Build 2 begins: hybrid foamie

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Build 2 begins: hybrid foamie

Postby Tigris99 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 am

So we sold the bright blue box, I'm going down for surgery and money matters for such weren't jiving. Wasnt a big deal as I wanted to build something lighter.

Got word today I get to pull a pop up out of a storage place just for the storage fees owed. $100. Pop up could easily be fixed, needs a good cleaning and seams at the door fixed. So I may try to sell it off the trailer but first going to see if there is anything I want to use from it first.

So I pick that up tomorrow!

Now for the basic plans. Main thing is weight. Keep the weight low. First one I built was way over built and still under 1500 lbs fully loaded for a trip. Think 1000 is achievable (fully loaded). Been spending more time digging in foamie builds around here getting ideas. Likely even cut out some of the trailer frame, anything that's not needed for structural integrity for the build.

Mostly foam. I wont be trying to glue wood into carved out foam. Will get proper (but much lighter design than before) framing. Wood use will be kept to minimum though. Will have to have support for roof rack to hold kayaks

I am considering doing really thin underlayment ply over the outside however to create a hard shell.

Going to do a bit of a "toy hauler" style design this time. Instead of rear galley, will just be a big hatch for access. Be able to transport mountain bikes and gear in it.

The "galley" will be up front. Cooler and water tank storage. Hoping we will have noticeably more interior space by doing things this way and making weight reduction a priority.

That's all I have beyond "mental pictures" at the moment. Need to get the camper here so I can do some measuring.

Also going to make it a bit more "off the beaten path" capable. Not full 4x4 off road beast, but something that matches the design of my TV (2003 CRV, last body style before they went to soccer mom style crap) Bug out capable but not full blown jacked up mountain climber.

That's why the major importance of keeping weight down as far as possible.

Pic is of my newish TV. My baby lol. Towed the blue box with it, weight was an issue a little (power to maintain 55-60 on gradual road changed) fully loaded. Especially going down when I had a weekend worth of fire wood in the back too. Cant find pics from the last trip though.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Re: Build 2 begins: hybrid foamie

Postby HMK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:29 pm

I've thought about using 1/8 underpayment glued on both sides of the foam myself. Sort of a sandwich the foam in between
HMK
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:28 pm

I built something very similar to what you are planning; front galley, rear cargo door. If I had it to do again I'd make the galley pull out to the side so I wouldn't have to straddle the hitch. I built it with the cargo door opening to the side. I should have either built a lighter door that opens up or a heavier door that opens down for a ramp.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:34 am

The sandwich is similar to what I did before. But had more framing than was needed by far as I didnt realize how strong the foam is till I was working with it.

Will be really thin stuff but it gives a solid shell which is what I want. Foam damages too easily for my liking. Well dents, scrapes etc.

We wont have a crazy galley. Pull out drawer with the cooler and such probably. Not going full on galley, just a small sink again maybe and place to put food/cooler. I got the pull out idea from a manufactured offroad teardrop one of my riding buddies and his wife own. Actually my hole idea came from that one. But going simpler, CHEAPER and light weight

Got the pop-up home now. Kind hard to destroy it lol. Its nicely sized Jayco. Needs a good cleaning and a few minor repairs. But with basic load it would max out my CRV and sags the rear pretty bad. Though at least up to 45mph my CRVs 2.4L doesnt really care much. Even pulls the weight up and over the bridge no problem. But I know the nightmares that come with pop-ups.

Didnt expect it to be decent as it is, going to see what I may be able to get out of it, see if camper without trailer (or entire thing) is worth enough to justify selling. If I can turn it into $1000-1500 with a few hours work it would fund a new trailer and the entire foamie build. If I could sell the camper without the trailer for a couple hundred I'm still ahead and have my trailer.

Damn trailer on this thing is way over built though lol. Except the tiny ass wheels and tires.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:13 am

Ok so I looked under it to see what it would take to raise ride height, it's in a torsion axle!!! Never looked under a pop-up before.

A torsion axle I can definately work with. Unbolt, add

Trailer looked over built till I looked closer. It's all thin channel so will prove to be much lighter weight than anticipated.

So decision made, going with original plan. Do some cleaning a couple repairs to the pop-up then take it off the trailer and sell it. Couple hundred should be easy to get out of it. Be money ahead.

Since I'll be down for several weeks due to shoulder surgery coming up, I'll have plenty of time to sit down and draw up proper detailed plans on what's going to be done.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:51 pm

What kind of shoulder surgery. Some approaches allow activity almost right away.
Good luck with it.
:thumbsup:
Wish we still had PMs available.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm

I have to have bicep tendons reattached. tore them loose partially. I'll only be in asking for a couple weeks but limited use for several and could be up to 6 months before my arm is back to normal.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:06 pm

ok so minor change in plans. Friend has a 5x12 single axle that needs a paint job but solid otherwise. Some cash and the trailer for the popup camper.

I'm down with that!!! 12ft of trailer to work with, hell ya!!!!

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:24 pm

Sounds like you are making some good trades......
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:10 pm

yes and no...

got the trailer home and HOLY CRAP. It's a tank. I expected a 5x12 utility trailer. When did someone make a 5ft wide trailer that could haul an M1 Abrams Tank if it could fit on it. I mean seriously this thing is so over built its INSANE. At most I expected something design to haul quads or side by sides. Low sides, single axle etc, why would someone need a trailer that stout but only 5ft wide....

But all is not lost. My cousin who has a light weight 5x8 is interested in it. So we may be trading straight accross. His is newer and built for hauling a riding mower and stuff like that. Makes more sense. I told him if I kept this thing I was going to be going nuts with cut off wheel on my grinder. He goes "No way, that's such a f'ing waste of a good trailer for hauling heavy stuff".

Shall see over the next couple days. Modifying and lengthening his is easy. way easier than cutting this one apart. flipping the axle on the springs and so on.

Getting excited to start this build. Knowing what I do now I can do so much with so little compared to my previous build. Cost 1/4 as much but be bigger and Lighter weight.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby ojgrsoi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:40 am

Tigris99 wrote:I have to have bicep tendons reattached. tore them loose partially. I'll only be in asking for a couple weeks but limited use for several and could be up to 6 months before my arm is back to normal.

you'll do fine. I had the same surgery 3 years ago. It was about 6 months until I could use it normally but stay easy on it. It finally got 100% at 12 months. :thumbsup:
Mark
Weatherford - True Texas

https://youtu.be/BKs6XfgAKKc
ojgrsoi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 am

ojgrsoi wrote:
Tigris99 wrote:I have to have bicep tendons reattached. tore them loose partially. I'll only be in asking for a couple weeks but limited use for several and could be up to 6 months before my arm is back to normal.

you'll do fine. I had the same surgery 3 years ago. It was about 6 months until I could use it normally but stay easy on it. It finally got 100% at 12 months.
Thanks. The way the doctor explained the way they are going to fix it I'll be able to use my arm in 2-4 weeks but nothing heavy and such for a bit. Should be at 100% within 6 months. Hopefully that's correct because I cant be waiting six months to be operational again. I really cant afford to be down more than a month but dont want this surgery twice.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Work with your therapist and do the exercises at home in moderation
and you will recover faster than they expect. I do mean moderation.

I had two friends that assumed they could jump in full bore lifting
and both ended up needing repairs on the repair.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:11 pm

yeap I know that one well. its my 4 injury to my right arm. Wrist all messed up from high school football, then few years later broke my hand badly. then a couple years back tore up my elbow at work (that SUCKED) and now up to my shoulder lol.

All on my right arm and I'm right handed. Became very good and doing about everything left handed except never managed to be able to write where it was more legible than a pre-schooler lol.

I'm hard on my body. I'm 37 and work circles around people almost half my age and size. Guys at my shop just get out of my way because I can do about any repair in half the time ( and less than half the time it takes them most of the time)if I dont have to work around someone. It's fun cause technically I'm low man in the pole but I'm telling them what to do and riding their asses to hurry up lol. All in good fun though, the one owner is one of my best friends.

OH and to add to my issues see the pic. Was helping my buddy fix his brakes and sliced my left arm open. Had no idea till 15 minutes later when it started raining so we came in and I took my nitrile gloves off, left one had a ton of blood in it. Wife made me go to the doctors and get it glued up and such. Then they took her word over mine as to when my last tetanus shot was... so had then stick me in my left arm forgetting how sore it gets for a few days.

NOW BOTH MY ARMS HURT ALL THE TIME!!! And have to catch sh** from my buddies about wife dragging me to the doctors for trying to fillet my arm. We finished the brakes and I was making the gash in my arm "talk" when she got off work. She didnt find my attempted ventriloquism very funny though hahahaImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 pm

Man.............. I remember those days. Only that stuff hurts again, sometimes more,
when you get older.
:roll:
Glad you can still laugh about it. ;)
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals