Spare Tire Mount

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Spare Tire Mount

Postby phoenixbound » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Just got back from my first camping use of the CTC. Things went really good. Wife and I are happy with how it all turned out. We did start thinking about how we could make things better. I currently have the trailer spare mounted on an e-Track rack inside. I need to move it to the tongue if possible. Any thoughts on this? At this time welding is not an option as part of the solution. I am attaching a picture of the current tongue. I have a few ideas in mind, but wanted to hear from the group first. Pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Tongue.jpg
Tongue.jpg (125.99 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Re: Spare Tire Mount

Postby Ottsville » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:49 pm

You can buy a bolt on tire carrier that will go on the tongue. Not very sexy, but functional.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby phoenixbound » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 pm

At this point it's all about function. Thanks.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 am

Can't you just toss it in the back of the TV when traveling and just store it on the Etrac inside when not using the camper. It would be better off out of the sun and etc. long term.?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 am

There's a lot of mounts you can use but the short trailer tongue limits space. I had the same issue and used one of these mounts, which I bolted onto the outside wall above the curb side fender and through the wall struts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-R-P-Alu ... ount&rt=nc
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:56 am

Ya had a good time then. Excellent. Gets a little cold at night eh? But the weather was awesome and the crowds much lighter than previous years.
Here's a link for e trailer spare tire racks. https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Spare+Tire+Carrier
I just recently mounted mine to the ramp, but it did take some welding to reinforce the ramp frame and some precise placement to keep it from binding or contacting the ground before the ramp was fully lowered. Not a huge job, but the ramp was all apart so I also insulated and installed the black diamond flooring. The weight of the spare is now behind the axle, taking a good chunk off the tongue weight.
Glad you enjoyed trip and new trailer,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:18 pm

McDave wrote:Ya had a good time then. Excellent. Gets a little cold at night eh? But the weather was awesome and the crowds much lighter than previous years.
Here's a link for e trailer spare tire racks. https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Spare+Tire+Carrier
I just recently mounted mine to the ramp, but it did take some welding to reinforce the ramp frame and some precise placement to keep it from binding or contacting the ground before the ramp was fully lowered. Not a huge job, but the ramp was all apart so I also insulated and installed the black diamond flooring. The weight of the spare is now behind the axle, taking a good chunk off the tongue weight.
Glad you enjoyed trip and new trailer,

McDave

Yea, I took a space heater and we used it a little while one morning, but not too bad. I ended up running the AC at night, overall just kept it more comfortable. It was a great trip and I was happy with most everything I built. Still room for improvement, but can't wait to go again. The crowds were lighter. I have no idea why. We went to Sturgis Weds. Still a pretty good crowd there. Always is I guess. Looked at some Tallboy handlebars for the Tri-Glide. Should have them before we back.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 pm

flboy wrote:Can't you just toss it in the back of the TV when traveling and just store it on the Etrac inside when not using the camper. It would be better off out of the sun and etc. long term.?

Agreed ... this is what do... because it is my understanding that UV rays from the sun are extremely harmful to tires
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:03 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:
flboy wrote:Can't you just toss it in the back of the TV when traveling and just store it on the Etrac inside when not using the camper. It would be better off out of the sun and etc. long term.?

Agreed ... this is what do... because it is my understanding that UV rays from the sun are extremely harmful to tires

Well, you could put a cover on it I suppose, but you still have to lock them or they could walk away. Just thinking it is no big deal to toss in back and then when in storage is is locked inside and weather is not an issue then either.. That is how I used to do mine in first CTC, now I have room to just leave inside on Etrac.

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Grummy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:13 pm

I recently had to figure out what I was going to do with the spare and the only place that made sense was a back door mount. I used some 80/20 aluminum extrusion I had here, turned a plate on the lathe for the rim backer and spaced it off the correct distance with two short 80/20 sections. Image.

In order to make sure bumps would not jar the assembly loose, one long bolt in the middle captures all of the components and serves as a lock point. Image

I mounted it with 4 bolts on the top rail and two on the bottom. The top rail bolts go thru the door into T-Nuts, just beyond the doors aluminum studs because they are only 1" x 1", and drilling thru them could weaken the ramp.

My first 12 hour drive left it in the exact shape it was when I mounted it, giving me confidence that it will forever stay put. Now all I need to do is get a tire cover.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby phoenixbound » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Wow, very nice. I like it.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:27 am

That does look like a good job on the ramp mounted spare. I went a different route and welded plate steel to the ramp frame members and welded the studs to the plate. This way the weight is spread out between 3 vertical and the bottom horizontal frame members. Placement was critical as you don't want spare to bind or contact the ground before ramp is fully lowered. Couple road trips, 1200-1500 miles no problems so far. I need to cover the tire as well. On the list...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:30 pm

Fitting a spare tire on a teardrop is one of my pet peeves. So almost no decent place for one! I like your solution. A rear-mounted spare tire seems to be the best design as long as your door can handle the strain. Yours looks beefy, so I have no doubt the tire will stay where it's told :)
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby BigDave_185 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:37 am

Has anyone tried to mount one under the tongue of the trailer? My trailer sits pretty high considering, it would be rather easy to junk yard find a GM cable hoist for the tire to roll up and down on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:48 pm

This one came on mine from the factory. It's never in my way, never has come loose on long dirt roads or highways, and its easy to remove the tire by loosening two lugs. (Spare lugs too!) I have used a spare tire cover in the past, but it usually gets worn and tore up from all the travelling I do. About a push cost-wise.
Now I just use the spare as one of the replacements when I wear out a set of tires, and keeping the spare fairly "new" since I need tires every two to three years. 58699587015870058698
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions