Hello from Oz

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Oz

Postby MickinOz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello, my name is Mick.
I'm considering buying or building a teardrop camper.
It all started when an absentee landlord tripled the rent at a local hotel.

My favourite wine, beer and food vendors were forced out by the insane rent increase.
They bought an abandoned country hotel for a song, restored it and recommenced trading without a lease hanging over their heads.
All was cool, except it's now 60 miles from my door to theirs.

(I live in the state of South Australia. It's about 40% bigger than Texas, but only has about 1.7 million people.
1.3 million of those people live in metropolitan Adelaide, the capital city.
In the country-side the population density is very low, and it's a long way between towns.)

Not much public transport out here in the scrub, so now it's find a new pub or sleep over after a night out.
No accommodation on offer in the tiny little town they are in, but there is free RV parking and camping. Toilet available, no showers or electricity.
The missus and I camped over on New Years Eve. Over coffee brewed on the tailgate next morning, we both agreed that we were "over" sleeping on an air mattress in a tent. Too old to be crawling in and out.

Trouble is, many of the places we like to go for a night out or a weekend away are in small country towns and the bush. Accommodation options are limited.
Full-sized caravan? No. Friends just paid more than $70,000 for a self-contained semi off-road unit.
It's lovely, but it's way heavier than the towing limit of my smallish 4x4 truck, and we'd have to build a shelter to store it out of the weather.
So - no more tents or swags, caravan too big.
Enter the teardrop.

Still pondering options - buy or build?
So I'll be around, reading up and hopefully adding value every now and then.
Regards,
Mick
Attachments
Yongala New Years Day (444x800).jpg
Yongala New Years Day (444x800).jpg (245.44 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Re: Hello from Oz

Postby lee senn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi Mick and welcome to the forum. I usually can recommend a teardrop builder but am,unfortunately, not familiar with builders in your area. Building your own is a chore but well worth the effort in money saved. One Suggestion , plan a tear big enough to have a porta potti inside. Going outside in the outback ( here in the U S of A and I assume in Australia ) can be an unpleasant experience . I built what is called a Grasshopper on the forum and found the semi square shape easier to deal with than the curved rear of a traditional tear . Mine did not have a rear galley as I find cooking outside on a folding table workable for us. Lee and Norma
lee senn
Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:47 pm

Welcome. I am up in Queensland. For what it is worth I took a year to build working on it every 2nd weekend on average and spend approx $4500 to get a result my wife and I love. Buying will obviously cost you more but you get out now. Image

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks people,
It ain't particularly pleasant using the woods for a toilet here in Oz, but at last we have no bears debating whether or not eat us while we are doing the deed. :frightened:
If I were to build, I would probably do a basic 8 x 5 x 4 Benroy sort of thing.
We can get the 8 x 5 bolt together trailer kit here in Oz, with Australian build/compliance plate, all nice and legal. About $750 US dollars - more than you guys pay, I think but not ridiculous. That includes freight to my door from Melbourne.
Found a reasonably local supplier of 3/4 inch 10 x 5 sheets of exterior hardwood ply too.
So I could do it.

Among the commercial offerings, this is what really floats my boat. This thing is a bit heavy at 620 kg dry weight, but it is just about fully loaded.
Comes with 600 watts of solar panels, 200 Amp hours of batteries, 2 burner stove with 2kg (4.4 lbs) propane cylinder, 50L fridge, 80L water tank, TV/DVD combo, 12V lighting, full queen sized inner spring mattress, etc.
About $10,000 AUD - $7500 USD

Model shown is single door. Marriage preserving extra door is $700 extra.
One stumbling block - it is a 2300 mile / 3600 km drive just to go and look to see if I'd like to order one.

www.nookee.com.au
Attachments
nookee.JPG
nookee.JPG (163.78 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:48 pm

Nice looking. But rocks breaking that front panel could be a problem. Roof fan?
Solar panels are not sealed to the frames. (Found out the hard way)
Good luck with you build and safe travels.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby irgod32 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Hey Mick,
Welcome, I know what you mean about wanting just the right trailer. There are so many options out there to pick from. But I can't stress enough the pleasure you get from building your own design. Spending the first night in a trailer you built with your own hands is really an exciting adventure. I have built 3 so far, my first a Benroy shaped TD, then a 70's European style trailer to my present off road build (See below) which I really enjoy. I host a Home built trailer gathering in Santa Cruz, CA. All are welcome and what we focus on is what we all put into our trailers to make it our own. There are so many creative people out there with ideas that I have stolen and I incorporated into my own trailer. I wish you well on your choice and hope you find one or build one that you use with pride.
Feel free to ask as many questions and research all you can. Like anything, there are good designs and there are some prone to problems.
Take care!
Robert
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Build it and they will come
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Postby MickinOz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:23 am

Decision to buy or build just got made. The Nookee camper that caught my eye in December at $8,500 Aus, has had three price rises in 1.5 months.
It is now $13,200 Aus, plus $700 extra for a second door, plus at least $500 to go get it. Call it $14,500.
So, out of reach.
The missus said, "Bugger that, you'd better build one."
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby edgeau » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:25 am

Well I am looking forward to your build thread!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves