Newb from NW Montana

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newb from NW Montana

Postby tinman52 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi all, my name is Scott and happy to be here. I've been reading and soaking up info here for a while, thought I'd join in the discussions.
I have started building my first teardrop, 4x8 of my own design, loosely based on the Benroy. I plan to keep it simple and lowbuck. I will be towing it with one of my Classic vehicles.
So far I have built the trailer frame, mounted the axle and have it titled. I'm sure I will have a lot of newb questions, so bear with me.
Thanks!
tinman52
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newb from NW Montana

Postby KennethW » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:12 pm

I will share what I have learned. 4 wide is only good for one person. If I were you I would go 5 wide with a slat platform (firing strips and old steel bed frame angle iron for center support) for a bed above the wheel wells (may need a step for your feet outside the door). The elevated bed will give you storage under it . If you have a leak the mattress will dry up quickly and humidity will wick thru the mattress. Plus you will not be on the floor so it can be of really light material like coroplast(old politic signs) Have you looked at a foam build? Here is my no wood teardrop(only wood is the drop-floor floor). viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70181 Just my thoughts. Have fun with your build
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:14 pm

I must say my wife and I were comfortable in a 4 wide.
It depends on you...........
:thinking:
I recommend that you mock up a 4 wide and check it out with
your significant other before you jump to 5 foot.
:roll:
Its a leap in complexity and cost.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tinman52 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks for the replies.
I should probably elaborate...I am single and mostly travel alone. This TD won't be used for camping per se. Just a place to sleep out of the weather while on the road to car events. No rear galley or any frills, very basic. I'm committed to the 4 wide as the frame is already built. This is my first TD build, but not likely the last. Maybe the next one will be bigger!
tinman52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am

Good plan. Build a low cost one first to see what you really want. A gallery in your case would make a good spot for your cleaning supply's and refreshments. Please put a good roof fan in. It is almost a must have. Don't be afraid of the roof curve. it is really easy with a pair of ratch straps. I think the curve makes for a lot stronger teardrop with less weight. :thumbsup:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jim.Johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:03 pm

I've followed this thread with some interest. I too am building a 4x8 Benroy. I have a 5x8 that I took over as an unfinished project. I've spent tons of time and money to make it into a pretty nice teardrop. But I wanted something smaller and much lighter. For me camping is not about taking home with me. I want a dry place to sleep and enough gear to prepare meals. I find that I rarely use any of the inside storage so I'm just going to have a couple of shelves to set stuff on. I keep most of my extra gear in the back of the car.
I'll at least have fun building. I'll try it for awhile and see if it's really what I want or if I'll go back to the other one. It seems that several I know are moving from teardrops to standies, but so far that's not for me.
I'm building in some wiring, but to start with I'm using battery powered puck lights for lighting. I would only need a larger battery if I needed to run the fan - which in the NW I have never done. I also don't have any media build in. I'm going to put in a port for shore power and I'll have a small 12v power supply along.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T / CB3-132) using Tapatalk
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jim.Johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:25 pm

I think I need to add a bit. I also camp alone except for a smaller beagle. She doesn't need much space.
I said I don't use my overhead fan, but I definitely recommend a roof vent. I find that with side windows and the overhead vent I get all the air movement I need in our climate.

Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Tinman,

Welcome to the fun.

Remember, we love :pictures: :thumbsup:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby tinman52 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:49 am

Yes I am starting out with a pretty basic build. I will have a small on board battery to power the roof vent and an interior light/power port. But really, portable LED lights are cheap and throw a lot of light.....I have one I use for tent camping that works great.
I'm sure I'll learn a lot building this.
Will start a build thread as I get farther along. With pictures.
tinman52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:54 am

You should be ready to camp by July. Walk The Winds is coming up near Pinedale, WY.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Photophobic » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:04 am

Welcome!

I highly recommend keeping the first build as simple as possible. I didn't follow that advice and not everything came out as planned and my build was well behind schedule.
Paul

Photophobic photographer looking for adventure.
Build thread: Here
Photophobic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:18 pm

single - even being single, build it with two doors - a door on each side - more than often I found the campsite will dictate what side of the trailer you will be accessing in and out on!! Plus, for resale, even with it being a 4x8 it is more sellable. Something else you may look at building as a compromise is 4-"1/2" X 8. One of the problems with a 4x8 is the mattress size. With a 4 ft you either have to have a mattress made to 'fit' it or find a mattress that can be cut to fit - a mattress 4 "1/2" wide is a common size = 'FULL' size -- as is a 5 ft = 'QUEEN' size. (both sizes very 'common') Am speaking from the experience of having now owned both sizes and yes, the 4ft wide was just "fine" for one person and you know, sometimes this 5ft one I now have is just a bit "TOO WIDE"!! when trying to reach out to grab something :? that 1 extra ft is just a bit too far.....!!! :roll: this 1/2 ft idea could be the compromise....... something more too think about....... :thinking:
Last edited by gudmund on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Jim.Johnson » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:21 pm

As mentioned earlier I'm going from a 5 ft. to a 4 ft. A big advantage in the build stage is very efficient use of materials. I'm only doing one door with a window and a window opposite it. Mine is stick built with skins on both sides so I included framing for a second door if I ever see the need. Just poke a hole and run the router around and presto a door opening! I've never used the second door on the unit I have.

Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tinman52 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks for all of the input!
Actually, my trailer is 4'4" wide....kinda odd I know but dictated by the axle I chose to use(Chrysler minivan rear axle). Those extra inches are nice, but will make materials a bit more $$$. No biggie.
I wanted the trailer width and axle width to match my tow vehicles, my '52 Ford PU or my '31 Plymouth coupe. That is why I ruled out the 5' wide.
As for mattress, I will be using an air bed or a piece of thick foam w/cover.
Yup, doors on both sides and some opening windows in both. Maybe a skylight, I haven't decided.....but definitely a good roof vent/fan.
Hope to start a build thread as soon as there is some progress!
tinman52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby VinceEC » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Hello Fellow Montanan and car buff I say it is good to have a 4 foot td as my wife and I have enjoyed all our camping trips in a 4 foot!! we go alot too!! One thing to remember is that in a 4 footer you must like who is staying there with you but more important than that is SHE better like you real good too!! i am south central Mt and will be pulling my ole td with an ole '58 ford Ranchero some of the time this summer hope we can meet up some day!
VinceEC
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves