El Sol - Solar Powered Battery Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

El Sol - Solar Powered Battery Trailer

Postby stupido » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Been a lurker on this site for a long time and always wanted to build a Teardrop but going to start small. A while back I came up with an idea of a portable amateur radio station with battery and solar power.

The ARRL Field day gives a bonus to natural radio stations. I have done this in the past years with a low power station (<5 watts) and small solar panels. I thought why not go big? So I bought two 100 watt panels and decided to mount them on a trailer.

The general idea is to have 200 watts of solar energy and battery backup in a small trailer. 200 watts is chosen as than is the approximate energy draw of a 100 watt transceiver while transmitting. The standby draw is way less. I figured on a 48"x40" Harbor Freight trailer with two 140 AH batteries and the previously mentioned panels. Without doing much calculation, I figured this setup would last the entire Field Day weekend.

So been waiting on Harbor Freight to have the small trailer for sale given the recent tire recall. Instead I ended up with the 96"x48" folding trailer for $200 after coupon and discount for destroyed packing. I will build it as a 48"x48". I bought two mono-crystalline panels (Renology) and a charge controller. I have two used AGM batteries.

Decisions are whether to build the Field Desk into the trailer or make it a separate unit. Trailer needs to be light enough for me to man-handle and tow with my yard tractor (to put it into the back yard). Batteries are about 200 and trailer a touch more. So almost 500 pounds to start. Highway tow vehicle has no issue as it is a Chevrolet Colorado with 5500 towing capacity.

I may want to make the battery box removable, so I can use the trailer for other things.

As far as electrical, I am trying to decide on two separate systems and a A/B switch or connect both batteries with a Schottky Diodes.
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Re: El Sol - Solar Powered Battery Trailer

Postby stupido » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:42 pm

Of course the name has to be El Sol. Good beer too. I will add pictures soon.
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby stupido » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Highway Tow Vehicle

Gazillion Trailer Parts

Solar Panels
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby stupido » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Since the side rails have the trailer a-frame tongue brackets welded in place, I am limit in my axle placement. But the center cross member mount places a convenient hole such that I can bolt the spring hanger in place to mark the rest of the new mounting holes. Basically bolt 39 will go through the center cross member hole.

I end up with a 65/35% split instead of the preferred 60/40% split.

In addition to drilling holes in the hanger and the rails, I need to notch the hanger ever so slightly to clear the center cross member horizonal bolt

stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby stupido » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:32 pm

Well as my spouse said yesterday, "How many things are you juggling?" Lots. So Its been a bit but I have made metal shavings and started assembly. I made the notches for the bolts with a bench grinder and a dremel. Got all the new holes drilled. Put the hubs and wheels on to see how high it would be. Need to repack the bearings. What is the blue grease anyway? Got a close match for the paint at Home Depot.

stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby stupido » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:09 am

Well I have made very little headway on this project. But I have put the trailer to use. From how the lawn tractor behaved, it would not like the full weight. So I probably will down size the batteries a bit. Besides. this year's field day I had the panels but instead of the big batteries, I had two 40AH batteries. I had no issues transmitting and maintaining charge. SO one battery and parallel the panels.

stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:24 pm

stupido wrote:Well I have made very little headway on this project. But I have put the trailer to use. From how the lawn tractor behaved, it would not like the full weight. So I probably will down size the batteries a bit. Besides. this year's field day I had the panels but instead of the big batteries, I had two 40AH batteries. I had no issues transmitting and maintaining charge. SO one battery and parallel the panels.

I’m guessing your mower isn’t geared to put torque on the ground the way a garden tractor would.

You might consider a powered trailer dolly. I’ve seen versions that have a 120v motor and cord as well.

https://parkit360.ca/products/electric- ... se-version
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby stupido » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:58 am

After I posted this, I thought about it for a while. It pulled the travel on flat level ground with no problem. It was when I was trying to get between trees and over a small stump it made sounds I didn't like. If I cleared a proper path it should be OK. This model is built on the garden tractor chassis but has the lawn mower K46 trans-axle. I suppose I could upgrade the trans-axle. Several people have done with good results.
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby stupido » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:34 pm

Field Day 2019. Same as Field Day 2020 but the shed it bigger. I want to incorporate these into the trailer. My 40 AH batteries are getting weak but I have new ones.
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:33 pm

Are you planning to mount the panels flat or have some way to tilt them up?
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby stupido » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:51 am

I am planning on making a frame for them with a hinge at the front of the trailer so they could tilt up.
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Return to Build Journals