Ammo can uses

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Ammo can uses

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm

I recently aquired an old highway patrol Tahoe. The radio console had been removed, leaving a cavernous gap between the front seats. At the same time, I had a stack of new 50 caliber ammo cans in the corner of my garage. An idea was born.

I bought a new radio console floorplate from Jottodesk, so I didn't even have to drill holes in the car. Two holes were drilled in each can to mount to the floorplate. I also found cup holders meant for boating use, so even a large 30oz tumbler will fit.

Ham radio is a hobby, so I mounted a radio in the front can which allowed me to cut the entire side of the can away to allow adequate cooling of the radio.

Finally, the cans are all offset slightly to allow use of the latches to keep the covers closed firmly.

Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Re: Ammo can uses

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:23 pm

How about y'all? Any cool ammo can uses on your tear or TV?
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:39 pm

Great work on your 50 Cal console. I have seen these cans made into a BBQ and a portable stereo.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:10 pm

I have one I am thinking about putting behind my fender, outside with my battery in it.
I also like some of the dropped floor batteries but just can't cut mine.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I have seen wood stoves for tents in hunting camps on utube made out of them before. Slow.

I've seen some videos of rocket stoves made from them. I haven't done it myself because of the size can needed. I recently found a few 40mm cans and even a 120mm arty can at a local surplus shop.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Great work on your 50 Cal console. I have seen these cans made into a BBQ and a portable stereo.

I haven't seen a bbq yet. the jeep forums have some subwoofer ideas.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:40 pm

twisted lines wrote:I have one I am thinking about putting behind my fender, outside with my battery in it.
I also like some of the dropped floor batteries but just can't cut mine.

I like the behind the fender idea. My battery is buried deep in the galley, and makes maintenance access a pain.

I understand cutting the floor. At 10 years old, I finally relented to drill a hole in Rose's floor to make a path for the hot from the TV for in the go charging.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 pm

So how big can ammo cans get...

Front is a 30 caliber can, then 25mm, then 60mm(called 40 above), and finally 120mm. The 60 and 120 cans use the same lid as a 50 caliber can. They're just a few microns taller.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 am

Slim Potatohead made one into a miniature fireplace heater for his Aliner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3XOLLg8wn0
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 pm

PKCSPT wrote:Slim Potatohead made one into a miniature fireplace heater for his Aliner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3XOLLg8wn0

That was cool.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby shootr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Man, wish I more pics of my old Jeep...I used them on the sides of the rack to hold ratchet straps and other small stuff. The best was one bolted between the front seats to hold an aviation intercom unit - used David Clarks on the highway as it was a bit too loud to enjoy the ride...

shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:36 am

shootr wrote:...I used them on the sides of the rack to hold ratchet straps and other small stuff.
I also use one for bungee storage, bolted to the rear sidewall of my squareback TTT. I was always needing a centralized storage spot for my cords...they were always in one or more spots in truck or trailer before, not where I thought they were!..., so I bought an ammo can (and lock kit) on Amazon. Painted it to match the trailer, and used big carriage bolts to fasten it to the side (sealed with rubber washers & PL adhesive, too). Now the cords are all in one spot, easily accessible when I need them for securing my canopies & side tents at camp.
curbside DV '18.jpg
curbside DV '18.jpg (169.02 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 am

shootr wrote:Man, wish I more pics of my old Jeep...I used them on the sides of the rack to hold ratchet straps and other small stuff. The best was one bolted between the front seats to hold an aviation intercom unit - used David Clarks on the highway as it was a bit too loud to enjoy the ride...

There you go. I like that rack arrangement.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am

working on it wrote:
shootr wrote:...I used them on the sides of the rack to hold ratchet straps and other small stuff.
I also use one for bungee storage, bolted to the rear sidewall of my squareback TTT. I was always needing a centralized storage spot for my cords...they were always in one or more spots in truck or trailer before, not where I thought they were!..., so I bought an ammo can (and lock kit) on Amazon. Painted it to match the trailer, and used big carriage bolts to fasten it to the side (sealed with rubber washers & PL adhesive, too). Now the cords are all in one spot, easily accessible when I need them for securing my canopies & side tents at camp.
curbside DV '18.jpg

I always remember your cool graphics and forget the ammo cans.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:46 pm

I made panniers for my bike!

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion