Pop-up to vintage standy (real first camp) 6-4-20

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Pop-up to vintage standy (real first camp) 6-4-20

Postby les45 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:51 am

After enjoying camping in my last project for a couple of seasons, it's time to move on to my next project. I previously documented the conversion of an old pop-up to a unique hard wall pop-up as seen in the pictures below. I basically gutted an old Jayco 1006 and eliminated all the canvas and outrigger beds. I replaced the canvas with lightweight portable foamy type hard wall panels and built a queen bed, two person dinette, and small galley cabinet totally inside the shell. My new project will use this pop-up as a base and will convert it to look like a vintage standy. The bottom shell will remain pretty much intact and the old roof will be totally eliminated and a whole new framework constructed above the bottom shell to achieve the vintage look. We will be camping in the pop-up one more time next month and then the project will begin. I plan to remove the old roof and hoisting system and re-work the bottom half in my garage this winter, but the new top end will have to be done outside in the spring (unless I can find a tall space to rent for a while).
More to come when I start the demo in about two weeks.

Front view of my existing pop-up with the hard wall conversion.

Rear view of pop-up.

This is the vintage look that I'm going for. I found this image in an online search.

This is a rough scale drawing of what mine will look like.

Stay tuned.
Last edited by les45 on Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:56 am, edited 37 times in total.
les45
500 Club

Re: New project -convert pop-up to vintage standy

Postby prohandyman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:33 pm

I did several pop ups to standees with a vintage flair! Fun projects!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby M C Toyer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:54 pm

les45 wrote:After enjoying camping in my last project for a couple of seasons, it's time to move on to my next project. Stay tuned.

Les - I followed your build and all the intricate details and challenges. I had considered doing something similar. Any particular reason for scrapping the upper rather than selling the whole trailer as is and starting your new project with another used pop-up?

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby les45 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:15 am

M C Toyer wrote:
Les - I followed your build and all the intricate details and challenges. I had considered doing something similar. Any particular reason for scrapping the upper rather than selling the whole trailer as is and starting your new project with another used pop-up?

M C

I thought about that but decided that I had too much in the old shell to start over. The old shell is exactly the way I would want it in the new project with the trailer frame totally cleaned and painted, new Dexter axle, and all new AC and DC electrical systems including the running lights. Also I can salvage the Fantastic Fan and the inside lights and possibly some of the sheet metal and trim from the old roof.
les45
500 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am

les- really looking forward to the standie conversion-I followed your first build of this trailer and thought it came out great.

ProHandy-Do you have any build threads here on your pop up to vintage conversions? They really look sweet.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby steve cowan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:48 am

That looks like a Jet travel trailer.Here is another pic.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:27 am

steve cowan wrote:Image

That looks like a Jet travel trailer.Here is another pic.

Yes, I found after some research that the one in my pic is a 1966 Jet. It differs slightly from the one in your pic with a more squared off roof line at the rear.
les45
500 Club

Postby prohandyman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:35 am

Mr Lahey
Look on page 9 of this heading Build Journals for “ the SunshineInn” for my build on the yellow and polished aluminum camper. I think page 8 has my build “a SlumberCoach facsimile “!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mr. Lahey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Pro-Thanks for the links-great info

Les- Looking forward to your updates on this build
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby les45 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:17 am

I've posted this question in the Construction Tips section in more detail but has anyone built a tall trailer in their garage by removing the wheels and dropping it on car dollies in order to get it in and out the garage door?
les45
500 Club

Postby lincolnlerner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Several people have. You can even build the "box" then add the chassis. Most garage doors give you seven feet. Is that enough for a standy? Or you could roll it on its side and 7 by 16....
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby les45 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:07 pm

lincolnlerner wrote:Several people have. You can even build the "box" then add the chassis. Most garage doors give you seven feet. Is that enough for a standy? Or you could roll it on its side and 7 by 16....

The pop-up lower shell is so integrated with the frame that it would be very difficult to separate and it is simply too big to turn on its side. I'm shooting for an 82" height clearance so I would need to drop my frame about 6" onto cribbing or dollies (looks like wheel removal would allow this with a couple of inches to spare). I'm just trying to figure out whether to drop it on cribbing and then lift it onto the dollies or just leave it on dollies during construction so I can move it around inside the garage.
les45
500 Club

Postby kykate » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:14 pm

Les,
Very much looking forward to your build!
Kate :applause:
kykate
Donating Member

Re: Convert pop-up to vintage standy (demo begins)

Postby les45 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Started tearing down the top today. I'm salvaging the Fantastic Fan and a lot of hardware and stainless screws and bolts as I take it down. I'm hoping the metal skins will come off easy so I can re-use the 3/4" plywood roof deck material possibly for the drop floor. I plan to leave the trailer up on blocks while I build the drop floor and disassemble the nine portable wall panels to salvage some of the wood and insulation. Also have to remove all the camping gear, dinette, and galley cabinet from inside. The folding top door section will also come out and I hope to be able to cut 6" off its height and re-use it.

stay tuned..............................
les45
500 Club

Re: Convert pop-up to vintage standy (demo begins)

Postby Nodrog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:31 am

Hey Les- This is very interesting! About moving the trailer, somebody ( I think Woodbutcher) made little plywood discswith holes for lug nuts just larger than the hubs to roll his standy out of the garage. Cheap and easy! I think you'll like having a standy, ours is just about done and has lots of conveniences and room for a small trailer...will be nice. Don't know if we'll take it out this winter, but maybe? Yours is a good size to be pretty nice too, will be an interesting build! Good luck! Nodrog
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals