Fenders - not sure how I should do this (**New Pics 8-11-18)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Fenders - not sure how I should do this (**New Pics 8-7-

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am

I'd consider cutting the fenders down a bit and centering them. I don't think a gap looks bad. Keep in mind those deep-tread tires are going to pick up a lot of gravel.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby eagle24 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 am

tony.latham wrote:I'd consider cutting the fenders down a bit and centering them. I don't think a gap looks bad. Keep in mind those deep-tread tires are going to pick up a lot of gravel.

:thinking:

Tony

I'm definitely going to cut them down some. I may even cut them in the corners and spread them a little, then weld them back. Still can't decide about centering them. If you google "offroad teardrop camper" and view the images, a lot of them have all terrain tires that stick out of the fenders. I don't want to be slinging rocks at everybody on the highway, but I'm not sure the tires sticking out will much effect. I think a rock would more likely come out under the fender than off to the side. If I do center the fenders, I may add a tube frame between the trailer and fender to fill the space and secure the fender to the side of the trailer. I'd design it so that water would pass through and not get trapped and create a rust problem. Still thinking. :thinking:
eagle24
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 pm

How about bending a piece of round tube (something 1 1/2"-ish) to match the profile of the fenders and attaching it to the outside of the fenders, maybe making it come back to the frame at the bottom edge? That would solve the extra width and give you a nice beefy area to stand on. It would also give it a "nerf bar" look.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby eagle24 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Ottsville wrote:How about bending a piece of round tube (something 1 1/2"-ish) to match the profile of the fenders and attaching it to the outside of the fenders, maybe making it come back to the frame at the bottom edge? That would solve the extra width and give you a nice beefy area to stand on. It would also give it a "nerf bar" look.

I like that idea and it would be cool looking, but I'm afraid it exceeds my fabrication abilities and the shop tools I have.
eagle24
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:02 pm

How about buy a third fender and cut it down the middle. Cut the other fenders the proper width and weld the two together. I've seen people do it that way.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Padilen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:50 pm

The fender only needs to cover the tire. It doesn't have to go to trailer side.
Technically this isn't covering tire tread so not technically legal

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby eagle24 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:56 am

I fabbed up the fender mounts/steps last night and got 1 side welded to the frame and the fender tacked on. The steps are solid and can be stood on. I think the fender can be stood on once it is fastened to the trailer side and welded. The tires will stick out of the fenders about 1-1/4". That's not as much as half the 4x4 trucks running up and down the road.
eagle24
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to General Discussion