The Astroliner

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Astroliner

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:11 pm

[quote="Atomic77"]And here's the link:

5KW 12V Diesel Air Heater 10L Tank Vent Caravan Motor-Homes Pipe LCD Thermostat Monitor + Silencer Bus Van https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JB7QZWZ/re ... vCbA8ST642

Thanks for the info!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:21 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:
Thanks for the info!

I'll let you know how it pans out. Supposed to be here by 2/12, but I see its coming from Jersey and that usually means drop ship. So we'll see!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:34 am

As I sit here, patiently waiting for my heater to be delivered...

If you follow this build, you probably know a few things about this project that are consistent. For the entire process we put money into it as we had it. If we didn't have money, nothing happened because we promised ourselves we would come out on the other side debt free. Broke maybe, but debt free! The other constant is, we always tried to stay mindful of the Mid-Century, Atomic-Era, Space-Age, Retro-Futuristic flavors of the Astroliner. Just ask my brother how annoying it was that I would only play Mid-Century music during the build. It's all about staying in the Vibe, in the Mindset, it's the Inspiration! Anyway, that's what works for me as an Artist. So... true to form we have been very delayed in getting the upholstery completed for the dinette. Like everything else, it's been a process and has taken form in incremental steps. Sure, we could cut some foam with a Turkey knife and try to do it ourselves like everything else we've done. But in the end, we decided a professional upholsterer was the best choice. Unfortunately, the quotes came in, anywhere from $1500 to $2500! For camper cushions! (Sorry long story here, but hang with me.) So we found a sweet little lady that is a seamstress who also does some light upholstery work. We took Astro over to her and she made patterns and cut foam cushions, even covering them with something she had on hand just to get us through the first season. Over the winter I've been squirreling back a few nuts, and we finally have our fabric. We decided on a two-tone scheme for variety and of course, we wanted something Whimsical and Atomic-ish. Flash back to 5 years ago, Carrie and I found a very expensive, high quality, woven material called "Gustav's Dream" at a designer furniture store. It was based on paintings from the symbolist painter, Gustav Klimt. It inspired a lot of the colors, flake and whimsy of the Astroliner from the very beginning. The Tangerine Copper and the Raspberry both came from this first inspiring piece. Sadly, it was wayyyy out of our budget so we passed, but never forgot the inspiration of "Gustav's Dream." I stopped a couple times to look at it but they finally quit carrying it. Now fast forward 5 years and we are finally ready for upholstery! Finally! And would you believe, Carrie found "Gustav's Dream" in a warehouse online somewhere, still expensive but about half of what it was 5 years ago!

If you are still reading you are a serious trooper for sure! God bless you. Anyway, the fabrics came in today and I'm getting in the truck to take everything to the upholstery shop. Not sure on a time frame but I told her by spring!

Oh, here's a teaser pic. I'll have more and probably a video once it's finished! Thanks for following us and our journey. Not always easy but always worth it! Glad we have the Brotherhood (and Sisterhood!) Of the Builders!

Happy Building!
Michael and Carrie

Last edited by Atomic77 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:30 pm

I see you guys are really serious about sticking to the mid-century theme. That is a great fabric pick and thanks for sharing the story :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Nice find. I like that pattern. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:12 am

Very well written and well worth the read. You always manage to convey the love and attention to detail that continues to go into you project so well, and in an entertaining way. I'm riveted!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 am

KCStudly wrote:Very well written and well worth the read. You always manage to convey the love and attention to detail that continues to go into you project so well, and in an entertaining way. I'm riveted!
Thanks Brotherman. It's our ongoing saga. Thanks for always supporting us! I keep chipping away and maybe someday I'll be 98% done or so. It's all the little things! Never ending! How's your project coming along? Need me to head that way and give you a hand?!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:42 pm

OP827 wrote:I see you guys are really serious about sticking to the mid-century theme. That is a great fabric pick and thanks for sharing the story :thumbsup:

Yes Oleg we try, All the way to the end!
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:43 pm

pchast wrote:Nice find. I like that pattern. :thumbsup:

Thanks Pete. I probably wouldn't like it on my family room sofa or anything but I think it will be perfect for a flaked out retro-futuristic camper!
Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 am

Atomic77 wrote:Need me to head that way and give you a hand?!

That would be awesome (once the weather warms up)! We'd probably have the bodywork done in short order with a master of the art like you manning the spray guns and air sanders. I have little to no experience there; the only time I tried to use a DA on TPCE I made more work for myself than I saved. :( :shock: :lol:

Based on your input (and that of others), I am more seriously considering switching to a high build primer, stick a couple of box fans in the windows with furnace filters, cover a few more things in plastic and have at it.

Thank, my Brotherman, for the constant support and encouragement. It is indeed a brother/sister-hood! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:49 am

KCStudly wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:Need me to head that way and give you a hand?!

That would be awesome (once the weather warms up)! We'd probably have the bodywork done in short order with a master of the art like you manning the spray guns and air sanders. I have little to no experience there; the only time I tried to use a DA on TPCE I made more work for myself than I saved. :( :shock:

Based on your input (and that of others), I am more seriously considering switching to a high build primer, stick a couple of box fans in the windows with furnace filters, cover a few more things in plastic and have at it.

Thank, my Brotherman, for the constant support and encouragement. It is indeed a brother/sister-hood!

There have been many times, racing on the road where the convenience of a paint booth was far away. We made do, wherever we were with box fans and plastic. Wet the floor if possible to hold everything down, but with primer you are sanding it anyway so dust isn't a worry. Let me know if you need pointers, I'm glad to help

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am

Fed Ex brought me a Diesel Heater and I've been working on fitting it in the Astro. Before I install it permanently, I made a video of all the bits and bobs, as they say. Until I get it installed and mounted I won't know much but by the time its said and done, I'll have a good understanding of how things go. Part 2 after installation.

https://youtu.be/lbwAUNx_3mA

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:36 pm

[quote][/quote][quote="Atomic77"]. Part 2 after installation.

Can't wait! :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:48 pm

OP827 wrote:I would consider location outside, so you do not have diesel smell inside camper. The tank must have a small vent hole in any case. Also the fuel pump is making clicking noise, so locating it outside to reduce noise when you sleep is not a bad idea..
Any danger of the fuel pump freezing up under the coach?

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:27 pm

Atomic77 wrote:
OP827 wrote:.
Any danger of the fuel pump freezing up under the coach?

Excellent point! :applause:

Given that diesel fuel will gel in bitter cold conditions without an additive, I would think that you would need to add the anti gel treatment. For me, adding the additive would be no big deal so I would have no problem with the fuel pump being outside.

But for your question, I would not have thought of this problem.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals