Walk on Roof Option?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Walk on Roof Option?

Postby Chickenthief » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:00 am

Montana and Idaho are amazing.

Maybe it can be taken as a good sign that we have digressed. No one has seen fit to come out against a standard roof on 16" centers, and no one is strongly opposed to seeing someone pay the extra $630.00 for a walk on roof option. Maybe it's safe to assume that either configuration has its own application and can be made to work within the proper design limitations. I won't need to plan on having a half dozen beery friends on the roof of my trailer in the Daytona infield, so maybe best to reserve the extra funds for plain old maintenance, repairs, and all that other boring stuff.
Chickenthief
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am

You might want to verify the roof spar spacing. My 6 x 12 Pace has Roof spars on 24" centers. I had to install a steel frame to carry the weight of the rooftop A/C. It was installed in the roof vent opening (14 x 14), and I built the frame to spread the weight between two roof spars. However, I have seen 4-5 ft. of snow up there for months with no apparent damage. The insulation and inner ceiling may add a little to the shear strength of the roof and preventing sagging, and the load of snow would be evenly distributed, as opposed to footsteps.
Food for thought....

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Chickenthief » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 pm

McDave wrote:You might want to verify the roof spar spacing. My 6 x 12 Pace has Roof spars on 24" centers. I had to install a steel frame to carry the weight of the rooftop A/C. It was installed in the roof vent opening (14 x 14), and I built the frame to spread the weight between two roof spars. However, I have seen 4-5 ft. of snow up there for months with no apparent damage. The insulation and inner ceiling may add a little to the shear strength of the roof and preventing sagging, and the load of snow would be evenly distributed, as opposed to footsteps.
Food for thought....

McDave

:thumbsup: That's very reassuring to know that 24" centers with insulation can handle that kind of load.
Chickenthief
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions