The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby Fenlason » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks Kerry... her surgery sounds pretty scary.. but the surgeon was pretty matter of fact about it. It doesn't sound like that big a deal.. Of course anything with the eyes sounds scary to me.

I had a follow up appointment on my neck today. They aren't really sure what's going on. Everything looks good from their point of view.. except for having many of the symptoms back. I was basically told.. sometime the nerves heal.. sometimes they don't. :o

Laurie went with me.. and we ended up taking the day off... and stayed up there. Our friend Asa is the master brewer and part owner of a micro brewery up there. They have just expanded to a new location.. that they are still working on.. we stopped in for a quick visit. [they were in the middle of a canning batch.. and things were pretty hectic. We got there at maybe 11:00 and Asa says.. you want a beer.. :o I didn't really want a beer and an emptyish stomach.. and then have to drive.. but he just wanted us to taste it.. said we could drink what we wanted and then pour it out. :o That just seems wrong.

We then went to look at Rooftop tents.. and stopped at a bike shop. Rose Bike.. the guys came down here to ride our trails a month or so ago..
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby toypusher » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:09 am

Can't believe it has been that long since I posted here! :shock:

Did Laurie already have the surgery? My BIL is having cataract surgery on one eye today and the other one in I thing 5 days from now. Not sure on the timing of that. Anyway hope all is well.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:29 am

Laurie's Surgery is next Tuesday the 11th. She is anxious about it, but also anxious to get it done. Her eyesight is rapidly getting worse. We will be traveling a bit for it, as they want to check it fairly often. It is at least fairly close.. vs Boston or something. It's about an hour and 20 minute drive. She has surgery Tuesday... and they want to see it the next day. [we will stay over night for that].. then back again in a couple days... and back a few more times.
Otherwise I guess things are good here. We have mostly been working in the woods, although we have worked on the house some also.

I have sold some bikes!! A friend John, had commented a couple of times on a photo of one of my old race bikes. I told him it might be available.. then mentioned I had a mate to it. He purchased mine for himself, and was hoping to get his wife into it. She currently has a fatbike, but wanted something different. It paid more than I wanted for the first [I told him that]. He also had mentioned looking for a frame to build up a bike for his son. I gave him a real good price on the second bike.. and through in an older one of Laurie's for his son.

Then a few weeks later he mentioned that a friend of his was looking for such and such a bike.. did we have anything? Well Laurie's last race bike was just the ticket, and we sold that one.

Just recently we got two new ones. :o They are Fatbikes.. but very light fatbikes. They were demos that Dave had.. that were going to be sold off. He has a small, medium, and a large. Angela took the small, Laurie the medium, and I the large. It was basically payment for our work this summer. :D They have a bit of small scratches from being carted around, but otherwise seem to be in pretty good shape. We will now have two of our older fatbikes for sale.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 am

WOW! long time since I posted here. End of season for mowing has been interesting and very consuming. First my co-worker was going to take my place for next season, then he was going to just buy the business out right. Then I got a new part-time co-worker and he ended up buying the mowing ONLY part of the business. So, I did stay on for a week to help him get used to the yards and customers that he will be serving. Now I am off for the winter. Have lots to try to get done before the snow flies though. :thinking:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:50 am

Dang.. I was just about to claim victory and ask for my Thread Killers T shirt... :thinking: :roll: 8)

Good to hear from you.

Things are going here. We are probably doing more trail work.. than other stuff.. but I do also put time in house building.. firewood processing etc.

We have had a ton of appointments [doctors and dentist] Some of it routine.. some not. I had my yearly physical.. and had a routine colonoscopy for that... as well as blood work. My white blood cell count was low.. so I go next week for more blood work to recheck that. Laurie has a lot of appointments around her eyes. Things are doing ok there, although it's a long process. Her next surgery is next week, and we will have 3 trips to Portland for that... and my blood work is next week also. So 4 of the 5 days we will need to be somewhere.

This week we are free.. which is the first in some time I think.

Good luck getting prepped for winter.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:02 pm

Hope Laurie's surgery goes well.

I did get my lawn mowed, but been too busy in the basement going through things and trying to rearrange things. Still need to do trim work and trim hedge and some other decorative bushes. I have 7 large evergreen trees in the back yard and it looks like 2 of them are dying at this point. Not sure though.

Doctor's appointment tomorrow morning at 0730! :frightened:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:25 am

I hope your appointment went well.

I should mow my lawn one last time, and did a little of that this morning. I have someone coming out for a ride shortly. He's a regular but couldn't make last night's ride. There were going to be two.. but the other has had to work extra.

We supposed to have a rainy weekend. We have also had some rainy days this week... which cut into the work we had hoped to do.

I just ordered a new leaf blower. A little while ago, I was thinking I have my trail tool set up.. fairly complete..... but then I stopped by my dealer.. just to pick up oil.. and he tells me about a new bigger blower... He didn't say how big.. so I kind of dismissed it. Then someone else said something.. and I investigated it further. It has a LOT more blowing power, without any appreciable weight increase. I already had 2 blowers. I sold the older smaller one yesterday. I went by the dealer to get my name on the list. They are not available yet, but will be in sometime in the next month or so.

My first blower put out mid 600 CFM of air.. the next.. was 750.. which was quite noticeable [although the reason I purchased it was the comfort.] This new one puts out 1070 CMF It's @#$^@!* Huge. Even the blower tube is massive. They used carbon fibre in the frame to keep the weight down. This should help out a lot with or trail work... speeding things up.

Hmm I have purchased a few things this year. [I don't recall if I have said] A new smaller top handle saw. It looks like a toy... but is great for trail work. I also purchased a new mid sized regular chain saw. I have an old Husqvarana that I replaced. [the oil pump had gone]. Much of the new tools were smaller things. Like a nice shoulder slung lopper sheath. A Mcleod, a Pulaski.. pruning handsaw. chainsaw tongs and hook belts and sheaths for these. A new arrow quiver to use to carry our marking flags. I have rebuild / added specific storage spots on the RTV. We have a fairly nice and efficient set up now.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:42 am

Always nice to have lots of good equipment for the job. What is the model of the new blower?

My old boss has my handheld blower and I need to get it back, plus my final paycheck for season. Rainy here today, but most of tomorrow should be half decent.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:41 am

The new blower is an Echo PB-8010T https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Blowers/PB-8010T

Today is the first day of hunting season.. [residence only today, then everyone Monday] In the past our trail system would be pretty barren.. well that's changing. Lee had mention he would have a few people out.. and there.. and there are a few others that have moved in on the other road. I was going to do trail work along our shared line with Lee [on his side just a little]... and we saw a few hunters just in the little trip out to it... so we headed back to the house. We figured we didn't need to be out there at all... especially on the first day.

We did some clean up on a trail right near the road.. and at the edge of the lawn in places. We are supposed to have rain and snow today.. and so-so tomorrow and Monday.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks for the link. Don't think I would ever need anything that big.

No snow around here yet. Just rain.

Spent an hour or so and made a bench in the garage to sit and change shoes, etc. Have been just sitting on my toolbox out there to change shoes.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Laurie's Surgery is in the morning. Although not as early as the last one. We have to be there at 10 something.. vs 7 something. We are looking forward to getting this done.

We did get a little snow.. but it warmed up [a little] and turned back to rain.. and at least around here the snow melted. We went to a demo event yesterday with Dave. It was small enough he could have handled it himself.. but It was more "fun" with us there.

It was a memorial ride.. about an hour north.. a friend has been trying to get us to go for some time. I might have worked it and done the ride.. but it was cold and rainy. [temps in the upper 30's ] Even with the weather they had around 50 riders. :thumbsup:

We are rainy again today.. well it wasn't bad this morning.. but is raining pretty good now. I had my blood work done this morning.. and did a few errands.. then came home and did some bush hogging.

We are supposed to have a rainy week. We will have to go back for follow ups for Laurie's eye.. Wednesday and Friday.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:17 am

Rainy day here. The closing on my inlaws house is today. Yesterday my BIL moved into our basement. Should be there 2 or 3 weeks while the estate is finally settled and then he is off to Florida with his new truck and fifth wheel. Gonna be kinda weird with someone in the basement, but it is only for a short time.

Hope Laurie is doing good.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:22 am

No rain here today.. but much of the week doesn't sound all that great.

Laurie is doing pretty good. She was able to do some work for work.. here on her computer..at home this morning. That type of work is still pretty tough [as would me expected.] Her next follow up is tomorrow. Her vision has improved a bit since Friday.
I am puttering around here today. I am picking up a bunch of big plastic pipe tomorrow.. and am getting my trailer out. I had some lumber that was stored on it.

The pipe is 8" id.. very think wall. They are installing natuaral gas in the state.. and they use this for their main lines. If any of this sits out in the sun too long.. they can't use it. They have to pay quite a bit to dispose of it, and are happy to get rid of it. It will make great culverts for us. John and Dan delivered some a couple weeks ago.. John, Laurie and I will get a bit more Wednesday. 300-400 feet worth. :twisted:

We had a heavy frost this morning.. but haven't had that many yet.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:41 am

Always good to get free stuff that you can use. :thumbsup:

We have had frost 3 or 4 times already, but Sat night it is to get down to mid 20's. That will be the first actual Freeze for this season.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 am

Laurie's 3rd follow up was yesterday. He had to re-bubble the eye, but overall things looked good, and her vision was surprisingly pretty good. [early for that]

We finally have some sun today... but it's very wet out.. we received a bit more rain yesterday.

We went and picked up some pipe [ culvert] this morning... we got about 370 feet this load. They have more.. and I suspect I will go get it... or at least some of it. Last year at this time they had about the same amount.. and it cost them about $5,000 to dispose of it. They can only keep it so long.. and right now this stuff can't be used, and it's in the way for plowing.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic