O.D.D. Version 1.0 An off-road teardrop build.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: O.D.D. Version 1.0 An off-road teardrop build.

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:37 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Looks great Todd!

Your teardrop looks wonderful, and the photographs really show off the scenery. I really like the night shots with the stars.

Inspires me to work to get ours finished!

Tom

Thanks, There were a few mile stones during the build and you are past the first one, getting the walls up. :thumbsup: Not sure if the first trip is the last mile stone yet but is was a great feeling.

We will have to meet up for a weekend trip somewhere when you are done. There has to be some cool place to camp half way. Pie Town NM is on my bucket list. :thinking:

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:38 pm

soapcreek wrote:Congrats on the first trip! The trailer and scenery both look amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, yours is coming along too.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:59 pm

tony.latham wrote:Okay, just between you and me.

While you and your wife were sitting in camp, and your neighbors were crawling up and down their ladder monkeying with bedding and stuff, did you give each other an inter-camp eye roll? :frightened:

:thinking:

Tony

HA yes it did happen more when breaking down camp. The RTT went up fairly quick once the trailer was level. But much more time to put everything away. The first day my wife had our chairs put away while I was putting away the tables. The second day I told her the chairs will be the last thing packed. We had everything else packed and ready to go in less that 10 minutes. We sat in our chairs and had an iced tea just enjoying the views.

Cooking was so easy too. The Partner Steel stove is awesome, maybe the only con is it is on the loud side. My wife said she wants to get a fridge sooner than later. :worship: The friends had one and we had to put some stuff in theirs because our ice was getting low. We were going to look at Expo West next month but the one we are looking at we can get Expo pricing and he will throw in the shipping, I just need to pick up at the freight yard. Seems like a good deal.

Still need to get the water working that will be nice, working on that now.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby DWT77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:13 am

KTM_Guy wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:Looks great Todd!

Your teardrop looks wonderful, and the photographs really show off the scenery. I really like the night shots with the stars.

Inspires me to work to get ours finished!

Tom

Thanks, There were a few mile stones during the build and you are past the first one, getting the walls up. :thumbsup: Not sure if the first trip is the last mile stone yet but is was a great feeling.

We will have to meet up for a weekend trip somewhere when you are done. There has to be some cool place to camp half way. Pie Town NM is on my bucket list. :thinking:

Todd

Speaking of Pie Town part of the Continental Divide route goes through there.

https://expeditionportal.com/overland-r ... al-divide/
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:03 am

KTM_Guy wrote:I'll try to get some close up shots of what I have done since the last build post.
Todd

Very Nicely done; I hope to see a picture of your table wing :shock:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Nice Build!

Postby Dusty Mark » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:17 am

I enjoyed reading your build journal. You did an awesome in both planning and building your teardrop. We upgraded to an ARB-63 12-volt cooler recently. Looking forward to that...
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:10 am

Todd and his wife Meg rendezvoused with us at our camp in southern Utah a couple of weeks ago. We had a wonderful chat about life and teardrops. (Again Todd, thanks for the effort.) Bonafide good folks.

I would have loved to get a pic of both our campers sitting side-by-side but there wasn't room behind that little rock. (Which had a rattler living in the cracks.)

His teardrop is the the definition of craftsmanship from the chassis up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm sure I'll incorporate some of his "stuff" into my new build.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks Tony that means a lot coming from you. I think we could have spent a week together and not run out of things to talk about. As we were driving the dusty road to pavement I kept saying,” I should have asked about....”

Maybe the Maiden voyage for number 4 will be another desert trip. We will plan more time for sure.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun May 26, 2019 11:27 pm

I have been real bad at updating my build, I have been working on a lot of the small details. We have been getting out and using it on a few 2 and 3 day weekend trips. So far most everything has worked as planed. We have been getting all new supplies for the galley. Still need to get the heater connected but we have had a few cool night (coldest was 25 degrees so far) and have been plenty warm sleeping. The heater will be nice in the morning though. It pulls nice, we have around 3,000 on road and maybe 400 off-road miles. The next thing to work on will be a sun, wind, rain cove at the galley.

Here are a few pictures.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon May 27, 2019 8:52 am

You two are (almost) having too much fine with that fine trailer.

:D

Tony

p.s. and you set an awfully high bar for teardrop photos...
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon May 27, 2019 11:33 am

tony.latham wrote:You two are (almost) having too much fine with that fine trailer.

:D

Tony

p.s. and you set an awfully high bar for teardrop photos...

Double down on Tony's PS! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 28, 2019 5:51 am

Triple. Nice pics!!! :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 am

Todd, amazing night shots! Looks like the build is working out well for your style of camping. Want to see more shots of the outdoors when you have a chance.

Any news about the shoulder (my pains were due to lifting plywood sheets, didn't happen 30 years ago...) or weight on the trailer?
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:55 pm

noseoil wrote:Todd, amazing night shots! Looks like the build is working out well for your style of camping. Want to see more shots of the outdoors when you have a chance.

Any news about the shoulder (my pains were due to lifting plywood sheets, didn't happen 30 years ago...) or weight on the trailer?

I have been wanting to do an update on the tear. I need to get some current photos. I get home from work and just can’t get out to the 115 degree garage. I’m sure you can relate. :lol: where are you in NM? We are trying to make some plans to get out there.

Thanks for asking about the shoulder, my wife thinks it was from a mountain biking crash I had a few month before I had the pain. I don’t bounce like I did when younger. I did some PT and am doing fine now. I’ve noticed that plywood is getting harder to handle by myself.

On the way home from a trip we stopped at a CAT scale and with the camper still connected to the Jeep we came in at 1724. So add 200 pounds or so for the tongue weight. I have added some more weight since then and still have a little more to add, spare tire and a water tank will be the heaviest. Looks like I’ll be upgrading the Timbren to 3500# springs soon.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby ricky herbold » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:31 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:
noseoil wrote:Todd, amazing night shots! Looks like the build is working out well for your style of camping. Want to see more shots of the outdoors when you have a chance.

I have been wanting to do an update on the tear. I need to get some current photos. I get home from work and just can’t get out to the 115 degree garage. I’m sure you can relate. :lol: where are you in NM? We are trying to make some plans to get out there.

Thanks for asking about the shoulder, my wife thinks it was from a mountain biking crash I had a few month before I had the pain. I don’t bounce like I did when younger. I did some PT and am doing fine now. I’ve noticed that plywood is getting harder to handle by myself.

On the way home from a trip we stopped at a CAT scale and with the camper still connected to the Jeep we came in at 1724. So add 200 pounds or so for the tongue weight. I have added some more weight since then and still have a little more to add, spare tire and a water tank will be the heaviest. Looks like I’ll be upgrading the Timbren to 3500# springs soon.

Todd

Did you end up switching to 3500# timbren springs? Curious how everything lined up with the 2x2 cross tube, holes, fenders. I’m thinking about doing the same thing. Also what did you end up doing with your water tank.

P.S. that is a beautiful build.
ricky herbold
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals