The Geek's Lair

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Geek's Lair

Postby GeekFisher » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:06 pm

twisted lines wrote:
GeekFisher wrote: Im reading stuff about building cabinet the TD way ! I still wonder about the d**n doors as well ! :(

I am cutting one piece at a time for the doors :roll: Yesterday it was for the rear door and today I wondered if the roof would fit in!
For now Im going to forget I read cabnet above.

Why forget about reading cabinets ?

Btw I meant the galley/cabin Doors. I'm pretty confident about the cabinets !
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:24 pm

GeekFisher wrote:
twisted lines wrote:
GeekFisher wrote: Im reading stuff about building cabinet the TD way ! I still wonder about the d**n doors as well ! :(

I am cutting one piece at a time for the doors :roll: Yesterday it was for the rear door and today I wondered if the roof would fit in!
For now Im going to forget I read cabnet above.

Why forget about reading cabinets ?

Btw I meant the galley/cabin Doors. I'm pretty confident about the cabinets !

I am going too forget about cabinets for now; Because I am not confident nor have I ever tried, so please take lots of pictures so I can learn from you :)
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 pm

twisted lines wrote:I am going too forget about cabinets for now; Because I am not confident nor have I ever tried, so please take lots of pictures so I can learn from you :)

I'll try to pic as much pictures as possible but I'm still a newbie at this. On your side, ever tackled the door building job so I could learn that from you ?

I resketched the galley tonight and it's now pretty much up to scale. Added a drawer for storage over AC/Heater and a shelf-on-rails for the cooler.
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:28 pm

GeekFisher wrote:I'll try to pic as much pictures as possible but I'm still a newbie at this. On your side, ever tackled the door building job so I could learn that from you ?

Your drawings don't show newbie :) actually helped answer a problem I was having with the bottom seal.
Tracks for the heavy stuff over the seal, I don't lift well, But she does.
Will do a little catch up on my build today, how I am doing both doors although I bought one.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:46 pm

Curious about your drawing. How does your AC vent, are we looking at the rear of the unit?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Curious about your drawing. How does your AC vent, are we looking at the rear of the unit?

Yes, front is facing inward and I Will have to build some kind of docking for the front vents. I Will use a unit that include a remote so I can turn it on/off or adjust it without having to access the inside. I just hope the remote goes thru the wall and cabin cabinets !
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:24 pm

GeekFisher wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:Curious about your drawing. How does your AC vent, are we looking at the rear of the unit?

Yes, front is facing inward and I Will have to build some kind of docking for the front vents. I Will use a unit that include a remote so I can turn it on/off or adjust it without having to access the inside. I just hope the remote goes thru the wall and cabin cabinets !
Just make sure it is an (RF) Radio Frequency remote rather than an (IR) Infrared. Have you considered what to do with the moisture/condensation issue?

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:30 pm

Atomic77 wrote:
GeekFisher wrote:

Just make sure it is an (RF) Radio Frequency remote rather than an (IR) Infrared. Have you considered what to do with the moisture/condensation issue?

Drip pan under the AC is my actual plan...
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:46 pm

GeekFisher wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:
GeekFisher wrote:

I glassed in a pan in the floor with a drip hose out the bottom. This way it's maintenance free. I was hoping to run a hose off the unit, but, the 5000 btu units don't have a hose like the bigger units do. You may have already thought of this but the main reason built in units don't work well a lot of times is the lack of air to cool the compressor when installed in a cabinet. Here is a crude sketch of what im referring to.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 pm

Atomic77 wrote:
I glassed in a pan in the floor with a drip hose out the bottom. This way it's maintenance free. I was hoping to run a hose off the unit, but, the 5000 btu units don't have a hose like the bigger units do. You may have already thought of this but the main reason built in units don't work well a lot of times is the lack of air to cool the compressor when installed in a cabinet. Here is a crude sketch of what im referring to.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/quote]
First one is the finished galley, almost to scale and the second one the A/C setup with transparency on some panels. Dock setup is roughly sketched just so to get the idea ! The dividers won't go all the way to the rear wall as I have a countertop support there and I plan on using this opening (1") to run electrical wires :)
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm

I'm wondering how the air will cross through the unit to cool the compressor when it's against the fridge.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Atomic77 wrote:I'm wondering how the air will cross through the unit to cool the compressor when it's against the fridge.

There's a little space. I will make sure the cooler peltier exhaust will exhaust on the exterior wall. Also, when using the A/C, I will likely be at a campground, so I might just leave the galley door open, at least slightly. We need to compromise quite a bit when building these things with such tight space ! I simply won't bring the AC along when there would be no shore power. I also planned on using these dock vents with the diesel heater btw !
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Some of the last week-end progress:
Installed 2.7mm plywood (meranti/luan) since there were nothing else in 1/8th left :(
Quite brittle to work with but once varnished with Minwax Helmsman it's not that bad of a result... A little darker than I would like but my GF is happy with the results so do I. Pictures are after a single layer of semigloss varnish.

I also test fit the sink and cooler placement:
Please note on this picture the meranti/luan wasn't varnished, so you can see the difference :)

Right after, I stained (dyed ?) the counter. It's 3/4 knotted pine hobby board, cheaper than a real countertop and I guess, a little lighter?

I made the sink out of a stainless steel bowl, didn't have a pipe wrench but I do have a caliper and a 3D printer :twisted:
Not on picture, but a 1-7/8 holesaw blade found death in the process. Drilling holes around the radius seems to help.

I finally partly put together the 12v parts as well:

I expect to install/epoxy countertop this week :)
Last edited by GeekFisher on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:44 pm

This is from personal experience. If the exhaust cannot freely get away or if it builds up heat, the compressor will shut down. If air cannot pass through the unit side-to-side, the compressor will shut down. If the air side-to-side is too confined or say the hatch is closed the compressor will shut down. Someone else explained this to me, but until I built mine in, (and the compressor shut down... multiple times) I didn't fully understand the requirements for these units. When they are in a window, with free air all around the back and the front open to the room it's entirely different

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Atomic77 wrote:This is from personal experience. If the exhaust cannot freely get away or if it builds up heat, the compressor will shut down. If air cannot pass through the unit side-to-side, the compressor will shut down. If the air side-to-side is too confined or say the hatch is closed the compressor will shut down. Someone else explained this to me, but until I built mine in, (and the compressor shut down... multiple times) I didn't fully understand the requirements for these units. When they are in a window, with free air all around the back and the front open to the room it's entirely different

Noted, will make some tests. How did you finally set yours ?
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals