Standy camper on a pop up frame

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Standy camper on a pop up frame

Postby tmclemore » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:49 am

ojgrsoi wrote:
tmclemore wrote:Nope. You have to haul it to an inspection station to ensure it is not a stolen trailer and it is in fact home made. The problem I ran into is even though mine is 95% home made the original frame is not. So I can't register it as home made. There are steps to registering it but it involves getting a court order and spending time and money to accomplish the task. Instead I have chosen to build a frame with updated springs and axles. I can then set my home built camper body onto my home built frame go get it inspected and apply for a title and registration. It will take a little time but the cost is about the same and I will have a trailer frame that is not 35 years old. My wife tells me I do things the hard way. I'm beginning to believe her.
2bits wrote:I am an expert in bonded titles but yes with no VIN it is a no go on that. You were saying it used to be easy to get registration in Texas but it sounds like something changed.. So you can't go in and register a new lightweight home built utility trailer any more?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorry things are going this way for you. Once your frame is complete you might consider is getting the 68a and applying for your vin before you mount your cabin. Then you can stamp your frame prior to painting it. You don't have to apply for title until you're ready.

That is good to know. I am assuming I will need the lights on the frame when I get my 68-A correct? Once I have the vin then I can title it as a travel trailer using the new vin? I'm still confused about the whole process. I think I will need some sort of deck on the frame to get a vin is that correct? If so I guess I can screw a couple of pieces of plywood to it and take it to the inspection station.
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ojgrsoi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:18 pm

tmclemore wrote:
That is good to know. I am assuming I will need the lights on the frame when I get my 68-A correct? Once I have the vin then I can title it as a travel trailer using the new vin? I'm still confused about the whole process. I think I will need some sort of deck on the frame to get a vin is that correct? If so I guess I can screw a couple of pieces of plywood to it and take it to the inspection station.

The officer can inspect just the frame and describe it as such on the 68a. There is no need to install a plywood deck.
Yes you would need lights. Maybe the temporary lights like these would work if you aren't ready for permanent lights.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-80778-M ... +light+kit

After you obtain the vin and stamp it on your frame, you can complete the unit. When you are ready to title & register give me a call and we can discuss the documents needed to title it as a travel trailer. Just take it one step at a time and you'll get it done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mark
Weatherford - True Texas

https://youtu.be/BKs6XfgAKKc
ojgrsoi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:14 pm

ojgrsoi wrote:
tmclemore wrote:

The officer can inspect just the frame and describe it as such on the 68a. There is no need to install a plywood deck.
Yes you would need lights. Maybe the temporary lights like these would work if you aren't ready for permanent lights.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-80778-M ... +light+kit

After you obtain the vin and stamp it on your frame, you can complete the unit. When you are ready to title & register give me a call and we can discuss the documents needed to title it as a travel trailer. Just take it one step at a time and you'll get it done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I called the regional office and asked which they would prefer, apply for a vin for the frame then apply for title of travel trailer or all at once. They suggested all at once. I'm inclined to do it your way since you have the experience of getting yours that way. Their comment was that the vin is different for the camper verses the utility trailer. One has a TR prefix the other has a HT prefix. The person at the TxDMV said it may be confusing if I do it separately. What prefix did your vin have for the trailer and did it pose a problem when you titled it as a travel trailer? Did you tell the inspector it was a frame for a travel trailer? At this point I just want to do it the right way once instead of the wrong way twice. I already tried it the way I thought it would work and didn't have much luck. The funny thing is, everyone at the County and the DMV were sympathetic to my issue but no one had any definite answers. I guess people don't build campers in my area much. May be an income opportunity if I ever get the title process figured out. :thinking:

Thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to do it like you did. I'll let you know when I have the trailer inspection and am ready to apply for the title.
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ojgrsoi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:31 pm

There is a form you'll fill out where you indicate the trailer type. (VTR-141). When you present the VTR 141 with your 68A applying for a vin they should give you the HT number. They will give you a copy of the 68A, VTR 141 and a 68N. The 68N has your vin number on it along with instructions on where to place the VIN. Piece of cake. ;)
Mark
Weatherford - True Texas

https://youtu.be/BKs6XfgAKKc
ojgrsoi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:15 am

Thank you for the help Mark. I'll let you know how it progresses. My guess is it is easier than I anticipate. Now if I could just get the frame finished. :NC
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:34 am

Was able to get some work done on the new trailer frame. Waiting on upgraded springs.

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:32 pm

So I haven't posted any updates lately. I finished the new frame and mounted the camper on it. Was able to get the trailer inspected and a new vin. Tomorrow I'll get a title and tags. Hopefully have a camping trip by mid December. Woo hoo!

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:38 am

I don't know how I missed this gem of a build! The Puffin for Four has always been one of my favorites and I can now add your build to that list.

I also appreciate the discussion on trailer registration in Texas. My next (some day) build will either be a small scratch-built standy or cargo trailer conversion. My previous experience is that the registration process varies county to county. It seems that the same forms are required but the sequence of steps seems to be different. Would you mind saying what County you are in?

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby tmclemore » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:12 am

I am in Cameron County. It has been a long process but mostly the problems were caused by my own ignorance. My suggestion is to do your home work before buying or building a trailer. I think I could do it again much easier after doing it once. Follow the steps on the DMV webpage and be ready to educate the person waiting on you at the county tax office. My tax office had never registered or titled a home built travel trailer. They were helpful and pleasant which was very refreshing. My biggest problem was the inspection station is a 50 mile round trip and the DMV is a 90 mile round trip in opposite directions. And there is only one certified public scale in Cameron county located 15 miles away. However I got it done and will post some pics of our first camping trip soon.

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:25 am

Did you ever get the finished camper weighed? You talked about weighing it in earlier post. Then the whole convo went to title issues.
Just curious if you had to change the axle or not?
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby tmclemore » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 am

The empty weight is 1620. Tounge weight is 40 putting the weight over the axle at 1580. I still have a few things to add to it which will bring the weight up a bit. I upgraded the springs to 2500 pound capacity may have to replace the axle too. It pulls like a dream. I took it down a pretty bumpy road and checked for damage and so far haven't found any. So far so good.

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks for the weight info. It really didn't finish out all that much heavier than what I've seen for other pop up campers. I think these are really great conversions. Kind of have plans cooking for doing one in the future. I really like how yours turned out. Have any recent pics to add? Sure would like to see more.

I also forgot to ask you in my first post about the side crank out window. Did you buy it new? If so where?
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby tmclemore » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:42 pm

I got the windows here http://www.shedwindows.com/Shed-Windows-Jalousie.html
I do have a few more pics. I changed the interior a little bit by removing the queen size bed and building two bunk beds and a smaller dinette. ImageImage

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Coffee on the stove!Image

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Working on the tongue box. Image