Northwestern Build - Updated 7/4/2010 - Done!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:39 am

Bill,

That's quite a trip! I really like the picture with beautiful scenery and your TV and TTT.

Are you coming to Loyd Park in September? (I'm scrambling to be at least campable by then.)

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby wlivesey » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:42 am

aggie79 wrote:Bill,

That's quite a trip! I really like the picture with beautiful scenery and your TV and TTT.

Are you coming to Loyd Park in September? (I'm scrambling to be at least campable by then.)

Tom

Yes it was. We did a little white water rafting, day hiking and exploring the mountains in our 4x4. It was a blast.

To be honest, I have thought that far ahead but I'm sure we can make it since it's local. Keep after it, I'm sure you can get campable by then.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby ohbugger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Very cool! I am quite impressed with all the work and problems you had to solve for the hatch. Adding moving parts makes things so much more complicated! But the end result is great!

Also, I really appreciate your sketchup interior floorplans. The trailer I am building has a very similar size and I have been struggling with how to lay out the inside. I was thinking of a 6' long dinette / bed. But now I have your half bed / half dinette as another idea. Thanks!
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:44 pm

The half bed/half diskette has worked out really well. If I were to do it over again, I would have made the storage area under the front of the bed accessible from the outside. It can be a bit of a pain getting under there sometimes. I would also make the bed frame a little bit higher so the the outside access door would be tall enough to fit things through.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Re: Northwestern Build-Done!-Post build, over-view, autopsy

Postby PcHistorian » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Fantastic! Whoa, Very nice.

Time for the post build, over-view, autopsy questions...

I was thinking of doing a DIY spray foam job for a future trailer... BUT it would be a light framework, covered in chicken wire, and spray foamed, then smoothed using the auto body work planer / files. A total free form job. I think my biggest problem besides the angle of spray required to get the foam coagulating on the chicken wire, would be to attach the cabinets to a framework on the inside.

I should start a whole new topic, I know, but from your page 13 here of the spray on foam and while the topic is somewhat fresh in your mind as the first hand observer... Could the DIY kit be handled by a competent, if inexperienced with foam amateur, for this purpose, in your opinion?
:thinking:
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Re: Northwestern Build - Updated 7/4/2010 - Done!

Postby wlivesey » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:19 am

I felt compelled to make an update for some reason after our latest weekend camping trip. It’s been just over 7 years since I declared the Northwestern “done” and she’s still on the road and still making memories with no signs of stopping. I’m pleased to report that we’ve had zero issues with any part of the camper. I wish the mattress was thicker but I’m 7 years older too so maybe that makes sense... I’ll admit, I do look back and wonder how the heck I made this thing happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi Bill!

It's good to hear from you. I'm glad to hear that your camper is doing well. From the pictures of your build, it was evident the quality and thought you put into it.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby wlivesey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:33 pm

I can’t believe I’m posting this, or that the thought has even entered my mind. A decade after starting the build of the Northwestern Winter Warrior, I’m considering offering it for sale. My family has grown and outgrown this big little camper. It’s still in fantastic condition and to date hasn’t really needed any repairs. It’s a beast and is truly amazing.

Now for the big question.... What the heck is such a one of a kind camper actually worth? Take a look through this build thread to see exactly what it is and how insanely tough this little camper is built.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Bill,

I wish I had an idea of what sales value to place on your camper. Your design and execution were top notch. That said, it will probably be hard to capture your labor and material costs unless you find that special buyer. My guesstimate is that a market price of $5,000 to $6,000 is probably in the ballpark.

We're going through a similar mental exercise right now. Our family is not growing, but we have grown older, and are looking for a travel trailer with bath, shower, indoor kitchen, etc., for longer trips. We don't necessarily want to sell our teardrop, but we don't have room for two trailers, and I don't want to pay to store them.

You built a wonderful camper, and I think it will be interesting to many people.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby wlivesey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks Tom. I really don’t want to let it go but I don’t have room for two trailers either.

Best of luck in your decision...

wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:36 am

What a build you've done! I just read through it.

I have to say you'll probably sell around $5-6K, I see those TAB's that old asking $6K. Man, I'd ask $7-8K. This is a TAB on steroids!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ricky herbold » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 am

wlivesey wrote:We installed plywood on the hatch sides, shore side, and rear of the Northwestern. Not as much as we would have liked but it's coming along. I've got to get my hands on some 5x plywood before we can finish. I'll post some more progress pictures in the next couple of days.

I made a simple router guide to cut out the wheel wells. It attaches to the bottom of the router on one end, slips over the axle on the other end, and cuts a 15 inch radius. I might decide to enlarge the wheel well later on if there isn't enough clearance for big bumps. At some point I'm also going to make fender flares to cover the half of the tire that's sticking out the side so a larger wheel well opening wouldn't be visible then anyway.

That was a great idea.

ricky herbold
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:06 pm

RJ Howell wrote:What a build you've done! I just read through it.

I have to say you'll probably sell around $5-6K, I see those TAB's that old asking $6K. Man, I'd ask $7-8K. This is a TAB on steroids!

Thank you! I have no doubt this trailer will be around long after I am. It’s one stout little dude.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals