Newbie Electrical Help

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Newbie Electrical Help

Postby DWT77 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:36 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:DWT77,

Nice wire diagram.

Question: Do you, in fact, have have both your DC negative buss bar and the negative side of the Ctek unit wired directly to the negative post of your battery, as shown in your diagram?

I could be wrong, and am still learning, but I thought that the only wire that should be attached to the negative post of the battery is the negative wire to the shunt with all negative DC loads attached to the other side of the shunt, so that the Victron monitor can read all amps running in and out of the battery from all sources.

Thanks for sharing.

Featherlite, I am hooking up the electrical over the next couple of weeks. I have a trip planned for April 6th so I need to get everything hooked up before then. I don't have any connections made as of right now.

With that said, I have never hooked up a shunt to a RV/Teardrop system before. I am not 100% sure on the negative wires for the battery and shunt just yet. I don't recall on the diagram that came with the battery monitor showing any additional equipment hooked up to it like the CTEK solar panel charger ect... You very well may be correct though. If it monitors all charges and discharges of the battery then possibly all negatives need to go there.

Since you mentioned it, I was also concerned about if I should take the negative from the negative buss bar and move it from the battery to the shunt. The shunt has the negative from the PD 4045 going to it. So I think it would read all of the amps/watts from the PD 4045 while on battery. I'm just not sure how that works when the teardrop is on shore power and the DC Bus gets power from the PD 4045 converter. That is why I ran the separate negative line to the battery instead of going to the shunt. I hope all of that makes sense.

Sorry Russ not trying to jack your thread!
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Rusty99 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Hi Wayne,

Very nice diagram indeed. So your suggestion for me on the positive side of the battery is to put the switch first then the fuse right? Just want to make sure I get it correct?

I will have to have a more careful look at your diagram as I am sure I will have some questions.

Cheers,
Russ
Rusty99
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DWT77 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:00 am

Rusty99 wrote:Hi Wayne,

Very nice diagram indeed. So your suggestion for me on the positive side of the battery is to put the switch first then the fuse right? Just want to make sure I get it correct?

I will have to have a more careful look at your diagram as I am sure I will have some questions.

Cheers,
Russ

I was saying that my diagram is incorrect. Tony is correct it needs to be as close to the battery as possible.

So in my diagram the 50 amp fuse needs to be moved to the other side of the cut off switch closer to the battery.

I don't know why I didn't catch that when I drew it up.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby H.A. » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:02 pm

When not connected to mainspower and inverter is running.
From what I can see on those cocktail napkin drawings...
Precisely what AC loads are connected on the inverter ?
H.A.
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets