outside portable window awning

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

outside portable window awning

Postby tradarcher69 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Has anyone come up with a portable outside window awning. Something that you install over a window, when you get to camp, that allows you to open window during bad weather to allow air flow but not allow rain to come in. You would be able to take in down during transit. Something like you see on houses. Thanks
tradarcher69
Teardrop Inspector

Re: outside portable window awning

Postby flboy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:49 pm

tradarcher69 wrote:Has anyone come up with a portable outside window awning. Something that you install over a window, when you get to camp, that allows you to open window during bad weather to allow air flow but not allow rain to come in. You would be able to take in down during transit. Something like you see on houses. Thanks

I do not have an awning over the window, but the emergency exit window I installed opens outward for normal use (ventilation) and effectively the window becomes the awning. In an emergency, it releases on the hinge and you can climb through. I use it all the time in the rain (they come with quick remove screens to keep bugs out). Find a window like that and you get two for the price of one. :-)

In any case, I think it is a good idea to have a secondary egress if someone barricades you in since all the doors open outward on these campers.

If you do not want an Emergency Exit window for whatever reason, they also make RV Windows that open outward the same way. Meant for opening in rain. They look like the pic below. No need to take anything down for transit. They are the same price as the Emergency Exit windows so I do not see the point, except you may be able to find them in a smaller size.

Sorry I did not answer your specific question. This is just an alternative to the window specific awning you asked about. At camp, when all set up, that window is under my main awning anyhow, but it is nice when in situations where the main awning is not or cannot be deployed (overnighting in a Walmart parking lot for instance).

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.66 KiB) Viewed 4659 times
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:36 pm

tradarcher69 wrote:Has anyone come up with a portable outside window awning. Something that you install over a window, when you get to camp, that allows you to open window during bad weather to allow air flow but not allow rain to come in. You would be able to take in down during transit. Something like you see on houses. Thanks

I was brainstorming the other day about how to affix a device over my slider windows so I could open the windows during rain. I thought about those drip caps like the ones at https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Dr ... ts-515.htm ...

or, as an alternative, a plastic vent shade like the ones that are installed over the rear side window of a pickup truck, or the rear window of a pickup truck or a sunroof wind deflector like the ones at https://www.autozone.com/landing/page.j ... ent-visors … but doubt that either of them would do much good.

I also thought about making a mini awning by fashioning some kind of square frame device made out of small diameter pvc pipe over which could be attached vinyl-awning material … with a strip of high bond 3M velcro installed an inch or so above the top of the window so that the the top rail of the frame could be attached above the window with the velcro … then drop two side legs down at an angle from the outboard corners of the frame … with a bottom rail installed between the two legs … then affix the bottom rail with velcro to the trailer at points below the window similar to the way the top rail is affixed to the top of the window

… kind of a Mickey Mouse set up …. but that is what I thought about.

I know there are some very high bond Velcro products available … so maybe that would solve the blowing wind problem.

The advantage of using velcro is that if the design does not work, the velcro could be removed easily with alcohol and the cost of materials would be negligible.

I am glad you asked this question … maybe somebody will come up with a good idea.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:42 pm

tradarcher69, Howdy;

One reason I'm going to install jalousie (louvered), windows in mine when I get around to it.
OR, you can use one of several varieties that the regular RVers use here the google page;
https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+wind ... e&ie=UTF-8
and the obligatory Wiki ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalousie_window Be sure to
read section 4 Efficacy's final 2 sentences.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tradarcher69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 am

Featherlite, I was thinking of the same principle, either using pvc or square channel aluminum. What ever I come up with I want to be able to just roll it up to store. thanks for the input.

Hankaye, thanks for the google input. Gives me something to look at for design.

Charlie
tradarcher69
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 am

I'll suggest 1/4" ply for a quick removable awning. You can put two small cup hooks above the window and two small eyes on the board, or the opposite. A prop can be the same with a dowel rod with hooks and eyes on the rod, awning and below the window.

I have wanted Windows in the front but see that Windows would be subject to stones thrown up. My idea was to construct an awning that hinged over the Windows to cover and protect but lifted into an awning. You could use a hinge instead of the removable hooks and eyes.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 am

I have seen people use corrugated tin roofing in the same manner as tomterrific described above. You could likely find some scrap pieces large enough and in a variety of colors localy at a nominal cost.(FREE) There is always some scrap after metal roofing installs. They would be weather resistant and could add a punch of color to an otherwise bland exterior. Or you could go with classic white to keep it understated.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby tradarcher69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Good idea about plywood or metal. Rigid. Thought about instead of using cup hooks could try those command strip hooks, the larger ones. I used the smaller ones and ran several across the side above the door to hang rope lights for outside lighting. Been on for 2.5 years and still there. No holes.

Thanks
tradarcher69
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:50 pm

155981 Attached on a Kedar rail. We have three of them including one for the Galley.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:11 pm

As you guys started talking rigid awnings on the front, I was tossed back to my childhood and remembered these fiberglass and aluminum units.

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby hankaye » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 am

Icon, Howdy;

Ya beat me to it. I was going to mention those window covers for front and back windows.
Had some on the first Home on wheels I had and it was as new as 1995. However, those
only work well for front and rear, as the smallest amount of wind under a leading edge
on a side mounted would lead to it being ripped off by the wind force.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby EZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:33 am

First thought I had is a simple frame from PVC and some Sumbrella fabric with a couple of screw eyes on the trailer (hooks sticking out at eye level makes me nervous).

I can't believe what "they" charge for a tiny window awning..................

Those aluminum side table extrusions cut to length might work nice with some thin plywood or plastic or other stiff material. Mount the female(?) half above the window and the other half to the awning material at the angle you want. Would be cantlievered and not even need support legs. On and off in an instant. Add a protective bumper (and maybe weight so the wind doesn't blow it off). Crude sketch below.

That is what a cheap skate mad scientist wannabe comes up with at first glance........

Image Image
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:53 am

It occurs to me that a full window cover is not necessary. Only about a 4" extended awning will work okay over the top of our windows. I have been thinking of a full window previously.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby greygoos » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 pm

greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:12 pm

Ez,
Nice graphic … good food for thought …I am with you on the cheap :thumbsup: .

Traderarcher,
We are making progress … I want something that is inconspicuous … like for use on an overnighter at a Walmart. :twisted:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions