Formica deco metal

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Formica deco metal

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Has anyone used this Deco Metal by Formica on the outside of their tear?
http://tinyurl.com/l3szj
I can't find anything on the Formica website that says it can't be used outside. It does say that it will not bend sharper then 8" and is more dent resistant then the metal alone. The reason I ask is that one of my suppliers has damaged/reject sheets at 20.00 each.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:05 pm

WB, we looked at a similar product(don't remember what brand) when we started our build, since they had all these wonderful textures and colors...then we found out it costs around 9 bucks a sqft :shock: :shock: :shock: so we stuck with mill finish Al....don't know about weather resistance but that is a heck of a price....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:10 pm

That stuff looks pretty cool, the only problem I can see except for the possible UV thing is what do you do at the joints to make them water tight?
Otherwise it looks do-able. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Re: Formica deco metal

Postby Micro469 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:10 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Has anyone used this Deco Metal by Formica on the outside of their tear?
http://tinyurl.com/l3szj
I can't find anything on the Formica website that says it can't be used outside. It does say that it will not bend sharper then 8" and is more dent resistant then the metal alone. The reason I ask is that one of my suppliers has damaged/reject sheets at 20.00 each.

Check the Data sheets on their website. Says its for horisontal or vertical interior use only. ;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:31 pm

I did not see the interior use on the site. But I did see where it says it moves less then the metal alone does. As for how to deal with the seams, I am building a woody so I wanted to do just the roof with it. I could cover the seam with a wooden rib sealed and screwed down. Any thoughts? Unless the exterior exposure delaminates the metal to their backing I can't see what else could happen to it.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:39 pm

At that price, whether you used it on the exterior of the tear or not...I'd get it...lots of things you can do with it in the future, and you could have a lot of fun with it while finishing out the galley.... :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Melvin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:21 pm

Nitetimes wrote:That stuff looks pretty cool, the only problem I can see except for the possible UV thing is what do you do at the joints to make them water tight?
Otherwise it looks do-able. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Silicone sticks to formica pretty good, all you'd need is a cover strip of Al to prevet mechanical damage.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:23 am

It says right on the top of that page that it's for interior use.

And come to think of it, do they make ANY kind of mica for exterior use?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:26 am

Woodbutcher wrote:I did not see the interior use on the site. But I did see where it says it moves less then the metal alone does. As for how to deal with the seams, I am building a woody so I wanted to do just the roof with it. I could cover the seam with a wooden rib sealed and screwed down. Any thoughts? Unless the exterior exposure delaminates the metal to their backing I can't see what else could happen to it.

Woodbutcher
this would be real good inside the galley. The problem I would worry about is the sun. UV and heat might permanately warp or damage it.

Now at $20 a sheet how can you go wrong? You might have to replace your roof.

Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:59 pm

Ok, you convinced me not to try it for the roof. I have a sheet of Formica with the Bommerang pattern for my galley countertop. Maybe I will look at the Deco stuff for the sides in the Galley. Thanks for the help!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:01 pm

I've used Kim metal, Wilsonart metal products and Formica metal products for interior applications. The finish is very thin and can be removed with very little effort with sand paper or a file. It's also very thin. Those metals are usually used for decorative applications and are sometimes phenolic backed (looks like sanded p-lam) and would de-laminate with exterior use. I had scraps and chose not to use them on my tear. :relaxing: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques