The Geek's Lair

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Geek's Lair

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:59 pm

Well it actually took 3 different tries. I originally had the rear of the unit exhausting into a compartment with a hole in the floor to let the exhaust out. That didn't work as planned because the exhaust built up in the compartment causing heat and the compressor would shut off. I had to actually make a curved duct that directed the air flow out and down through the floor. Also, I had not planned on needing air to flow in a cross draft manner through the unit to cool the compressor. I had to cut holes in each side of my cabinet and mount two computer fans, one blowing in and one blowing out to pull air through the unit (or the compressor would shut down.) Once I figured all of this out it ran consistently for 4 days during 90゚ temperatures over the 4th of July weekend, and perfect ever since.
Figuring it all out was anything but fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:09 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Well it actually took 3 different tries. I originally had the rear of the unit exhausting into a compartment with a hole in the floor to let the exhaust out. That didn't work as planned because the exhaust built up in the compartment causing heat and the compressor would shut off. I had to actually make a curved duct that directed the air flow out and down through the floor. Also, I had not planned on needing air to flow in a cross draft manner through the unit to cool the compressor. I had to cut holes in each side of my cabinet and mount two computer fans, one blowing in and one blowing out to pull air through the unit (or the compressor would shut down.) Once I figured all of this out it ran consistently for 4 days during 90゚ temperatures over the 4th of July weekend, and perfect ever since.
Figuring it all out was anything but fun.

Makes sense ! Might just make dividers like cabinet facing so it would be a rectangle with a big hole in the middle so air would be able to move but id still be able to put drawer sliders on. I'd prefer to get away without additionnal computer fans if I can :)
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Me too. But the confined space and the limited/no air flow dictated it for me

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 pm

Atomic77 wrote:Me too. But the confined space and the limited/no air flow dictated it for me

I'll probably try it first with the rectangle frame since that framing would still be useful with the fans added. Which size fans did you added?

PS im reading your build journal ATM !
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 pm

GeekFisher wrote:
Atomic77 wrote:Me too. But the confined space and the limited/no air flow dictated it for me

I'll probably try it first with the rectangle frame since that framing would still be useful with the fans added. Which size fans did you added?

I don't think there is anything in there about the AC. We were trying to get finished up enough to go on our maiden voyage, when I noticed the compressor stalling out. (The fan is still blowing so you don't realize what's happening until you figure out its no longer blowing cold.) We tested it in the shop, in about 70° temps with no trouble. But as the temperature started to rise the troubles began. And it all boiled down to the exhaust not being able to freely get away, and the air flowing side to side. In a cabinet that air is trapped. Here's the fans I got. I wired them to a switch. If I forget to turn them on I find out soon enough when the compressor kicks out.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Thanks,

I would like to see your ac setup :)
Thats what I meant with rectangle :157414
Blue part would be empty so its almost like there would be no dividers. Its a side view btw.

Very Nice build of yours btw ! I love your Floor and I am interested in your diesel heater as well (2kw here though)
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:26 am

GeekFisher wrote:

Hope you get something out of it! Shouldn't take more than a week or so to read it!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Atomic77 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:34 am

I'm still working on the Diesel Heater. Since the cancer I don't do things like I used to so everything takes longer now. I couldn't decide on the 2 or the 5. I won't sleep in it without a window cracked for safety, so I was worried the 2 wouldn't keep up. Now I'm glad I went with the 5kw because it's actually variable, 1kw-5kw. It appears it can be regulated. So rather than go small and it not be warm enough, I decided I will regulate with the roof vents if necessary. So we'll see.

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Atomic77 wrote:I'm still working on the Diesel Heater. Since the cancer I don't do things like I used to so everything takes longer now. I couldn't decide on the 2 or the 5. I won't sleep in it without a window cracked for safety, so I was worried the 2 wouldn't keep up. Now I'm glad I went with the 5kw because it's actually variable, 1kw-5kw. It appears it can be regulated. So rather than go small and it not be warm enough, I decided I will regulate with the roof vents if necessary. So we'll see.

I was affraid the 5kw would be too noisy even with the muffler on and use more fuel.

I heard different things on 2kw vs 5kw.

Some Claims the 5kw is too toasty and noisy and some Claims 2kw and 5kw are in fact the same units. I Will Wait for you to install/test yours before pulling the trigger though :thinking:

You saying the 5kw is variable or adjustable is conforting me they are the same units...
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby twisted lines » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:37 pm

Atomic77 wrote: I don't do things like I used to so everything takes longer now.
:worship:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:18 am

twisted lines wrote:

I did my galley cabinets facing tonight. I took a bunch of picture as promised but let me first start with the awesomeness of the Kreg pocket hole jig !

I will post everything tomorrow !
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeekFisher » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 pm

twisted lines wrote:
I am going too forget about cabinets for now; Because I am not confident nor have I ever tried, so please take lots of pictures so I can learn from you :)

A promise is a promise.

<DISCLAIMER>I ain't no wood worker, cabinet maker or experience TD builder</DISCLAIMER>

That being said I'm more than happy with the cabinets results and I am in fact, pretty proud of them even if no perfect (was my very first time)

I first did a rectangle that has multi purposes:
[*]Hold the shelf
[*]Hold the cabinet facing
[*]Hold the cabinet/countertop light

I screwed the rectangle on wall 2x2s and glued them to the meranti.

Right after I cut the shelf from floor's scrap plywood and installed it (glued/stapled with air nailer)

Then I made the frame facing of the cabinet out of knotted pine with Kreg pocket hole jig. Mine as a wide rail on top to clear the galley door/door frame. YMMV adjust accordingly.
I also did a wider center section to match the light 5.5" and I will add charger/12V socket there.
I fixed the facing with staples but the best way would have been to run screws from behind the rectangle so they'd be hidden. Was also glued and top edge stapled/glued thru the top (I don't have my root plywood yet, only the ceiling one. Shelf is flush with the opening and I planned on an undercabinet plywood but will keep it this way finally, not ugly at all IMHO.
I made the door a weird way. I used oak 1/4 leftover from the floor but instead of slotting wood piece, I cut them to size (+1/2 four sides vs door opening) and glued the 5/16 moulding right on the plywood with TB2 and it turned out great. I screwed the hinges through both plywood and moulding.

Here is the final result:

I will likely have to trash/redo the countertop though :( I'll try sanding it tomorrow and recoat it with epoxy. We'll see !
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:51 am

Looking good! My kreg jig is invaluable!

Michael

The Astroliner

Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:32 pm

GeekFisher wrote:

A promise is a promise.

<DISCLAIMER>I ain't no wood worker, cabinet maker or experience TD builder</DISCLAIMER>[/quote]

I am right there with you on that; I was blessed with a friends Kreg set and it is nice.
Unfortunately I am not moving at the same pace you are, I think I got about 1 hour in the shop so far this week :cry:
Nice job on the cabinet's :thumbsup: I think your going to be done with your doors before I am too :lol:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeekFisher » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:44 pm

twisted lines wrote:
I am right there with you on that; I was blessed with a friends Kreg set and it is nice.
Unfortunately I am not moving at the same pace you are, I think I got about 1 hour in the shop so far this week :cry:
Nice job on the cabinet's :thumbsup: I think your going to be done with your doors before I am too :lol:

I am moving forward with what I already bought so far I Will likely slowdown in the next few weeks !
GeekFisher
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals