Canned Ham Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Canned Ham Build

Postby kykate » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Jimbo, that is great! I bet the axle-less suspension turns out to be worthwhile. We planned it for our build, but not this trailer - the guys building it are using a traditional axle and suspension.
Thanks for the links.
Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Postby kykate » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Finally, some new pictures! I was having trailer withdrawal :lol:

IMG_2691.jpg
IMG_2691.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

Curbside wall and rear wall. Large cutout in the back is where the kitchen box will slide out. 26 gallon fresh water tank under the future bed frame. 2000 watt inverter in the back storage box. The lithium batteries will be there, too.

IMG_2692.jpg
IMG_2692.jpg (97.87 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

My first glimpse of the front wall. The window lying on the floor will be the front window.

IMG_2693.jpg
IMG_2693.jpg (85.16 KiB) Viewed 2876 times

Framework for the front wall.
kykate
Donating Member

Postby greenchicken » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi,

I am just about to order the same Northern Tool trailers and someone pointed out it has a max speed of 45 mph.

It that something TD Builder just ignore?
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ssuuki19 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks for the pictures! The framing layout is something I'm taking note of as well and the inside out construction method. Interesting how the shop used that jig and c-clamp steps to bend the aluminum framing for the roofline. Looking forward to watching this build progress.

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Postby kykate » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:51 pm

greenchicken wrote:Hi,

I am just about to order the same Northern Tool trailers and someone pointed out it has a max speed of 45 mph.

It that something TD Builder just ignore?

This is not a Northern Tool trailer - it was built right there in the shop.
Kate

Edit - oops, I see you are not talking about my trailer. Sorry.
Last edited by kykate on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kykate
Donating Member

Postby kykate » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:28 pm

The day before Thanksgiving we made the 4+ hour trip to Eugene, OR, to visit our TTT to be. My hope and wish is that we will be able to tow it home on Christmas Eve. We shall see.

Front Outside.jpg
Front Outside.jpg (130.63 KiB) Viewed 2714 times

The flash has a way of showing every bit of dust.

Outside Shower.jpg
Outside Shower.jpg (110.87 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
Attachments
Front inside.jpeg
Front inside.jpeg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
Last edited by kykate on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kykate
Donating Member

Postby kykate » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:02 pm

ssuuki19 wrote:Thanks for the pictures! The framing layout is something I'm taking note of as well and the inside out construction method. Interesting how the shop used that jig and c-clamp steps to bend the aluminum framing for the roofline. Looking forward to watching this build progress.

Ssuuki, yes, I was amazed by their technique. It does seem to be effective, as the build is going along very well. :applause:
They are basically designing it as they buil, as this is the first trailer this size they have made. They specialize in tear drops.
Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Postby kykate » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:29 pm

I am told that I won’t be receiving any more build pictures until we pick up the trailer - the guys want to surprise me :o
It went to the paint shop last Wednesday, so I know the skin is all on. Right now we are scheduled to drive down on December 27. :thumbsup: Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Good thing it got slightly delayed, as the rebuild on our tow vehicle is not going according to plan, either. The rebuilt brake caliper we bought earlier this week turned out to be damaged and the new one won’t be here until the 26 or 27. Argh!!

Merry Christmas if you celebrate it, and a fun filled 2019 to all! :beer:

Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Postby hossesdad » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:55 am

Kate, a very nice design and those people look to be doing a great job of executing it. Look forward to your pictures of the finished trailer....which I and others will rob for ideas!
hossesdad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kykate » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:02 pm

To no one's surprise, the build is taking longer than expected :roll: The trailer came back from the paint shop on Saturday, then came the long holiday weekend. A well deserved break for the crew, but... SIGH. Anyway, I am to call the shop Friday evening and see what time Saturday (12/29/18) we can pick it up. Did I mention that we have reservations to camp the evening of the 29th? Luckily, the campground, Silver Falls State Park, is 2/3 of the way to the trailer shop in Eugene, so we can possibly still make the campout on time.
I did manage to wrangle a couple of photographs from the guys - the palm tree material is the curtains, the striped cushions are the backs and the more solid green is on the seat cushions, for the dining benches.

Side copy.jpg
Side copy.jpg (71.4 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

All 3.jpg
All 3.jpg (236.83 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

We chose Sunbrella fabric for the cushions - I hope it holds up and cleans up as well as I have heard.

Kate
Last edited by kykate on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kykate
Donating Member

Postby kykate » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:04 pm

hossesdad wrote:Kate, a very nice design and those people look to be doing a great job of executing it. Look forward to your pictures of the finished trailer....which I and others will rob for ideas!

Thank you! I was hoping I would still have something to contribute to the community, even if we are not doing the build ourselves :D

Hope to have photos Saturday, but may not have internet until New Year's Day.

Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Postby kykate » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:56 am

We made it to Eugene, to pick up the trailer, on Saturday afternoon. But... it wasn't ready. :cry: However, hubby, grandson #2 and I did sleep in it that night, in the shop. So, our 4 day camping trip began, just not quite how we had planned it. Sunday afternoon I wrote the largest $$ check I have ever written, and that night we finally got it hitched up and left the shop, about 7 PM. This would be the maiden voyage/shakedown cruise for the trailer as well as the tow vehicle, a 1997 Mitsubishi Montero. Various complications and much uncertainty occurred, but they didn't slow us down too much. We got to Silver Falls State Park (Oregon) a bit after 9PM. The rest of our family was staying there in a cabin, so they got the first tour. As we prepared for bed we noticed how cold it was, and turned on the heat pump - aiming for 68 degrees inside. Nope, not going to happen. I was thinking it could be operator error (the controller panel has a LOT of combinations and choices). So, we just crawled under the down comforter, and flannel sheets, and slept for 10 hours. Very comfy mattress! Morning brought frost outside, and the obvious conclusion that it wasn't me, the darn thing really was not putting out heat - ran it for 2 hours, door closed, and the inside temperature dropped from 40 to 38! :thumbdown:
The family hiked all afternoon and I kept a fire going and unpacked and organized our camping supplies. There is an amazing amount of storage in this tiny trailer! I was in contact with our builders, and they agreed to come to the park and tow the trailer back, on Tuesday morning. So, we are home and our trailer isn't. There were about a dozen small problems and irritants we discovered, and those will all be taken care of while they wait for the replacement heat pump to come in.
A couple of photos of the exterior. I am off to sleep. :)

IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1974.JPG (168.98 KiB) Viewed 2503 times

IMG_2053.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG (380.81 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
kykate
Donating Member

Postby redbicycle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:46 am

Bummer on the heat pump. It should be a minor repair replace now that it is back at the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:30 am

It's a beautiful canned ham!

If you've watched any of the car build television shows, there is always a "crisis" that pops up at some time. That is probably a reality for a custom, "one-off" build, similar to your situation.

It sounds like they will correct the deficiencies, and then you will be able to camp happily.

Please post pics of the interior when you get your canned ham back from the fabricator.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby kykate » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:58 pm

A couple of inside pictures:

bed frame.jpg
bed frame.jpg (180.23 KiB) Viewed 2446 times

For ventilation purposes I did not want the mattress flat on a solid surface, so the guys designed and built these slat pieces, from Alaskan Cedar. The center hinges open to access the water tank and storage. The hatch at the back will have mosquito netting attached, to give us views and air, in the warmer weather. There are LED lights at each of the 4 corners, but for now this little cabinet is at the foot of the bed.

Curbside bench.jpg
Curbside bench.jpg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 2446 times

The bench is only about 24 inches long - perfect for one person on each side. The heat pump is under the seat
kykate
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals