Off Road Grumman 2ish (5x5x10) Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Off Road Grumman 2 (5x5x10) Build

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Looking good, I've been wanting to get to the galley but need to wait till I get the camper on the frame with tires on so I have an idea how high everything with be. Maybe another week or two.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:09 am

As with the interior cabinets, the galleys looking great..
The arched raised panel doors have always been one of my favorites..
I build cabinets for years, and even I usually just ordered them built..
Was easier on me, letting me do other things while I waited on them to be delivered.. were very time consuming to build..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:52 am

KTM_Guy wrote:Looking good, I've been wanting to get to the galley but need to wait till I get the camper on the frame with tires on so I have an idea how high everything with be. Maybe another week or two.

Todd

Todd, When I was going through the design phase of the build I had the same concern. So I never really started making plans for the galley until I had the side walls up. I had some ideas of what I liked from other peoples builds but nothing concrete.

My trailer is on 16 inch wheels and still wanting to put a ARB 50QT freezer underneath the cabinet on one of the slides meant the counter top needed to be 23" high. So now my counter top is 45" high from the ground. Quiet a bit higher than a standard house kitchen counter top. Someone that is 5'3" might have a hard time reaching everything in the back cabinets. I am 5'11" and it is still comfortable to me though
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:58 am

Staryder61 wrote:As with the interior cabinets, the galleys looking great..
Was easier on me, letting me do other things while I waited on them to be delivered.. were very time consuming to build..

David, I even thought about trying to make just some shaker doors for the galley but I agree the arched raised panels do look nice. Like you said the amount of time to make some is a pain. People with more wood working talent could probably make some without a jointer/planar ect.. but I just didn't want to try lol. Ordering them and putting hardware on them is fine with me.

So now if someone asks if I made the entire trailer. I will have to say well everything but the door fronts lol
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:38 pm

DWT77 wrote:

David, I even thought about trying to make just some shaker doors for the galley but I agree the arched raised panels do look nice. Like you said the amount of time to make some is a pain. People with more wood working talent could probably make some without a jointer/planar ect.. but I just didn't want to try lol. Ordering them and putting hardware on them is fine with me.

So now if someone asks if I made the entire trailer. I will have to say well everything but the door fronts lol

Wayne, I did the doors and drawer fronts for ours. They were time consuming also.. Though they were for us, so worth it.. :lol: Wanting something unique, that was me.. they were made when the weather wouldn't permit other things done on the tear. Still easier than the raised panel ones, Don't have as many tools as I used to when I had a cabinet shop.
When asked if you made it? Just say "YES, I did." ;) because your build speaks for itself. unless asked specifically about the doors. No other explanation needed.. :)
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Don't forget you can always split the counter up. Have a lower section with, say, a single drawer underneath, the a section with the fridge and either cabinets above, water jug storage (that wants to gravity feed anyway) or whatever. You counter does not need to go all the way across and/or does not need to be the same height all the way across.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:15 pm

KCStudly wrote:Don't forget you can always split the counter up. Have a lower section with, say, a single drawer underneath, the a section with the fridge and either cabinets above, water jug storage (that wants to gravity feed anyway) or whatever. You counter does not need to go all the way across and/or does not need to be the same height all the way across.

KC that is a good point and now that you mention it I do recall seeing some builds like that. Especially with the dorm like style fridge.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:54 pm

DWT77 wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:Looking good, I've been wanting to get to the galley but need to wait till I get the camper on the frame with tires on so I have an idea how high everything with be. Maybe another week or two.

Todd

Todd, When I was going through the design phase of the build I had the same concern. So I never really started making plans for the galley until I had the side walls up. I had some ideas of what I liked from other peoples builds but nothing concrete.

My trailer is on 16 inch wheels and still wanting to put a ARB 50QT freezer underneath the cabinet on one of the slides meant the counter top needed to be 23" high. So now my counter top is 45" high from the ground. Quiet a bit higher than a standard house kitchen counter top. Someone that is 5'3" might have a hard time reaching everything in the back cabinets. I am 5'11" and it is still comfortable to me though

I am lusting after an ARB fridge freezer myself. Big chunk of change. I’ll keep it or the cooler in the Jeep. That way we have it when we might leave the tear for day trips.

The local Overland off-road shop has an ARB that is used for the owners trips and then leaves it in the store with waters in it for customers running on 120v. It has been running non stop for over a year and a half since I have been going there. He wants to see/show how well built they are. And I bet it takes a beating in the back of his truck.

Counter hight isn’t a big deal for us, I’m 6’2 and my wife is 5’10. But no reason to go real tall if I don’t need too.

Hope to update the build in a day or two.

Todd

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby DWT77 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:16 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:
DWT77 wrote:

Todd

I am lusting after an ARB fridge freezer myself. Big chunk of change. I’ll keep it or the cooler in the Jeep. That way we have it when we might leave the tear for day trips.

The local Overland off-road shop has an ARB that is used for the owners trips and then leaves it in the store with waters in it for customers running on 120v. It has been running non stop for over a year and a half since I have been going there. He wants to see/show how well built they are. And I bet it takes a beating in the back of his truck.

Counter hight isn’t a big deal for us, I’m 6’2 and my wife is 5’10. But no reason to go real tall if I don’t need too.

Hope to update the build in a day or two.

Todd

Todd

Yeah for sure not cheap and I will wait until next year to get one but everything I have seen on them has been rock solid
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Staryder61 wrote:
DWT77 wrote:

Wayne, I did the doors and drawer fronts for ours. They were time consuming also.. Though they were for us, so worth it.. :lol: Wanting something unique, that was me.. they were made when the weather wouldn't permit other things done on the tear. Still easier than the raised panel ones, Don't have as many tools as I used to when I had a cabinet shop.
When asked if you made it? Just say "YES, I did." ;) because your build speaks for itself. unless asked specifically about the doors. No other explanation needed.. :)

Well I checked on the cabinet doors and drawer fronts. The minimum height Lakeside Moulding makes the drawer fronts are 8 inches and I only need 5. So I guess I will make my own. Will have to look at some options and what I like
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:49 am

DWT77 wrote:
Well I checked on the cabinet doors and drawer fronts. The minimum height Lakeside Moulding makes the drawer fronts are 8 inches and I only need 5. So I guess I will make my own. Will have to look at some options and what I like

Wayne, you can make them, no problem..

but if you decide not to.

Before I decided to make my own, I checked out:
Rick's Custom Woodworks in North Texas around Dallas:
http://www.rickscustomwoodworks.com/home.html
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:40 pm

Been working on the hatch

Marking the lines for the spars on the gusset every 12 inches. Marked both of them at the same time

Lining up the gusset

Used clamps and boards to make sure the hatch rib stays flush with the exterior wall

Test fitting everything

Marked the middle of the spars so when I take the hatch off the fasten it together on the workbench all I have to do is line up the lines and hopefully it makes it square.

Put the hatch back on to test it and make sure everything stayed square. Added the scrap pieces so it doesn't shift when I put on the interior of the hatch

Cut and test fitting the interior side and spar varnish

On the inside of the gusset I marked where the spars are located. Then I took a piece of wood and spaced out where I wanted my screws to go. Then I lined up the wood to the lines on the gusset. This way the screws would line up and look straight. I have some hinged screw caps on order.

Made some bracing where the handle will go. Will get started on the tail light wiring.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:51 pm

Got the exterior skinned. Did a 1/2 round over on the edge. Filled in the gaps with Spackle and sanded the galley and body of the teardrop. Pretty much ready to fibergalss the exterior.

I placed the taillights and reverse lights at 12 from center to the outside wall (They are a little hard to see in the pic they are the circles in sharpie). That looks a little narrow to me. I might move them out about 3 inches. Also, I am thinking about adding a 3rd taillight up top

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Hatch framing and skinning looks great.. also looks like a really good fit in the picture where you have it on the tear.. doing a great job on this Wayne :thumbsup: tail lights are a matter of preference.. (what do you like) as for the position? The third tail light would be a good idea.. IMO.. seems to be more tailgating going on to me.. If someone is and for some reason their lights are not working, and I stop, I want the vehicle behind them to see my third light.. (high visibility and safe)..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby soapcreek » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Everything is looking great. I agree with pushing the tail lights out a little further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals