off road camper build in WV

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: off road camper build in WV

Postby Noreast » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:54 am

Sweet rig man! I like your build a lot

KCStudly wrote:You really nailed the heights. The belly and roof heights look to match the Cherokee very well. :thumbsup:
and this too! I think this is a oft overlooked detail. I mean, it doesn't really matter much. But it surely looks way sweet when the trailer roof and ground clearance match those on the tow-vehicle.
Noreast
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jonb8 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks Noreast.....
jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:17 pm

One other thing I've noticed camping, I was going to buy a awning and I thought we'd use the drivers side as a hang out area like regular campers. With the Kitchen in the rear, everything happens back there so we just put a easy up back there and that's were we hang out. Also getting in and out when it's raining has been a issue, we put are shoe's in the jeep and wear flip flops to the camper door then just kick them under the teardrop.. I gotta get a better system though..
jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:46 pm

jonb8 wrote:One other thing I've noticed camping, I was going to buy a awning and I thought we'd use the drivers side as a hang out area like regular campers. With the Kitchen in the rear, everything happens back there so we just put a easy up back there and that's were we hang out. Also getting in and out when it's raining has been a issue, we put are shoe's in the jeep and wear flip flops to the camper door then just kick them under the teardrop.. I gotta get a better system though..
  • I have said the same thing, many times, and went to great lengths planning a "perfect" awning system, just to decide that it was just impractical and expensive to do. I finally returned to the system I first used when I started out, using my choice of side tents (based on campsite, weather, ground/pad conditions), and one or (now) two, canopies.
  • Before I ever finished my TTT, I bought an Ezy-Up canopy, and a side tent that was next to it, at Academy Sports. For $49 and $20 ? I think. A no-brainer choice, seeing all the photos on the site with pop-up canopies and side tents. I tested them at home, seeing that I could set them up to use in combination, to form a covered sitting area next to one door, and a covered entry into the floored side tent, at the secondary door. I used that set-up a couple of times, before I had a problem cleaning the side tent enough to pack it up, after it sat in mud for two days. I then bought an instant set-up pop-up teepee tent, as my new side tent/changing room/potty area, which is a snap to pack away (and no clean-up). I set that tent immediately next to my main door, just leaving the secondary door uncovered by the canopy or side tent. Until a leaking door seal there flooded the trailer.
  • Revised plan, first used on my last trip, used a sidewall to protect the secondary door, while the teepee tent sat under the canopy overhang, on the pad, in the sitting area. I had mis-placed the old, floored, side tent, or I could've used it, since the pad was large enough to keep it out of the mud. I also bought a second canopy to use to cover my hatch/cooking area, if needed, but wasn't deployed.
  • That's my new system, depending on conditions, always having a covered sitting & trailer entry area, with choice of tents and sidewall to cover the other door. Total cost = $49 x 2 (canopies) + $20 (floored side tent) + $30 (teepee-style tent) + $15 (canopy sidewall) = $163. Less than one bag awning! I also carry two 8'x10' tarps, but I always do, even if not camping, just for emergencies.
  • I still haven't figured out my boot storage, yet. I usually just take them off while sitting on the doorsill, and stow them in a plastic bag in the trailer, but I bought a small wastebasket for the last trip, but never mounted it out of the way as I planned, so it took up some needed space (4'x8' trailer is cramped). Probably gonna stick to using the bag.
  • canopy offset for sitting area.png
    canopy offset for sitting area.png (634.76 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
    I always place the canopy over the trailer, creating a 4'x8' covered sitting area
  • sidetent open.png
    sidetent open.png (328.53 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
    I prefer the floored tent, if I can keep it clean
  • covered sitting area, pop-up tent under it.png
    covered sitting area, pop-up tent under it.png (393.44 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
    teepee-style is easier to use, better for large pad usage
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jonb8 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Right On, It's been a learning curve for us... Were just going to hang out in the back for now and see what happens.
jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby justlisawv » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Have you camped much? I have officially camped one time thus far. Gauley Bridge, but it was fun.
"Bare Bones" teardrop purchased from Rustic Trails Teardrops.

justlisawv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jonb8 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 am

Yea we've been 10 or 11 times, WV, VA, Maryland, PA,OH and Ky... We were out 5 day's in KY and a week hitting all the other states in this reply in one shot. The rest of the trips were just weekend trips in WV. Love the teardrop so far and the ease of pulling it around..... Hope you get out more...
jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:09 am

I bought an RTT for are Colorado/Moab trip this summer and built a rack and put it on my jeep. I didn't want to take the teardrop in case I had to back up on the tight Colorado shelf roads so I thought this was my best option. I hated it on top of the jeep, it was hard to get the cover on an off so I started a small trailer to put the tent on... Almost done....

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 am

Trailers done for now, still have to do exterior lights and a battery/inverter set up but that can wait... Headed out for a shakedown weekend and see how it does.

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ojgrsoi » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Nice. Is that a 2 door XJ hiding behind the new trailer?
Mark
Weatherford - True Texas

https://youtu.be/BKs6XfgAKKc
ojgrsoi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Yea, a winter project so I got something to beat on next summer... :D
jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:48 am

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaddyJeep » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 am

I like how you did the trailer jacks. I just might have to steal that idea.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby jonb8 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:50 am

Not my idea...LOL I stole it somewhere.... They do work good
jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonb8 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:07 pm

I dropped the tire size down from a 35 to a 32, narrowed the fenders and angled the rear fender extensions... Looks better and easier to get into...

jonb8
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals