The Geek's Lair

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Geek's Lair

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:08 pm

FM82 wrote:Nice progress, man. Looking good! I haven't read back through your full thread, but did you decide to change over to the skeleton method for your walls, or stick-buid them up?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes stick build with 2x2s with 1.5" foam insulation this should give me R7.5 which is not bad imho.
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Oh okay. Out of curiosity, what made you choose that method over the other?

I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:27 pm

FM82 wrote:Oh okay. Out of curiosity, what made you choose that method over the other?

We usually tend to stick to methods we know ;) that plus the fact I want 1.5" of insulation so I would have to glue 2x3/4 plywood together to achieve that. Also, I am planning roof rack for kayaks and maybe a RTT eventually. Finally, I Do not have a router and didn't feel my jig or Circular saw skill were sufficients :frightened:
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:41 pm

GeekFisher wrote:We usually tend to stick to methods we know ;)

I know what you mean. I tend to do that often.
GeekFisher wrote:that plus the fact I want 1.5" of insulation so I would have to glue 2x3/4 plywood together to achieve that.
You could do 1 layer inside your skeleton cutouts, then do large pieces to fill voids between furring strips for your interior paneling attachment points. The furring strips are super light, and 1/32 off from 3/4. Just a thought, but I'm one to feel more secure with the rigidity of the skeleton idea over my terrible carpentry skills.
GeekFisher wrote:Finally, I Do not have a router and didn't feel my jig or Circular saw skill were sufficients :frightened:
Haha. I understand. The beauty of it though is nobody will ever see the holes. Slap some skinning over it and hide those types of unsightly things.

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:05 pm

FM82 wrote:
GeekFisher wrote:We usually tend to stick to methods we know ;)

I know what you mean. I tend to do that often.
GeekFisher wrote:that plus the fact I want 1.5" of insulation so I would have to glue 2x3/4 plywood together to achieve that.
You could do 1 layer inside your skeleton cutouts, then do large pieces to fill voids between furring strips for your interior paneling attachment points. The furring strips are super light, and 1/32 off from 3/4. Just a thought, but I'm one to feel more secure with the rigidity of the skeleton idea over my terrible carpentry skills.
GeekFisher wrote:Finally, I Do not have a router and didn't feel my jig or Circular saw skill were sufficients :frightened:
Haha. I understand. The beauty of it though is nobody will ever see the holes. Slap some skinning over it and hide those types of unsightly things.

Not square cuts would make it a pita to Cut insulation to fit. I already had loooots of fun insulating the floor and I'm affraid o might need some ajustements since foam is prouding from the 2x2 in some areas. I hope putting the Floor on with Weight Will Solve that Little issue.
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FM82 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:10 pm

It will make one heck of a mess, but you can always block sand your foam down to get it where you need it. Calling it a mess is putting lightly though, I believe haha, but hey it works in a pinch.

FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:25 pm

FM82 wrote:It will make one heck of a mess, but you can always block sand your foam down to get it where you need it. Calling it a mess is putting lightly though, I believe haha, but hey it works in a pinch.

What would make a mess ?

EDIT: Got it!
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:08 pm

What are your thoughts on the galley door or doors as that is the one I always come back to in my mind ?
Also building something similar but sure cant draw using Sketckup or Tinkercad, looks good as does your frame :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:53 pm

twisted lines wrote:What are your thoughts on the galley door or doors as that is the one I always come back to in my mind ?
Also building something similar but sure cant draw using Sketckup or Tinkercad, looks good as does your frame :thumbsup:

I will likely have to build them as prices are ridiculously prohibitive in Canada. My side doors will have windows and screens. Galley door is a challenge so far as I can't find an hurricane hinge in Canada, especially one that is long enough, they usually have 72in, I'd need at least 74 if I want it to overlap.
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:26 pm

My thought is to swing to the drivers side, guessing by the length hinge, your plan is up?
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:59 pm

twisted lines wrote:My thought is to swing to the drivers side, guessing by the length hinge, your plan is up?

Likely up depending on frame height with wheels on. If I fit under it, will be Up, otherwise split doors. I'm 5'8" so I will probably fit under it anyway ;)
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:52 am

Put a second coat of the black smelly Stuff yesterday night. I also put a thick coat on the edges. Will start the sidewalls soon as I'm pretty much stuck as I need the floor to dry and the frame to be completed before being able to Bolt the floor on and finishing inside floor and screwing/glueing walls.
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Started the first side wall today. I was slow but all went pretty well in the end. Will likely keep on that tomorrow or Wednesday.
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Made some progress on both the frame and the walls.

We should stage the height with borrowed wheels tomorrow so I can order fenders and rear jacks
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:29 pm

GeekFisher wrote:Made some progress on both the frame and the walls.

We should stage the height with borrowed wheels tomorrow so I can order fenders and rear jacks

Looks great! Be sure to leave minimum three inches of space between the tire and the fender. More (up to six inches) is better.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals