Mechanix Illustrated Teardrop, in 1/14 scale.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Mechanix Illustrated Teardrop, in 1/14 scale.

Postby frizzen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:24 am

Hi, i'm a noob.

I like playing with remote control vehicles. I'm kinda into 1/10 scale rock crawlers, but more importantly i'm really into 1/14 scale model Trucking and Construction Equipment.

There's more in the world than Semi trucks, dumptrucks, excavators, bulldozers, loaders, draglines, tractors, combines...

So i built up a Bay-window 1967-71 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter, from a german toy car. It came with surf boards, and a roof rack for them. But I'm in Indiana, what good is a surfboard? Around here it's just an excuse to find girl in bikinis.

It got bike racks added, lights wired up, more suspension travel, and some other custom touches.

Then i searched around the house for some scale accessories, and apparently it was time to set up camp?

And hit up the next meet with my log cabin and tent.

Anyway, at one of the meets, my dump truck smoked a steering servo. It was disappointing since i had really wanted to practice backing up a trailer around their loading docks and stuff.
Of my cars, the VW bus is most likely to pull a trailer, so it's gotta be really light. Maybe a baby Utility trailer, motorcycle hauler, or a Teardrop camper.

After much searching, I found a link to a 1947 Sept 'Mechanix Illustrated' pdf, "Teardrop trailer for two."
http://www.samstoybox.com/teardrop/trailer_for_two.pdf

Little quick math, playing with a xerox to get scaled patterns, and off to the garage. Grabbed some scrap luan that i've saved for "something" for years. Then this fell off the table of my scrollsaw.

Started sticking some 1/8" brass together, I ran out.

Quick mock up

Better make interior cabinets

Go grab the VW, i want to see how it looks

How about we cut a window shutter, then grab some bamboo skewers, and sewing pins. Razor blade, file, little bit of glue... Oh yeah, and let's see how it looks with an aluminum full-moon hupcap from a Monster can lid.

Push the window in at the top, it pivots open and it holds open for ventilation without a prop rod. Push it closed and the inner sill stops it flush.
Last edited by frizzen on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My build log, 1/14 scale

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70784
frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Mechanix Illustrated Teardrop, in 1/14 scale.

Postby frizzen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:37 am

Gotta have a door on the stuff falls out.

Open!

Scratchbuilt brass hinges, Trim is again all bamboo skewer. The inside trim keeps door from closing too much, and will give the latch a good strike plate.

Let's pose some more stuff. I mean go camping again!

Then somebody sidetracked me into building an old style camp chair. Bamboo, straight pins, and a trash umbrella
"Hey, why haven't you done anything with this for months?"

Interior lights wired up

Wheels have brass bushings over axle, trailing arms are same size bushings, so everything can spin seperate. Springy thing out of a clicky pen. Still prototype phase, need down stops.

Looks about right, maybe a touch tall. Opened the bottom of the hitch coupler ball-end up to 5/32" for a light push fit instead of the hard snap.

I just threw some brass together to make a drawbar on the bus with minimal other mods.

Added some closet doors so they can use the nose storage closet

Entry step on the frame

I've got the amber markers, red markers, and tail lights / dome and porch lights mostly wired up. They'll run off a battery pack in the galley with switches. Galley probably won't be super awesome, because it's ment for RC not just a model so i care more about lights!

Which pretty much brings you up to speed, or atleast 1/14 of speed.
My build log, 1/14 scale

frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DaddyJeep » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:01 am

A grown man playing with toy cars and dolls.... I'm ok with that. :D I really like that Jeep FC motorhome.

Daddyjeep jr.jpg
Daddyjeep jr.jpg (94.05 KiB) Viewed 4546 times

Rock Rod.jpg
Rock Rod.jpg (105.28 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby razorback » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 pm

In the fall of 04, before I knew about this forum, I found the plans from Kuffle Creek for what they call the Comet. It is based on "a trailer for two" from Mechanix Illustrated.
I modified it to be 5 X 10 instead of of 4 X 10. Needless to say I love the profile. You have great skills.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DWT77 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Here are a couple of RC and Teardrops I had found

https://youtu.be/y49iIbRsh7Q

https://youtu.be/q99w6SmmBiE
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Pretty cool. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby frizzen » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Nice tubers! Although your 'doll' is taller than the roll cage. Axial based? I've got an ax-10 old comp from when DIGs were legal, and scx-10 trying to mini-me my jeep. All the local crawlers gave up on the forums and went off to 'myface' to plan events, so they havent been out in a long time

The 'jeep fc' motorhome is actually a 1960s Structo Chevy Greenbriar Rampside Corvair truck motorhome. My dad got it new. It might be fun to go rc with it eventually, but there are a lot of builds ahead in the line.

Thank you very much, i hoped a Tiny Teardrop build would fit in around here. While looking for ideas on here, I'd seen several people mention looking for scale models, or wanting to make a tiny version.

Nice find on the videos, those are cool looking. I'm not planning to subject my tear to nearly that much offroad abuse, it's just a little on-road one with an appropriately under-powered tow vehicle.

Thanks everybody, all feedback is welcome. Especially if it's correcting something that doesn't make sence or work well on real ones.

--

----
This is more like the type of use this one should see.
https://youtu.be/PNspzv7ZRys
https://youtu.be/tUJ1WP-lflU
https://youtu.be/YtjZv70wKqA
My build log, 1/14 scale

frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:57 am

frizzen wrote:Nice tubers! Although your 'doll' is taller than the roll cage. Axial based? I've got an ax-10 old comp from when DIGs were legal, and scx-10 trying to mini-me my jeep. All the local crawlers gave up on the forums and went off to 'myface' to plan events, so they havent been out in a long time

The Jeep is Wraith based and is the mini me of my Jeep. Although the tires are not quite scale the performance is quite close. I built the suspension to be very scale accurate to the 1:1. The Rock Rod started life as a Redcat Everest, but has more Axial parts that Redcat parts now.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby frizzen » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 am

I wanted to have the roof on by now for the next meet at Lebanon IN 'back to the 50s fest' Sept 14-15, but i didnt get the interior pics printed and scaled. I'd rather wait on roof than decorate ship-in-a-bottle style.

Let's save that disappointment some and grab a 2 cell battery holder, 2 switches, 3 resistors so we finally have the lighting work self-contained... uh, i mean it can go boondocking without shore power.

Running lights.

Dome and porch lights.

Mount the door handle with latch. It swings fwd / up to unlatch

No electrical connection to tow vehicle, little more weight over axle, and seems to track a little better

Hope ya like it.

---
Wrong pic size, you need L not H
My build log, 1/14 scale

frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby frizzen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:10 pm

Got to take it out and test it a little more.

My build log, 1/14 scale

frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby frizzen » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Ya know when you make something months ago, then too much life happens to even take pics...

Should atleast be more comfortable now
My build log, 1/14 scale

frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Nice! :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby frizzen » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks.

If i'm going to go out towing this on any more "public roads", i better add in some more safety before the police notice and want to discuss things... (i built an AMC Matador police car somewhere along the way)

A jewlery thing (necklace spacer?), and some chain.

Now there's a magnet on bottom of the hitch drawbar. Snap the hitch together, stick the chains up and adjust slack. If i used 2 smaller weaker magnets i could do the chain cross better.

Be safe out there, and watch your speed
Last edited by frizzen on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My build log, 1/14 scale

frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:38 pm

That's freaking awesome. lol
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby frizzen » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:47 am

I'd forgotten to come over here to say Merry Christmas when i got a production Tiny Trailer.

Had another RC meet in Jan/Feb, got parked next to a Tonka Winnebago. Campground was noisy, lots of trucks and construction going on.

Then i finally got a printer so i 'could probably' stop procrastinating and get some pics on the walls and actually get a roof on here. Yeah, it'd sure be nice if i finally do that... freaking slacker.
My build log, 1/14 scale

frizzen
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Build Journals