Noob from N/TX

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Noob from N/TX

Postby okmacrae » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:55 am

Hello, and I hope that this may be the beginning of a new chapter in my life, and maybe the beginning of new friendships as well. I retired (at 59 and a half) back in 2005 because my elderly parents were both diagnosed with cancer and needed assistance, and I suspected that if I didn’t retire then, I might not have another chance to do so for more than another decade. When circumstances permitted, I (and my trusty Chihuahua named Lucky) did some motorcycle touring around the Southwest and, on two occasions, up the west coast of the U.S. through Canada to Alaska. Unfortunately, both parents and Lucky had passed by 2014, and after adopting a couple of rescue dogs with medical problems, I hung up my helmet for good and disposed of both motorcycles. The dogs and I have taken a few trips together, but it’s not safe for them to fly in a cargo hold, and pet charges at motels/hotels can make travel by road quite expensive. I’m hoping that a trailer can make sightseeing trips practical again.
The only days I consider “wasted” are the ones during which I fail to receive knowledge, impart knowledge, or perform an act of kindness.
okmacrae
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Noob from N/TX

Postby KennethW » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:07 am

I travel with my dog all the time. Forgo the cabinet at the base of the bed and put in a bunk for your best friends. My dog loves the camper. He will jump in and shuffle his feet on my bed then move up to his bed on the bunk. I guess he didn't want dirt in his bed.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby okmacrae » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:24 am

Thanks, KennethW. I rented a teardrop last spring for a visit to the Shenandoah Valley and Skyline Drive in Virginia (I used to live in the vicinity and wanted to “renew my acquaintance” with the area after a decade in the Southwest. I used my Twin XL “Purple Mattress” and “Purple Pillow” for the trip, mostly for afternoon naps with the dogs (my Yamaha inverter generator doesn’t have the fuel capacity to last a night powering the A/C) but they really seemed to enjoy the experience. While I’m working on my trailer I’ll see if I can’t find something with greater longevity, even if it’s neither as compact or quiet, because I can’t always find a convenient power hookup.
okmacrae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:14 am

I have found that 90% of the time a good roof fan will work in lue of AC. There was only one time in traveling all over the US did I wish I had AC. (Free's up were you can camp)
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm about you age and inherited a couple of rescue pups (Toy Longhair Chihuahua and Rat Terrier / Chihuahua mix) from my late wife 7 years ago. They usually go wherever I go, whether car camping, hammock camping, or in one of my two camp trailers, one of which is set up to also haul a dual sport motorcycle. I have rigged a couple of portable shaded pens for them for the daytime but keep them inside at night. The only time on a leash is when I'm hiking or walking them.

You are within a half day drive of some great camping areas and a central location for pleasure touring.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby okmacrae » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks, M.C., I’m “owned” by a 9-year-old Shih Tzu (15 lbs.) with a collection of allergies and a 5-year-old shorthair Chihuahua (5 lbs.) with problems caused by a deficient diet as a pup. They go everywhere with me, too; they’ve only been boarded when I’ve been admitted to the hospital. They spend very little time on a leash; in stores and while traveling is pretty much the limit. I have to have a HEPA air filter available for the Shih Tzu, and their diet has to accommodate the Chihuahua’s needs so having a small microwave oven available is desirable, but it’s a small price to pay for the fun we have together. I know how great this area is for traveling; that’s why I decided to stay here after my parents passed. The rest of my family lives in the D.C. area, and the trips back for holiday visits are a part of the reason why I’m investigating owning a teardrop.
Last edited by okmacrae on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
The only days I consider “wasted” are the ones during which I fail to receive knowledge, impart knowledge, or perform an act of kindness.
okmacrae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby okmacrae » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 pm

I’d have to agree, KennethW, but my furry “partners” need resources that require 120VAC, so I might as well have A/C available. Both trips up the west coast required nothing but heat after I got north of Sacramento, and the time I’ve spent in the Four Corners area (I’ve a Navajo friend that retired from the FBI lab in Quantico, VA that I visit on occasion) and the Ozarks (my sister lives in Eureka Springs, AR) I could easily have done with just a fan. But I’m not traveling alone, and there’s no reason I shouldn’t put it in for the next owner anyway...
okmacrae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:21 am

No one said air conditioning need be a permanent mount. If summer camping looks to be unbearable I remove the window shaker from the house and toss it in the barn camper. Upon arrival I place it on a shallow rack ( more like a tiny pallet) under the trailer out of the direct sun. I built a small removable duct to bring in JUST the cold air discharge. I ignored trying to recycle the return air to the unit. Many who try and recool the cooled air experience freeze up of the unit. It has never been a problem with my set up and with 6000 BTU's the little unit cools the 6 x10 camper very well.

The inlet duct is under the eves and dumps out just over the bed to allow the cold air to fall over you while sleeping..
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby okmacrae » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks, bobhenry, when I actually decide what it is I'm going to build, I may ask you for some specifics on your setup, though, in principle, it doesn't seem that it would be difficult to adapt.When I finally decided to build my own trailer, I thought that most teardrops were quite similar. I've since found that they're about as individual as the owners/builders, and I have to narrow the choices to suit my construction capabilities and materials available (I am leaning toward building what seems to be referred to as a “Benroy”, though). So if I don't hit you up again for a couple of months, please understand that I'm having some difficulties making those decisions...and I really appreciate all the comments/suggestions I've received from forum members. One trip with a rental is simply not representative of all the possibilities these little trailers are capable of producing.
Last edited by okmacrae on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
okmacrae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby M C Toyer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:00 am

You might want to drop by this gathering near you in 5 weeks to get some ideas and meet some enthusiastic teardrop campers.

Cooper Lake Doctors Creek April 5-7 2019

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=70408
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby okmacrae » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks, M.C., got a "heads up" from Coyote about that, so if you see an ancient, bearded longhair with a couple of cute dogs wandering around, it's probably going to be me. Yeah, I have a lot of decisions to make by the time it warms up around here (like, mainly, what it is I intend to build), so I'm going to take advantage if what y'all going to have for my "partners" and I to look at. I should have a 1720-lb. NT trailer chassis assembled and titled by then, and I hope I'll be able to make an informed decision after our visit to your "show"...
Oops, sorry, it's a Harbor Freight trailer, not a Northern Tool..
okmacrae
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves