SoapCreek Adventure Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: SoapCreek Adventure Trailer

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:53 am

It does look good outside. I also agree on the running boards, they will work real well on an off road camper.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby soapcreek » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:33 pm

I was able to check a couple more things off the to-do list this weekend. Finished sanding the cabin, trimmed the inside with 1/4 round and got the fenders drawn and first test cut. Made a couple small adjustments after the test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby soapcreek » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm

You know you need to get off your but and finish a project when the chickens try to move in. When I say I have fresh eggs in the galley...

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby soapcreek » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:57 pm

The last thing to figure out for interior cabin configuration was the bunk beds for the kids. I wanted something temporary so I can easily remove once the kids get older. At that time we will install upper cabinets and a rooftop tent. The kid-o-bunk was the ticket.

We will need to lift slightly for foot clearance with a bed mat. It even will configure into a couch. With a couple pillows for the back it will be comfortable.

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LMarsh » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:41 pm

I'm trying to build bunks that function just like the Kid-O-Bunk. I wanted to be able to convert the bunks into a seat. However the whole build is taking me too much time and even though I finished the lower bunk to be ready to support the upper one and accept it when folded down, I think I'm going to have to give up and just make an easy permanent upper bunk shelf. Maybe I could still convert it in the future with only a few small holes to conceal. Its been 2 1/2 years and my kids will be too big to even sleep in it by the time I'm done. Hopefully it will only be a few more weeks though. The Kid-O-Bunk is too long to fit otherwise I'd even consider just using that. I'd never seen one until your post.
Last edited by LMarsh on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMarsh
Teardrop Master

Postby soapcreek » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:04 pm

LMarsh wrote:I'm trying to build bunks that function just like the Kid-O-Bunk. I wanted to be able to convert the bunks into a seat. However the whole build is taking too me much time and even though I finished the lower bunk to be ready to support the upper one and accept it when folded down, I think I'm going to have to give up and just make an easy permanent upper bunk shelf. Maybe I could still convert it in the future with only a few small holes to conceal. Its been 2 1/2 years and my kids will be too big to even sleep in it by the time I'm done. Hopefully it will only be a few more weeks though. The Kid-O-Bunk is too long to fit otherwise I'd even consider just using that. I'd never seen one until your post.

I think one could easily modify the Kid-o-bunk if a shorter bed was needed. The side rails consists of a three piece assembly. The middle piece could be shortened by 20-21 inches max. The sewing of the bed material to shorten it would be the time consuming process.

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby soapcreek » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:57 am

Finally got the fenders cut out. Propped one in place to get an idea of how it looks. The plan is to cut some rectangles out of the diamond plate to dress it up. These are quite a bit stiffer than what I had originally.

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby soapcreek » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Took the trailer into town to get weighed today and unfortunately the S.C.A.T. tipped the scales where I was guessing (on the heavy side). It came in at 1940 lbs. I should have payed a little more attention to weight while building. I think the overbuilt trailer doesn’t help.

The good news is the trailer pulled nice. The trailer has 3500lbs axles and will take a beating. This also marks the third time I’ve lifted the cabin by the walls with the tractor without it falling into pieces. Time to focus on the positives.

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:09 am

Enjoy watching your build progress,, with removing the cabin the 3 times and no problems, it will take the beating when off road...
Will watch for more updates...
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby soapcreek » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:28 pm

A bit of a disappointment today. Dropped the cabin off at the linex shop. They were all excited to work on a unique project. They unfortunately waited until I drove all the way home to tell me they were going to be 3 times the original estimate. Turned back around and picked it back up. 3+ hours waisted and about $60 of diesel. Time to research different options.

Plus side cabin travelled down the road 60 mph for a couple hours and didn’t blow into pieces. I will likely get to learn a new finish process.

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:02 pm

My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby soapcreek » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:05 pm

DaddyJeep wrote:This...

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... lq5o_e_p37

DJ

I was just reading about that product. Currently watching videos and reading reviews. Anybody have any experience with the tintable product? Do you just find a local auto body shop to tint it for you?

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:22 am

soapcreek wrote:

DJ

I was just reading about that product. Currently watching videos and reading reviews. Anybody have any experience with the tintable product? Do you just find a local auto body shop to tint it for you?

From reading up on the product, you buy the tint color from them and add it yourself.. I haven't used it.. Though, have been thinking of possibly using it for the top and hatch area on ours..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:09 am

soapcreek wrote:

DJ

I am using it on my build viewtopic.php?p=1204707#p1204707

I have more info when I get home from work today I will look it up
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:28 am

I eventually ended up not liking the smoother look when I reduced the bedliner spray. Here is my tongue box without it being reduced. Not reducing the bed liner also made the color truer to what I wanted

viewtopic.php?p=1228753#p1228753

This build used monster liner rolled on
viewtopic.php?p=1048939#p1048939
DWT77
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals