New to tnttt from northern MN

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New to tnttt from northern MN

Postby FBJcreation » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi All. We are planning a retirement toy. We have some construction experience from lots of personal building projects but building a tiny travel trailer is a new one. A Canned Ham aka stand up in teardrop. Light enough to pull by a small SUV but big enough for longer use and not too expensive. Construction methods and designs seem endless, as does $$$ and features. So looking for thoughts, ideas, and opinions as we design and build it. In turn, we'll offer any we come across. So far we have found ideas from boat builders to be most helpful. Consider a travel trailer is more or less a boat where the water and weather come to you rather than you to them. Anyhow thanks for having us aboard.
FBJcreation
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New to tnttt from northern MN

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Welcome to the board.

Look forward to you posting your build ideas here.
Hope you decide to build a trailer.

I saw your reference to boat building methods.
Something very helpful I read here on the forum while I was planning my build was, think aircraft not tank.
It can be easy to overbuild. Light can be very strong when done right.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:11 am

Hi and welcome to the forum Mr. Lahey has something there. My own experience in different building projects has led me to my own build . Drawing on various skills and hobbies. The desire to pull your TD with a lighter vehicle is a good goal and one that you must keep a constant watch on during the process . I like hardwood cabinet's and have them in my TD project but must create those pieces with less stock than I would normally (i.e. face framing and doors). Spars in roof and cored walls must be adequate in there strength to support your design . The analogy with aircraft is one I use since I was into ultralight flying and see the affect of design for strength and durability.
Good luck on your build :)
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:47 am

Welcome to the group, you will enjoy the small side of camping. :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby EZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:42 am

FBJcreation wrote:Hi All. We are planning a retirement toy. We have some construction experience from lots of personal building projects but building a tiny travel trailer is a new one. A Canned Ham aka stand up in teardrop. Light enough to pull by a small SUV but big enough for longer use and not too expensive. Construction methods and designs seem endless, as does $$$ and features. So looking for thoughts, ideas, and opinions as we design and build it. In turn, we'll offer any we come across. So far we have found ideas from boat builders to be most helpful. Consider a travel trailer is more or less a boat where the water and weather come to you rather than you to them. Anyhow thanks for having us aboard.

That sounds like a great start, both what to build and how to build it. I am in the process of building a Tiny Travel Trailer modeled after the Donutboy special, "Retro Camper". One of many "standys" you might find on this forum. You can see Jerry's build journal at:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=33938&hilit=puffin+for+four Come to think of it, I have not posted one pic of my new build yet.....

Foam/ply sandwich construction is popular for lightness, strength and insulation. Straight foam ("Foamy") is more radical but looks like fun to try. Welcome, good luck and enjoy the process!

Ed also from The Great White North
EZ
Donating Member

Postby low277 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Welcome from another northerner. Great forum here and great people with lots of talent and ideas.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves