top cargo trailer manufacturers?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

top cargo trailer manufacturers?

Postby JokerOne » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:58 pm

I recently looked a one trailer of what I considered to be a top manufacturer.

The screws on the floor looked like they were put in by two 8 year kids having a race and both of them loosing.

Made me concerned about the issues I couldn't/didn't see.

I know build quality fluctuates, but any recommendations would be helpful.

looking for a 6x12.

thanks
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Re: top cargo trailer manufacturers?

Postby NO David! » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:33 am

Consider working with a manufacturer "in your neck of the woods" if possible. With cargo trailers, it seems to be all over the place. The majority of the well known brands seemed to be just that, brands, owned by an investment group. I purchased a Cargo Craft, and it had a few issues I thought it could have had a bit more attention to detail. After 6 years of use, however, I have to say if I were building another, I'd buy one of theirs again. They are one of the few privately owned (family) manufacturers left. They even sent a crew to my house to make corrections to the incorrect work order sent by the dealer on my custom options. In general, I'd say they offer the most for the least in terms of cost. My walls were 1" square tubing on 16" centers, roof at 24", no z-channel studs, screws were used for plywood, none of that crazy nail/screw head stuff.

Mine is an Expedition model, but with standard leaf spring axles from the Explorer to gain ground clearance. (Normal platform height is 18", mine is 22" (no 4" drop)

You mentioned BLM land, if you live out West, they have a plant in Texas, they even offer an off-road styled small cargo.
Example at Colorado Trailers
https://www.coloradotrailersinc.com/2016-cargo-craft-6x12-off-road-cargo-trailer-used-cargo-trailer-co-i2405314

As far as "top trailers", Intech, Aluminum Trailer Corporation (ATC) both make all aluminum. I also like Homesteader built in Tennessee, (typical cargo trailer, but ones I've seen appear well built)
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:48 am

JokerOne, Howdy;

I chose an Interstate 6' X14' X 6'6", single axle with an upgraded axle (next higher weight level), to
get the 7-prong electric plug and trailer brakes. Brakes on the trailer are important so you'll also
need to look for a Brake Controller. I had looked at a few other brands of trailers but liked these best.
There are a few quality levels to choose from. Mostly dealing with frame and trim levels.
https://www.interstatecargo.com/contact.php
Happy Hunting!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:55 am

Some brands are regional. Some brands are not a brand but a name on one, built by another.
As for how they are built, it's usually, an assembly line. Workers are usually on a quota. Quality may or may not be a feature. If you find one that's built by craftsman's expect quality & price to reflect that.
I'm happy with my American Hauler. I looked at RnR, and Neo I thought they were a better products, than others I looked at. One of the bigger names/brands I looked at I thought was poor quality, at higher prices. And it's dealer seemed to have a different sizing method.
But each of our expectations are different. That's why best and top aren't for all. Look at some, find a brand that you like and a dealer that's willing to work for the sale.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby low277 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:03 pm

I work at a power-sports manufacturing company, we have over 1000 employees and several assembly lines.

The trailer that I bought does not appear to have been built in a real assembly line process. The trailer is built ok but when I opened up the walls to insulate it you can instantly tell that it is not built in a controlled process. I was surprised by this, as I can see many places that could be improved upon and that would improve quality and reduce costs.

It also seems that many of these trailer companies change hands often.

If you can find a good dealer that will take the time to show you the options and answer your questions is a bonus. I found a dealer that had several brands and was willing to spend time talking with me about what I wanted. I ended up ordering one with a few options to get what I wanted.

Good luck, lots of helpful people here and tons of ideas.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:21 pm

I have looked at a lot of trailers too and bought a Featherlite for my next build,if I can ever get around to building it.

Featherlite is an All Aluminum trailer and pretty much top of the line for a lot of the different specialties that they build for.

I have had a lot of time on the Equine arena and for Horses and Livestock the Featherlite have been amazingly rugged and well made but all while remaining lighter weight from the Aluminum build.
They do cost more too.

I found mine used and saved a lot from the price of a new one.

https://www.fthr.com/

I am also impressed with the trailers from ProLine of New Hampshire,another Aluminum rig from a family owned company.

https://nhtrailers.com/

I did buy a cheap Georgia trailer for my first one and while it was inexpensive and not nearly as terrible as many I have seen the quality difference is pretty amazing between it and the Featherlite and everyone who sees both has noticed this too.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby JokerOne » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am

Padilen wrote:Some brands are regional. Some brands are not a brand but a name on one, built by another.
As for how they are built, it's usually, an assembly line. Workers are usually on a quota. Quality may or may not be a feature. If you find one that's built by craftsman's expect quality & price to reflect that.
I'm happy with my American Hauler. I looked at RnR, and Neo I thought they were a better products, than others I looked at. One of the bigger names/brands I looked at I thought was poor quality, at higher prices. And it's dealer seemed to have a different sizing method.
But each of our expectations are different. That's why best and top aren't for all. Look at some, find a brand that you like and a dealer that's willing to work for the sale.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

thanks!
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Postby JokerOne » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am

thanks to all who responded.
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Postby fourbtgait » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Mine is Continental Cargo, owned by Forest River.
Build quality is ok, best part is all the fasteners including interior plywood to frame is held on by self tapping screws.
Easy on, easy off. Nothing has come loose.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby fourbtgait » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 pm

fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby Vspec » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:21 am

First try working with a dealer that local to you, as many manufacturer will not deal directly.

I was quite set on an ATC but could not find a dealer locally. Ended up with a Neo that has a local dealer and have no regrets (I would just order some things differently).
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cg_ops » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:19 am

In my research, last year, Pace American was regarded as one of the best with a national dealer network. There werent any dealers near me but I bought a LOOK trailer after learning that they were acquired by Pace in 2011 and have been basically re-branded Pace trailers.
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions