what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:29 am

SCION XB OR THE SUZUKI ESTEEM

WHEN I START TOWING DOUBLES I BREAK OUT "ANGUS"

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:43 pm

For the past few years I've been towing our 1420# + gear teardrop with a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer with a straight 6 cylinder engine.
The straight six has more torque than my former Chevy S-10 Blazer with a "V" 6 cylinder.
They are of similar sized engines but I get 15.5 MPG with the straight six, vs 14.5 MPG with the smaller body sized S-10 Blazer.
The "V" 6 use to chug up the Oregon side of the Siskiyou mountain grade but the straight 6 has no problem doing the speed limit, and then some, if nothing gets in my way.
It recovers better if I get slowed down by some slow truck.
It has a better transmission too where I don't have to physically down shift on mountain grades.

I'm done with buying new vehicles since we get taxed with a rapid transit tax, on the value of the vehicle, that I'll never use .
It will never come out our way in my lifetime, if ever.
They even tax our teardrop & our home for the RTA :x
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby kykate » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Just finishing the renovations and repairs on our TV - a 1997 Mitsubishi Montero. We have removed the middle row of seats and covered the floor with insulation and plywood, to level the surface and so it can double as a sleeping area when we have extra family camping with us. Gasoline V-6 with a townie capacity of 5,000#, with electric trailer brakes. Since our trailer's dry weight is about 1,800#, it should suffice.

IMG_1847.jpg
IMG_1847.jpg (131.38 KiB) Viewed 2432 times

IMG_1848.jpg
IMG_1848.jpg (139.28 KiB) Viewed 2432 times

Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:53 am

New TV for me. Retired State Trooper mobile. Complete with gear drawers already installed.

Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby slowcowboy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:11 am

My old ford suv the aka exploder gave up the ghost I can't get China to make me a ford fender mounted selnoid that's worth a dam.they all short out..other folks are having problems to with the bad Chinese made ones.so, I am towing with my 93 dodge cummins,..great power,.. great old classic truck and great 20 or better mileage on desil...problem is when I go camping is I have a flatbed on my dodge so yea, were do you stow your camping gear?..I have a old pick up shell camper top and I want to build a slide in box with lots of huge long drawers to mount the pickup box camper shell on..I can sleep under it,. and have enclosed storage. Then since I have a 4 wide teardrop,.. I can stuff a girlfreind or a guy freind out under the pickup shell on the truck and draw straws for who gets to sleep inside my teardrop..and it's all removable to use my truck flatbed and gooseneck trailer hitch for my bigger farm trailers...or leave it home and take my quad with my tear drop camping..Slow.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:13 am

Hey.sparks just mount a light bar on top heee! And watch people hit the brakes as you go down the highway to your next camp spot..slow.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby flboy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 am

My most recent pics of my 2011 F150 4WD with 5.0L V8 pulling my CTC.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:05 pm

There's at least one vintage trailer & teardrop rallie that wants non vintage vehicles to unhook and move away from the trailer. :?
I'm not too fond of that idea since the tow vehicle can be a support vehicle for some essential gear.
If I don't take my 55 Chevy Belair then I take my 93 Chevy Silverado pick up truck.
I had it totally repainted in the original color, new grill, all new lights, tires and polished up the rims and replaced the chrome caps & lug nuts.
I bought the truck new in 1993 and it only has 126,000 miles on it.
It finally died on me a few months ago and had to have it's first tune up, it's a 350 HP V8. :thumbsup:
Seems to have satisfied the host last year. It's 25 years old but the body style is 30 years old.
I still need to hook up the brake controller I bought last year, great hauler and gets about 15+ mpg hauling the teardrop.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:52 am

The grizzled old bugger flashed his blue eyes and mimicked a deep guttural Samurai growl, "TOYOTA!"

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Hey.sparks just mount a light bar on top heee! And watch people hit the brakes as you go down the highway to your next camp spot..slow.

LOL. They already do that Slow.

I just finished mounting ham radio antennas on it. Now for the subtle UFO hunter stickers.
Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby low277 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 pm

This is mine, Chevy Silverado with my continuing project trailer. :)
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby dancam » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:49 pm

1992 ford festiva. It took the 4 of us and towed this almost 2000 pound trailer from alberta to the west coast (prince rupert), north all through alaska, took the top of the world highway to dawson city, all the way across and down to niagra falls, toured all of nova scotia, most of PEI and made it all the way back home to alberta. Most challenging drive was the cabot trail on cape breton island. The hills were almost too much for my 63hp festiva pulling this trailer. But we made it! I wish i had some photos of the cabot trail on my phone, it was amazing. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Mad Cow » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:35 pm

I use a 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L gasser. Bit of overkill I suppose, but I need a 3/4 ton for other stuff than any towing that might happen. I am not going to buy another vehicle to tow with.
Mad Cow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gold5one » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:35 pm

My HHR is being sold, because I now have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche. It was an estate sale- owned for 12 years by a retired mechanic who owned a garage in Binghamton NY, before he retired to Florida about 15 years ago. I got real lucky on this - saw the new Craigslist adv yesterday and bought it today. In this case, the pictures really did not do justice.
I only realized this weekend, when I saw a youtube video, that I could use the Avalanche just like a small teardrop camper- fold the back seats down, take out the midgate and I have room for a foam mattress and sleeping bag, cooler, etc, stretching back into the bed area and can still sit up in the cab. Plus, I can reach between the console and hit the ignition and run the heater or A/C- The rear windows are already tinted for privacy, too.
So-oo, I can hit the road this year and not spend any time or money building a new camper! If I should ever buy another RV, I can pretty much tow anything I want- $4800 was a bargain.

"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark
Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby PCO6 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:22 am

I only own Jeeps … so that's what I tow with. Mostly with my LJ & XJ but I also own a TJ & MJ.

PCO6
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles