Removable teardrop progress!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Removable teardrop progress!

Postby daytimer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:56 pm

I've been working on a removable Big Woody. I wanted to still be able to use the trailer for general cargo. I have made great progress, but I've reached a stump. I'll save the long description. You can see in the pic how I'm managing it. But, when I lift it, it swings backwards into the hydraulic cylinder on the hoist. How can I reconfigure how I'm lifting it to keep it from swinging backwards? I thought I could adjust the lengths of the chains, but that didn't help.

20190225_135644 resize.jpg
20190225_135644 resize.jpg (192.88 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
daytimer
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Removable teardrop progress!

Postby John61CT » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:40 pm

Longer arm, or winch it from a pulley

lift point needs to be over over longitudinal COG
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:54 pm

What John said. Your lifting point is aft of the center of gravity of the TD body. No matter what you do with the chains, it'll still swing toward the porta-crane until the weight is balanced below the hook, or it runs into an obstacle.
If your TD body is less than 1,000 lbs, you could fab a longer sliding lifting arm to get the hook out further, but you'll also lose a little in working height.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby daytimer » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Well crap. That's kind of what I was thinking, but I hoped there might be an easy fix. I do have to finish the back end yet. It's been too cold for any woodwork. We'll see how much more weight gets added to the rear when it's done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
daytimer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iggy3860 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:04 pm

Here's a thought.

As most of the weight is at the back, the centre of gravity [CoG] is towards the rear.

Why not move the pick up points so that it balances around the CoG & pick it up from 'behind'?
Iggy
[Ian McLaren]
iggy3860
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:06 pm

We'll see how much more weight gets added to the rear when it's done.

Where's your battery going?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:35 am

a simple method to locate the true center of gravity(COG) is to place a 6' piece of pipe(not plastic) cross wise under the tear w/ it on the floor

roll the tear fore n aft until it balances

mark boldly w/ sharpie

this point will change as construction continues and items are added

any time you lift with a boom that pivots the arc of the lifting point moves aft/nearer to the pivot point

the above suggestion to create a longer arm may be your only potential solution unless you can rig a lifting point in the rafters

a second hoist in the front could also be a potential solution since the trailer tongue is only bolted in place the trailer frame could be rolled in place from the side then pivoted for alignment

a child's swing set( A-frame ) is another possibility for lifting point #2

having 2 lifting points can solve your issue

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:47 am

The ideal is a design that lets the axle placement fore vs aft be easily adjusted.

Gives maximum flexibility for ad-hoc layout adjustments as the design evolves,

locking the axles in just behind CoG, tongue weight at 10% becomes a final tweak, rather than a hard constraint.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ae6black » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:55 pm

When I do this I just slide with a paired set of ratchet winches. Normally takes about 1/2 hour from start to finish once I remove the bolts that anchor my tear to my trailer. I also tend to use gravity to help either putting my tear or the tow vehicle up on a set of 2 X 6 blocks, nothing complicated, nothing fancy, it has just worked for me one or two times a year for the past six years that I've been doing this. The td is simply winched on or off to a take down cradle of three frames that are held together by 2 x 4 or 2 X 6's. the 2x 6 is on the top to help guide the removal by serving as a guide that stands proud of the cradle that i slide on to . Sorry I never took any pictures, not really that complicated.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby daytimer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:06 pm

Battery will probably end up on tongue of the trailer.
The lifting points can't be moved. They are 2 inch hitch receiver tubes that are built into the base of the teardrop.
Guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes once the rear is finished.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
daytimer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:10 am

I was going to do something similar and had planned to simply lift the shell slightly and place a few rollers ( heavy wall pvc) under the shell and roll it onto a waiting platform on casters that is almost the same height. Now with the rollers then removed the rolling "deck" could be moved about as needed with little effort should the stored shell be in the way.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:22 am

Run an attachment from the tip of the hoist boom to the front of the trailer. A simple rope, if you know knots, or a ratching tiedown will be enough. This will pull lightly on the front to keep the teardrop from rocking. I'm sure it is that simple, try it.

Tom
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques