trailer, and finally IM giving up on my attempt to rebuild. The trailer was so damage due to water infiltration that end up in the frame. Once I remove all the walls, noticed how poor the construction was, basically all the structural members were tacked weld, and holding by the pressure of the sandwich of the walls.
I decided to purchase a WEEROLL trailer here in Florida, due to my new water infiltration paranoia. I visited last week their operations in Ocala Florida, and Tom, the owner of WEEROLL gave me a tour of his operation, and show their innovative roof system, that will never leak on the seems, because there are no roof seems on these trailers. The roof is a one piece aluminum roof, and the edges are bent on the corners to create a lid on the body of the trailer.https://www.facebook.com/weeroll/photos/a.1591911791113454.1073741828.1578778279093472/1820211118283519/?type=3&theater .

I will be purchasing his prototype of the SIlver Cloud XTREME, a new version of their 6X10x 66 Silver Cloud trailer, https://www.facebook.com/weeroll/photos/pcb.1845631355741495/1845631212408176/?type=3&theater.
That been said, I will be posting on the For sale section some parts that I purchased for the rebuild of my Cassette, that I will not be needing anymore. I have some aluminum fenders, and windows, and some other stuff. Once I get the Silver Cloud Xtreme to my house, and start the internal modifications, will start a build thread.

Regards,

Ed
Ed
K4BQN
ImageImageImage
bushido41
Teardrop Master

Re: Lost my battle with my TTT, and will be purchasing a WEE

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Thats to bad about your water damage, but good you found another option. When I lived in the midwest moisture was always a problem. Ruined our pop-up camper. Not that I live in the desert I'm trying to keep dust out. At least dust doesn't cause any damage.

Enjoy the new camper.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby bushido41 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:09 am

Hello KTM,

Yes, here in Florida rain is a big issue, I travel lots for work, so I cant be checking if the trailer is licking after a storm. Actually, that is exactly what happened to my TTT, I was traveling, and went I got back I had like an inch of water inside the trailer. Im looking forward to get my Weeroll, and customize the inside to my likings, and camp again .

Regards,
Ed
K4BQN
ImageImageImage
bushido41
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:46 am

I think it's a crime that commercial builders are still using OSB for flooring (and anywhere else). Just a matter of time.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:43 am

The real CRIME is the OSB they use … Untreated !!! … We found that saturating common OSB with “the Mix “ does a LOT to waterproof it ;) … It’s as if trailer manufacturers are in a great hurry to get the product built and out the door , no matter what the consequences or Lack of Quality … It’s as if they know how bad their product is , their warranties are short and full of hidden exceptions ( the Fine print ) ... :twisted: I guess when the first one falls apart , they expect you to buy another one … A truly EVIL Empire …

JMHO , the only quality trailer is one you build yourself:thumbsup:

On my Jayco, they didn’t even use OSB , but more like really CHEAP particle board … Just the Humidity made it go runny like Oatmeal … :x The trailer never made it to the end of the warranty period before falling apart … Jayco denied all warranty claims ( the Fine print) …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:44 am

GPW wrote:The real CRIME is the OSB they use … Untreated !!! … We found that saturating common OSB with “the Mix “ does a LOT to waterproof it ;) … It’s as if trailer manufacturers are in a great hurry to get the product built and out the door , no matter what the consequences or Lack of Quality … It’s as if they know how bad their product is , their warranties are short and full of hidden exceptions ( the Fine print ) ... :twisted: I guess when the first one falls apart , they expect you to buy another one … A truly EVIL Empire …

JMHO , the only quality trailer is one you build yourself:thumbsup:

On my Jayco, they didn’t even use OSB , but more like really CHEAP particle board … Just the Humidity made it go runny like Oatmeal … :x The trailer never made it to the end of the warranty period before falling apart … Jayco denied all warranty claims ( the Fine print) …
  • We've been lucky, I guess, with our 2007 model 20-ft Palomino Puma 20-QB. The floors have held up well, after 5 years of intermittent use on the road, 4-5 years sitting neglected next to a shed, and heavy usage (2 of us + 7 dogs inside) for 3 months last fall, when we had to quickly replace our failing house. There were two water leaks, while the trailer was just sitting (frozen lines ...the trailer was never winterized during the sitting period), and no damage occurred to the floor , because it had vinyl flooring. I investigated, while prepping/repairing it for our emergency occupancy last fall, and found no damage to the OSB floor beneath it. Lucky.
  • our 2007 Palomino Puma.jpg
    our 2007 Palomino Puma.jpg (178.08 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
  • I spread rubber/carpeted mats over the floor when we moved into the trailer, to further protect the floor at night, against the inevitable doggy accidents. The trailer survived the ordeal, though it took a toll on the dinette (where the two biggest dogs chose to sleep). However, knowing that dogs and OSB flooring aren't a good mix (parquet floor tiles over OSB in some rooms in our old house didn't fare well over 25 years of "accidents"). Since we knew about the bad "dogs/water(yellow, at times)/OSB" interaction, we ordered our replacement "manufactured housing" home with seamless heavy-grade vinyl (I wanted old-school linoleum, but didn't get it) over 3/4" plywood floors (at significant extra cost). If we had had time to stick-build a new home on our lot (my wife insisted on staying put here), I would've had the floor/sub-flooring made from 3/4" plywood, treated with "the mix", as long-term insurance. My wife will still have many pets, even after I'm gone (I'm much older than she is). She may get maybe many more pets..I won't let her get any more right now (we're down to 5 dogs, no cats. and two birds...our lowest total in 24.5 years), and it's still a full-time job cleaning up after them (good thing I'm retired).
  • In summation, from my prior experience with OSB flooring, if you have to use it, put a seamless water (and other) barrier over it, or soak it/treat the OSB with "the mix", or similar, or you might eventually have to replace it (I had been replacing it, room by room, in the old house, floor & sub-floor, wherever I found OSB). I hate OSB. Luckily for the OP, Wee-Roll offers treated flooring, at least on their off-road trailers, as an option. I'm sure that they could be persuaded to include it on his preferred model
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I hope the next trailer works better for you. But as this has a wood floor would adding a timer and dehumidifier when not in use?
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
The 300 Club

Postby bushido41 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Luckly the new trailer also has an aluminum floor. I’m trying to use the least amount of wood that I can.
Ed
K4BQN
ImageImageImage
bushido41
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion