Yep.....another FNG

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Yep.....another FNG

Postby GTS225 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:26 am

Name's Roger, have filled out my profile, albeit miserly, and am planning a tear build. Am 61.5 YO, and plan to retire at the end of Feb. '19, to start a new chapter of life. Hopefully, this one will let all "my time" actually be my time. Veteran of 21 years, 17 of it Iowa National Guard.

My plan is to build a bare bones tear on a 5'x8' frame of 2"x2" square tubing. (Frame is already together, with slipper spring suspension attached.) The cabin is planned to be 5'x10', but the main space will be 5'x8', with the remaining being a foot of overhang at each end. I do not anticipate an insulated wall or roof, and so far, my plan is completely 12vdc electrical, charged from one or two solar panels. (I'll carry an automotive battery charger as a backup, but don't really plan on needing it.)

I'm also a scrounger, and the frame I have built is a testament to that. Every foot of the tubing for it came out of the scrap metal dumpster at work. I did go though Etrailer for the suspension components, and am currently waiting on my 12" rim/tire purchase. (The local trailer parts suppliers seem to want to fund their retirement rather quickly.) (Shameless plug alert!) I love the free shipping events with Etrailer, as it saves a bunch on hard parts!

This is the second frame I've built, as I didn't think it through enough before I threw together a 4x8 frame, then realized it was going to be too small for my liking, hence the 5x8.

I'll see about getting a pic or two, and starting my own build thread, so as not to trash up my intro.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Re: Yep.....another FNG

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:21 am

Welcome and thank you for your service.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby friz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 am

Welcome and thank you for your service! I too have a 5 wide with a super simple 12v only system. The only electric must have in my opinion is a vent with a fan. My simple 12v system is plenty for this. I am able to keep my battery topped off when on the road with a 50w solar charger. Mine is not mounted to my camper. I like to park it in the shade and place my charger in the sun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby GTS225 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:25 pm

OK, youse guys. After reading through Windward Tom's "A different question" thread, you've caused me to rethink my build strategy. It seems that my idea of gluing up my own 5'x10'x3/4" sheets of ply out of 1/4" will still be rather hefty. You now have me wondering if I shouldn't do 1/4" inside and out, over 3/4" foam, with minimal 1"x2" framing.
I do have another technique rolling around in my shoulder-mounted vacuum chamber, but it's kinda "out there". We'll see.

As a side note, many kudos to Etrailer, and UPS ground. I ordered my 12" tire/wheel assemblies late Friday, and they arrived this afternoon. ETA was, at best, tomorrow, more than likely Friday. They actually got them into the shipping chain last Friday afternoon. That's a heck of a response time for anybody especially with a holiday being in the mix. The only supplier I've seen faster was McMaster-Carr.

Oh, and Friz? I'm diggin' that Chesapeake Bay Boats kit that you put together. Quite stylish, and a doggone nice finish.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Have you looked into foamies ? I used 1 1/2 foam with canvas glued inside and out.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:46 am

KennethW wrote:Have you looked into foamies ? I used 1 1/2 foam with canvas glued inside and out.

************************************************************************************************************************************

That, too, is bouncing around up there. :thinking: I have this idea for a "hybrid", so to speak, of a basic skeleton of 3/4" EMT welded together, with foam to fill in the spaces. It won't be the lightest, but should still be rather light. One of the problems that I see is that 3/4" conduit measures closer to 7/8" O.D., so 3/4" foam would be a bit too thin, and 1" would be a hair thick. That would effect the internal structure and outward appearance. I'll keep thinking.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:01 am

1 1/2 foam No need for a frame work. make it easy. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:23 am

I would suggest you invest in a copy of Steve Fredrick's Teardrop Builder's Shop Manual.

http://www.campingclassics.com/shopman05.html

It's not a set of plans. (See the Design Resources on this forum for that.) It shows you how to build: walls, roof, floor attachement. Hatch building. Invaluable.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves