The Geek's Lair

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Geek's Lair

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:45 am

redbicycle wrote:
GeekFisher wrote:I also found an epoxy supplier in the area so I'll be able to glass floor, side and roof. I was also wondering which type of asphalt coating should I use for the undercarriage ?
Fibrous roof coating or non-fibrous roof coating or non-fibrous foundation coating ? I feel like fibrous would hardened the wood a little bit and since I'm using thin stuff this is appealing. Any thought about that ?

Since you are already buying epoxy for other uses why not use epoxy on the floor. Using roof coating instead is fine, but you are buying more materials and you will have waste in the leftover from whatever size you buy (gallon?) vs what you need. With the epoxy you are using the same material across many part's of the build. This is the path I decided to take. Good luck!

True. It's often worth paying a little more to avoid the hassle of multiple materials.

If you really wanted a belt-and-suspenders approach, you could, so long as the materials were chemically compatible, apply an elastomeric roof coating atop epoxy. That will both protect the epoxy from the elements (humidity, UV) and make it more chip- and stone-resistant. Bombproof, basically.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

The Geek's Lair

Postby redbicycle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 am

I used the same paint for my walls to paint the epoxy under my floor. I have nice white paint under my trailer protecting the epoxy in case I drive on a road of mirrors and UV reflects on it. :)

It was a case of using the same materials where appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:08 am

redbicycle wrote:I used the same paint for my walls to paint the epoxy under my floor. I have nice white paint under my trailer protecting the epoxy in case I drive on a road of mirrors and UV reflects on it. :)

It was a case of using the same materials where appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:32 pm

I finally set on the fiberized asphalt coating, money talked... I guess I'll use most of the gallon anyway. Is there any benefits of using the elastomeric stuff UNDER the aluminum on the roof, as far as heating/cooling goes ? I will pick up wood tomorrow, for the undercarriage and floor framing and likely, the walls (as the lumber selling 5x5 is in Montreal which is 1h30 from my place)

I will also pick-up foam insulation (Foamular C-300) which has 30 pounds per square inch of compression resistance and R7.5 value. I'm also supposed to get my axle assy and coupler/plate this week so I'll be able to progress on the steel frame as well !

I will also stop by the electronic store to buy wires and 12v/USB chargers and maybe a fuse panel.

Any guys here around using a Raspberry Pi in their TD ?
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:48 am

I also somewhat modified the floor framing from:
to:

It adds a little bit of trailer frame support in the bed area and make sure the seams of the floor is dead center and 90% hidden under the matress ;)
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:56 am

Got some problems that needed urgent fixing on the tow vehicle so I got a little delayed.

Here is what I did so far :)
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:53 am

Some more progress yesterday night !
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:52 am

Was finally able to put on a coat of roof sealant. It will likely need some more attention to the screw holes and the edge but I think so far so good !

Do we typically put two coats ?
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:47 am

GeekFisher wrote:Do we typically put two coats ?

Not necessary but recommended. Helps prevent hairline cracking.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:
GeekFisher wrote:Do we typically put two coats ?

Not necessary but recommended. Helps prevent hairline cracking.

Noted.
It's been 24 hours and it is far from being dry, this thing seems to take forever to set and cure ! On a positive note I got my axle/springs/shackles today and 1/8th ply for exterior walls.

Slowly but surely...
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:22 am

A fan on to move the air can really help with dry times. Not directly blowing on it just to keep the air moving.

Great to see progress.

I hit another setback with a neck/shoulder injury, was really trying to get things far enough where we could camp New Years eve. But that is not going to happen. But I will update by build thread.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:42 am

KTM_Guy wrote:A fan on to move the air can really help with dry times. Not directly blowing on it just to keep the air moving.

Great to see progress.

I hit another setback with a neck/shoulder injury, was really trying to get things far enough where we could camp New Years eve. But that is not going to happen. But I will update by build thread.

Todd

Hope you get better soon :(

we have a lot of snow here so no camping for a few months. I hope to make progress during x-mas Holiday but that drying Time kinda prevent me of any more progress. I Will set a fan so air is moving.

Thanks,
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:05 pm

GeekFisher wrote:Was finally able to put on a coat of roof sealant. It will likely need some more attention to the screw holes and the edge but I think so far so good !

history tells me the edges need as much and more attention than the flat surfaces

the edges of plywood is where the greatest water intrusion occurs

and water intrusion is pywood's Achilles' Heel

several coats and then some

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 pm

swoody126 wrote:
GeekFisher wrote:Was finally able to put on a coat of roof sealant. It will likely need some more attention to the screw holes and the edge but I think so far so good !

history tells me the edges need as much and more attention than the flat surfaces

the edges of plywood is where the greatest water intrusion occurs

and water intrusion is pywood's Achilles' Heel

several coats and then some

sw

I emptied my gallon so I'll need to buy more for the edges. Next time I Will bite the bullet and go with époxy.
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Nice progress, man. Looking good! I haven't read back through your full thread, but did you decide to change over to the skeleton method for your walls, or stick-buid them up?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals