A/C Units

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

A/C Units

Postby JEB » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:48 pm

I am planing to build a teardrop and am just in the process of pricing components. I would like to have an A/C unit in my Teardrop. Any suggestions?? Thanks JEB aka Jim :thinking:
JEB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:57 pm

If you have to price components, then you can forget about the roof mounted one...

Get a window unit, that has a built in thermostat. You'll be happy with that.

Do a search to find the myriad ways they have been mounted.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:08 pm

Mine is mounted in the front, as I sleep head-to-back... I plan on building another tear that will incorporate all the things I've learned in the past 2 years... and it will probably be mounted remotely, as in set on the ground, under the tear, with duct work connecting it to the tear... more people seem to be doing it that way, and it keeps the noise or most of it, outside the tear itself...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:13 am

...the least expensive way to go is a 5000btu(+r-) window unit...under 100 bucks at most box/discount stores...anything else is appreciably higher in costs...probably the next best is the www.petcool.com which is near 500 bucks.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby rmcelroy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:20 am

I was lucky enough to find an original 2000btu petcool from a place in Miami, for a little under $300. I used 2 1/2 dust collector fittings and hose from Woodcraft for the ducting and bring it in tru the wall with 50 amp waterproof electrical covers (they had to be bored out slightly).

Now that my trailer is tight I have an A/C test sheduled for this weekend, I may just pull it outside and take a nap :)

Mc

Edit: for those of you that want a thermostat inside- it can be done. My brother designs assmbly line controls. My thermostat is wired into a sand bin controller (when a sand bin starts to get empty it fills it back up) when the thermo kicks on and off the controller kills and supplies the power to the 110 outlet the a/c is plugged into. Kinda messes with my mind, I would have put a power strip in and flipped it on and off. I'm pretty sure this is the only TD with a sand bin switch.
Wheather you think you can or you think you can't, your right.

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby Rickxr2 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:26 am

I bought a inexpensive 2 speed 5000 btu and wish I had spent a little more on the unit. I wish my unit ran slower and quieter.

Rick
Image Image Image
Rickxr2
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion