First time builders - building a "woodie"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First time builders - building a "woodie"

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:51 am

Here are some pictures of what we have so far! Not much, but a start! Thank you all for the input, I'm definitely going to check out all of those build journals you mentioned. You've all given me a lot to think about, and I'll keep you updated with decisions we make. My wall thickness keeps changing as I keep changing my mind on materials.

Also I've noticed on most builds, the floor spars all go along the bars on the trailer (the opposite of what I have drawn here). I couldn't understand why it would be better that way, but if someone can tell me then I would change our floor to have the spars running the other way. The way I have it right now is they are lined up with the holes in the trailer that they would be drilled into.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Re: First time builders - building a

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:11 pm

I couldn't have said it any better than Michael aka Atomic77.

Another suggestion: Buy a couple of sheets of 1/4" ply and make a full-sized pattern. You can draw in your doors, bulkheads and structural members. You can join the two pieces to 9' length ––or whatever length your cabin is going to be-- by gluing on two strips of fiberglass sheetrock tape and TB2 glue.

You'll be amazed at how handy this will be both as a reference and a pattern for routing.

I would also suggest using 3/4" plywood for your internal structure instead of boards. It'll save you at least a couple of days of joinery. I've done it both ways and won't go the board route again.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:13 pm

This is the build journal that has inspired me to do a PMF roof:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

It will save us a lot of money and I feel the results will look great.

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:27 pm

tony.latham wrote:I couldn't have said it any better than Michael aka Atomic77.

Another suggestion: Buy a couple of sheets of 1/4" ply and make a full-sized pattern. You can draw in your doors, bulkheads and structural members. You can join the two pieces to 9' length ––or whatever length your cabin is going to be-- by gluing on two strips of fiberglass sheetrock tape and TB2 glue.

You'll be amazed at how handy this will be both as a reference and a pattern for routing.

I would also suggest using 3/4" plywood for your internal structure instead of boards. It'll save you at least a couple of days of joinery. I've done it both ways and won't go the board route again.

Tony
Hi Tony! We do have 2 sheets of 1/4 ply coming to build our template out of just like you suggested. Thanks for the great idea of drawing out our door and everything else on it - that will be very helpful! We are going to stick with the boards interior because I'm obsessed with how it looks but I know you're right, it will be a lot of work. Willing to put in that work though!

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Have a look at this woody. This is the design I based my build off. We really liked the shape of this teardrop. Are build is a little bigger. But great info on this website and it is a woody. Just know woodys are a ton of yearly maintance. Do you have room to store inside? Watch your hight with the roof fan (must have) that it can get in and out of your garage. More of a problem with off-road trailers. If you are going to use just varnish don’t go to the big box store or your dads lumber yard and buy a spar varnish. Look what the boat builders and yacht owners are using. I like Epifane it’s expensive buy it works and holds up better than anything else I tried.

[url].http://teardropbuilder.com/build-journa ... s#comments[/url]

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm curious... if you are doing the boards inside, how thick will your walls be all said and done? And whatever that thickness is, what doors and windows do you have in mind to fit that thickness?

Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:36 pm

Atomic77 wrote:I'm curious... if you are doing the boards inside, how thick will your walls be all said and done? And whatever that thickness is, what doors and windows do you have in mind to fit that thickness?

Hi! Our interior wall will be 5/16" pine, 3/4" foam, and we are still thinking on our exterior right now. Originally I thought to use the same pine outside as we used inside, but we may be switching that to cedar. So that is 1 1/16 plus whatever we put on the outside. With the 5/16 pine on outside too we are at 1 3/8"

We are going to be building our own doors. We are still looking for windows. Been checking salvage yards in the area, otherwise we have been looking at windows on https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com

I'm realizing we really need to be conscious that our walls are a compatible thickness with the windows, so we need to pick out our windows ASAP!

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby clamlamp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:02 pm

tony.latham wrote:I couldn't have said it any better than Michael aka Atomic77.

Tony
Tony is a great resource, he helped walk me through my build.

I have 3/4" core with 1/4" play on outside skin and 1/8" ply on inside skin.

Weight builds up fast. I thought my build would be 1000# but ended up being 1450#.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Here is my build journal if you want to see how I did PMF.

Benroy for my baby

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:53 pm

clamlamp wrote:Here is my build journal if you want to see how I did PMF.

Benroy for my baby

Wow thank you so much for sharing! It looks absolutely beautiful! And I've just been reading through your build journal - it's going to be so helpful for us thank you!

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Atomic77 wrote:I'm curious... if you are doing the boards inside, how thick will your walls be all said and done? And whatever that thickness is, what doors and windows do you have in mind to fit that thickness?

Hi Atomic,

I'm wanting to use the following windows from https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/pricing.html

Our ceiling thickness will be 1 3/16"
Our original wall idea was 1 3/8", but I think it may end up thicker depending on some decisions we have to make on the exterior wall.

We always wanted to have a stargazer window and a roof vent fan on top, but after looking through clamlamp's build journal we decided to add another horizontal window with a screen to the front as well. We're going to discuss it a little more, but this is what we're thinking right now.

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nicoleandkyle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:Have a look at this woody. This is the design I based my build off. We really liked the shape of this teardrop. Are build is a little bigger. But great info on this website and it is a woody. Just know woodys are a ton of yearly maintance. Do you have room to store inside? Watch your hight with the roof fan (must have) that it can get in and out of your garage. More of a problem with off-road trailers. If you are going to use just varnish don’t go to the big box store or your dads lumber yard and buy a spar varnish. Look what the boat builders and yacht owners are using. I like Epifane it’s expensive buy it works and holds up better than anything else I tried.

[url].http://teardropbuilder.com/build-journa ... s#comments[/url]

Todd
Hi Todd! Thanks for the input, but I'm having troubles following that link. I'm getting 404. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, as I'd love to see it!

Thanks,
Nicole

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:52 pm

Not sure why the link doesn't work for you, How about this one?

http://teardropbuilder.com/plans-design-documents/wyoming-woody-teardrop-plans

Or try Googling - Wyoming Woody Teardrop

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby nicoleandkyle » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:30 am

KTM_Guy wrote:Not sure why the link doesn't work for you, How about this one?

http://teardropbuilder.com/plans-design-documents/wyoming-woody-teardrop-plans

Or try Googling - Wyoming Woody Teardrop

Todd
Thanks Todd, it is working for me now! That's a great set of detailed plans too, I can definitely see using some of this as reference for ours.

Nicole

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jbell.louisburg » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:47 pm

I'll put in a 'minority' vote here -- I happen to love my solid walls.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69699
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals