Howdy

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Howdy

Postby Zzyzx » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi everyone!

I am a Southern California native and I live in San Diego. I enjoy both backpacking and car camping.
I am retired and looking to increase my time spent camping. Ideally, I would like to spend about 50% of each year travelling and camping. Currently, I am a tent camper and most of the time that works out fine. The downsides to tent camping are the time it takes to pitch and take down the tent and the noise when the wind decides to howl. I would really enjoy the convenience of being able to pull off somewhere, climb into my trailer to relax and sleep, and then just pop up and start driving again in the morning with minimal hassle. I am just in the beginning stages of planning the trailer I would like to build. I am planning for a very lightweight and simple to construct design. I am FAR more interested in functionality over aesthetic considerations. For now, I would be towing it with my Honda CRV so it really needs to be light. I am currently leaning towards building a Foamie. I plan to use 2" XPS foam sheets. I actually want it to be able to perform dual use as both a travel trailer and a utility trailer. 95% of the time I would have it configured as a travel trailer but I would very much like to be able haul 4x8' sheets of plywood and other materials with it when necessary. I am currently thinking I will build a removable platform bed that provides storage underneath. The trailer will probably end up being a rectangular box (possibly with shaved/eased corners) for ease of construction. There will be no galley but I am thinking it will have a large lifting hatch/door on the back. Probably 3/4" plywood for the floor/deck. I am looking at the Northern Tool 5x8' aluminum utility trailer kit as a possible starting point. Yes, I have been lurking for a while, and trying to gather as much info and advice as possible. The only items I currently plan to have permanently installed in the interior are windows, lighting, ceiling vent/fan. I plan to mount a solar panel on the roof and I will build a "solar generator" (stupid name) box to hold the charge controller and a 100AH Lithium Phosphate house battery. It will be used just for running the LED lighting, the ceiling fan, and recharging phones and tablets. In the future, I may want to include a 12v fridge if I have room. I may also build in some overhead storage along the sides/front if I can figure out how to do it using foam construction.

Anyways, that is enough of my ramblings. Thanks for including me in your forums and thanks for all the great info I have gleaned from your many pages.

Chuck
Zzyzx
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Howdy

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Welcome aboard.

For a foamie, you might want to watch the video links in this thread. George does a good job showing how he built a light 4x8 for overlanding.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=70917
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby redbicycle » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:48 am

The northern tool aluminum trailer does not come with highway speed rated wheels. You may need to consider if that needs to be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby friz » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:11 am

redbicycle wrote:The northern tool aluminum trailer does not come with highway speed rated wheels. You may need to consider if that needs to be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine did 80 just fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Zzyzx » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Thanks Sparksalot. I have been viewing George's videos carefully to get ideas and a better understanding of foamie construction.

RedBicycle, I am considering getting larger wheels+tires to give me a bit more clearance anyways. I may even go with an axleless installation. I don't intend to do any hard core off roading but I definitely do plan on traversing a large number of, sometimes rough, dirt roads. In the desert, getting stuck in the sand is the big thing you have to watch out for. Maybe getting a bit wider tires would help the trailer "float" a bit better.
Zzyzx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:06 am

Zzyzx wrote:Thanks Sparksalot. I have been viewing George's videos carefully to get ideas and a better understanding of foamie construction.

RedBicycle, I am considering getting larger wheels+tires to give me a bit more clearance anyways. I may even go with an axleless installation. I don't intend to do any hard core off roading but I definitely do plan on traversing a large number of, sometimes rough, dirt roads. In the desert, getting stuck in the sand is the big thing you have to watch out for. Maybe getting a bit wider tires would help the trailer "float" a bit better.

If you haven't gotten there just yet, he did upsize the wheels/tires after his first overland trip. The cabin appears to have done well for him.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 am

Welcome!
We hit that "too old to put up the tent" about the same time as "can't carry a 55 quart cooler down a path to the site and water is 8.2 pounds per gallon" plateau. Nothing better than having everything ready for a "lets get out of this traffic weekend"....
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves