Standy camper on a pop up frame

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Standy camper on a pop up frame

Postby tmclemore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:18 pm

I was able to fit the shower/toilet next to the galley.

And still have room for a closet to house the electrical and a little storage. this is the finished closet and shower.

Behind that I was able to fit a dinette that transforms into a queen size bed. Also built in upper cabinets for storage all the way around the back.

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Atomic77 wrote:What axle/springs are you running and what is the gross estimated weight?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

According to the coleman manual the axles are 2200 pound capacity. Everything I have read say they are probably able to handle a little more weight than what they are rated for. I put 10 ply tires on it hoping that will help a little. I'm still shooting to be under the 2000 pounds.
If I miss the weight limit I'll just upgrade the axles. Most people would have done that first but I like to do things the hard way. :shock:
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Well don't feel bad. I missed it by 1000lbs. Put it on the scales and couldnt believe my eyes. She flattened out the springs before I could get her home. Upgraded the next day

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tmclemore » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 pm

I have moved the trailer around and haven't noticed the springs even moving much at all. The tongue weight is still low enough that I can pick it up and push it around without much grunting. I should have it buttoned up enough next week to take it to the scales. Keep your finger crossed. Im wondering if I could get by with heavier springs and not have to change the axle if I'm at my weight limit. :thinking:
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:04 am

tm, find a nearby trailer maker and talk to them about the axle and weight..
When I had our trailer built, having no idea what the final weight would be.. I went with a 3500 lb axle w/springs, knowing it was probably overkill.. I also knew that to soften the ride later, I could remove a leaf on the spring sets..
I didn't want to take the chance of hitting one of our states intersection dips (as they call them) or an infamous pot hole and bend an axle.. when the weight shifted..
You, like most of us, have so much time and work in your camper to risk the damage,, IMHO.. :thinking:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby steve cowan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:03 am

Great job you're doing on a standy.Thanks for posting this.I've been collecting parts to build a similar one on a 11 x 6.5 foot popup frame.Enjoying watching

yours come together. :thumbsup:
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby tmclemore » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:03 am

I have finished most of the inside with the exception of the plumbing. I painted everything with primer then coated it with kitchen and bath latex enamel. I had this paint left over from our bathroom remodel so I was pretty sure the boss would like the color. I think I'll have to add some colorful curtains and cushion covers to brighten the inside up a little.
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 am

I began the process of covering the outside with PMF. I looked at all the possibilities for final outside skins and determined the PMF would be the least expensive and more suited to my capabilities. I studied as many posts as I could on the best way to apply PMF and decided to just get after it. I found the canvass on amazon in 9x12 foot seamless pieces thinking they would be big enough. After washing them they shrunk to 8 x 10. My trailer is 11 feet long so I had to order the 12 x 15 canvass to have enough to cover the whole side. The new 12 x 15 shrunk quite a bit too but still left me with enough length to cover the left side in one piece. Because I'm cheap I decided to use the other too short pieces on the side with the door and only have a small overlap above the door. Hoping it would not be a noticeable.

I used the method I saw on this site but can't find the build post again. It was probably the best pmf application to a trailer that I have ever seen. The best of it is that it worked in my case too. Rolling the canvass on to a piece of pvc and working in small sections made the application very easy. I was able to get it glued down without any extra hands.

Yesterday I was able to get the first piece on the back of the trailer. Because of the length of the trailer I will have to have a couple overlaps across the top. However the seams look okay if I take my time to trim the canvass with a straight edge. My thoughts are to incorporate some sort of outside paint design to camouflage the seems. I didn't get pics of the seams at the door. I'll see if I can get a couple tonight.

All in all I 'm very happy with the way the canvass went on. I hope I am as pleased with the way it takes paint. Should I use an exterior primer first or just whatever latex exterior paint I can get my hands on?
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:39 am

Waiting on the next update.. :) How's the exterior going?
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tmclemore » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:27 am

Got a little work done last night. Had to order another dropcloth to finish the front. Should be able to get it finished up this evening. Then move on to painting. I'll post some more pictures of the progress tonight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:17 am

Glad you're still moving forward.. you still happy with the texture? What paint have you decided to use on it?
Ours, still doing the woody sides. Still not sure about the top yet.. :thinking: for sure not just wood. Was thinking of bed liner, though, just painting or PMF and then painting would be more in my budget right now..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby tmclemore » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:28 am

The jury is still out on the texture. I havent painted it yet but plan to start with an exterior primer and then exterior porch paint. I like the way the pmf covered my mistakes.

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ojgrsoi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:37 am

tmclemore wrote:The jury is still out on the texture. I havent painted it yet but plan to start with an exterior primer and then exterior porch paint. I like the way the pmf covered my mistakes.

I think you're doing great. Keep on keepin' on. ;)
Mark
Weatherford - True Texas

https://youtu.be/BKs6XfgAKKc
ojgrsoi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 am

Very nice job thus far. It really looks big inside for a small camper.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby tmclemore » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. There is more room than I originally envisioned. Not sure i really like the shower. It takes up a lot of real estate for something we won't use very often. I would prefer more storage. Just have to see how it works.
I was able to get all the pmf on and two coats of paint on this weekend. Ill post some pics this evening. I think it will take at least two or three more coats of paint. Then windows and the door. Woo hoo I can see the end un sight.

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals